Author Topic: Britpop bands: where are they now?  (Read 9000 times)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
Re: Britpop bands: where are they now?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 01:51:55 am »
i was sad to see no mention of geneva. perhaps they were later on and not nearly as big but their debut album was brilliant.

and the travis show was brilliant tonight. they slagged dc. i guess someone complained about the keyboard player not smiling enough. Seriously!? They ended with Flowers in The Window with the whole band huddled around Fran. I loved Dougie's songs that he sang on. It reminded me of a best of show - not much played off the new album. I loved the dedication to the new-moms, pregnant moms etc, as theyre all now fathers - "my eyes". "selfish jean" is now as popular as some of their early songs. and a whole bunch of their early songs. I couldnt have been happier. Fran was working the crowd and all over the place. And Dougie was so happy - smiling and waving at the crowd. Band definitely had a good time.

oh and no mention of ash or the charlies - thats gotta be sacreligious. i can only assume because each of them still make music and tour somewhat - that must be why. the charlatans so need to co me back since theyve cancelled their last 2 shows I was supposed to see of them.
HeyLa

Giles

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 01:16:04 pm »
i was sad to see no mention of geneva. perhaps they were later on and not nearly as big but their debut album was brilliant.

and the travis show was brilliant tonight. they slagged dc. i guess someone complained about the keyboard player not smiling enough. Seriously!? They ended with Flowers in The Window with the whole band huddled around Fran. I loved Dougie's songs that he sang on. It reminded me of a best of show - not much played off the new album. I loved the dedication to the new-moms, pregnant moms etc, as theyre all now fathers - "my eyes". "selfish jean" is now as popular as some of their early songs. and a whole bunch of their early songs. I couldnt have been happier. Fran was working the crowd and all over the place. And Dougie was so happy - smiling and waving at the crowd. Band definitely had a good time.

oh and no mention of ash or the charlies - thats gotta be sacreligious. i can only assume because each of them still make music and tour somewhat - that must be why. the charlatans so need to co me back since theyve cancelled their last 2 shows I was supposed to see of them.

no Geneva or Ash - for shame!  As for the Travis show, I was too busy watching Andy than Fran or Dougie  ;)  Fran's always did that dedication before "My Eyes" - it's old hat now, but the song is still great.  I'm glad they didn't play alot of the new album, as I've only heard the singles from off said album.  Great show all in all. 

Giles

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 10:57:29 am »
There's a 3 CD set coming out in the UK on June 8 called 'Common People: The Britpop Story'

and here's the tracklisting

CD1

The Auteurs ? 'Lenny Valentino'
Elastica ? 'Stutter'
Gene ? 'Be My Light, Be My Guide'
The Stone Roses ? 'Love Spreads'
James ? 'Laid'
Dodgy ? 'Staying Out For The Summer'
Saint Etienne ? 'You're In A Bad Way'
Dubstar ? 'Stars'
Blake Grape ? 'In The Name Of The Father'
Duffy ? 'London Girls'
Marion ? 'Sleep'
These Animal Men ? 'Speeed King'
S*M*A*S*H ? 'Shame'
Cast ? 'Alright'
Bluetones ? 'Slight Return'
Perfume ? 'Lover'
The Boo Radleys ? 'Wake Up Boo!'
Menswear ? 'Daydreamer'

CD2

Pulp ? 'Common People'
Supergrass ? 'Alright'
Sleeper ? 'Inbetweener'
Echobelly ? 'Great Things'
Powder ? 'Afrodisiac'
Northern Uproar ? 'Rollercoaster'
Paul Weller ? 'Thechangingman'
The Divine Comedy ? 'Something For The Weekend'
Babybird ? 'You're Gorgeous'
My Life Story ? '12 Reasons Why'
Denim ? 'It Fell Off The Back Of A Van'
Kula Shaker ? 'Tattva'
Mansun ? 'Wide Open Space'
Salad ? 'Drink The Elixir'
Placebo ? 'Nancy Boy'
Longpigs ? 'She Said'
Ocean Colour Scene ? 'The Riverboat Song'
Shed Seven ? 'Chasing Rainbows'

CD3

Super Furry Animals ? 'God! Show Me Magic'
Suede ? 'Trash'
Kenickie ? 'In Your Car'
Theaudience ? 'A Pessimist Is Never Disappointed'
Catatonia ? 'Mulder And Scully'
Space ? 'Female Of The Species'
Embrace ? 'All You Good Good People'
Gomez ? 'Whippin' Piccadilly'
Geneva ? 'Into The Blue'
Rialto ? 'Monday Morning 5:19'
The Seahorses ? 'Love Is The Law'
Hurricane #1 ? 'Step Into My World'
Monaco ? 'What Do You Want From Me'
Spearmint ? 'Sweeping The Nation'
Lodger ? 'Always Round Here'
Earl Brutus ? 'SAS And The Glam That Goes With It'
Stereophonics ? 'The Bartender And The Thief'
Gay Dad ? 'Oh Jim'

MIA bands: Lighting Seeds, Oasis, Blur, Straw, Lush. 

of the bands listed, I've seen in concert Stereophonics (multiple times), Monaco (9:30) Seahorses w/ Mansun (Black Cat) Geneva (Reading Festival) Embrace (Reading Festival) Space(9:30) Catatonia (Reading Festival) Suede (Reading) Super Furry Animals (multiple times) Placebo (9:30) Kula Shaker (9:30) My Life Story (Reading Festival) Babybird (Reading Festival) Divine Comedy (Black Cat) Echobelly (9:30) Supergrass (9:30) Pulp (9:30) Boo Radleys (9:30) Cast (9:30) Dubstar (Reading + Shepherds Bush Empire) Dodgy (Reading Festival) James (multiple times) Stone Roses (Reading festival) Gene (Black Cat) Elastica (Black Cat)

by the way there's a new Lightning Seeds album coming out at the end of May. 

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 12:10:19 pm »
Speaking of britpop - Chairlift has the worst cover ever of Babies. It was so awful - that I was surprised that I even realized it was a Pulp song. I hope to never hear that again. And I just love that Stereophonics song.
HeyLa

The Big Crunch

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 11:07:58 pm »
Hey, I was also at that 2001 Travis show.  It really was fantastic.  For a band that often was accused of being mid-tempo to the point of snooze-inducing, they actually lit the place up like rock stars.  At one point they even let a guy from their fan club come out on stage and propose to his girlfriend.  Yeah,, it's cheesy in retrospect, but if you were there, I'll bet you loved it  8)  Lots of energy at that show.  They did an exceptional job of making the show have the intimate feel of a small club gig and the energy and bravado of a first-rate stadium act.  I really haven't cared for anything since their third album (which itself wasn't exactly a world beater) and as such, didn't make it out to the recent show.  I still have no doubt they put on an excellent concert.

I also go on record as saying Loise Wener circa '95 is one of the hottest women to have ever lived.  Years later I am still an unrepentant Sleeper...maybe one of the last ones around  :o

bearman🐻

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 11:31:46 am »
I totally remember that 2001 show. I saw a bunch of shows post-9/11 where bands were kind of trying to spread the love, but Travis brought it that night. There were a bunch of us afterwards that hung out with them and they were signing stuff and being super cool. I remember the guy that proposed, right after he did that they played "Flowers in the Window". It was actually a pretty touching moment.

eros

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 12:08:28 pm »
At that show too and will pretty much echo what everyone else said.

A lot of folks may have seen this, but if you haven't I'd recommend Live Forever

The soundtrack is pretty comparable to that set listed above (only 2 CDs) and includes Oasis and Blur.
ʎɐʍou

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 12:24:12 pm »
That film is pretty good.  Or you could just break out all of your Shine compilations again.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 12:30:18 pm »
Chairlift *are* awful. Period.

Speaking of britpop - Chairlift has the worst cover ever of Babies. It was so awful - that I was surprised that I even realized it was a Pulp song. I hope to never hear that again. And I just love that Stereophonics song.
(_|_)

Arthwys

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 02:02:46 pm »

I also go on record as saying Loise Wener circa '95 is one of the hottest women to have ever lived.  Years later I am still an unrepentant Sleeper...maybe one of the last ones around  :o

Agreed.  Pretty damn smokin'.    I find I'm in the mood for Sleeper every now and then.
Emrys

Relaxer

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 03:02:25 pm »
I remember shitting my boner when I read an interview with her where she said she loves to "shag backwards" whatever that means
oword

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 03:11:06 pm »
You probably would get shit on your boner from shagging her backwards.

I remember shitting my boner when I read an interview with her where she said she loves to "shag backwards" whatever that means