Author Topic: The Kills.  (Read 5189 times)

Medusa

The Kills.
« on: April 23, 2009, 11:43:19 pm »
I've been under a rock (read: working WAY too damn much) and sadly haven't been able to play in this forum much.

Which leads me to ... The Kills!  Just saw that they are playing next week and I wonder who else from this board plans to go.  I'm going!  Missed them last time they played in D.C. and I told myself that when Mr. Kate Moss (a.k.a. Jamie Hince) came to town next I would be there.

So I am really excited about this gig! :)

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: The Kills.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 02:07:23 am »
Can't make it to the show, though I'd like to.

Just wanted to say that it's good to have you back in the forum.  ;)

Medusa

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 04:19:30 pm »
Thanks, Jaguar!  Hope to see you around soon!

I plan on buying my ticket tonight for The Kills.  It better not sell out between now and then. ;)

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 04:29:30 am »
It will be phenomenal...and I *will* be there.

Pull A U is going to kick all kinds of ass on the 9:30 Club's new sound system.

Not to mention, this might be the last time for a while that we'll see The Kills, since Alison is going to front The Dead Weather on a full-time basis starting this summer.
Woof.

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 09:28:26 am »
I'll be there.

They absolutely stole the show at Coachella a few years ago ('05 I think).

Last year at ACL, they weren't nearly as good, but they were on stage at 1 PM in the full on Texas sun with no shade.  Allison looked like she was going to die.  She kept trying to play the show from the back of the stage where there was some shade.

Looking forward to seeing them in a club setting.

Samantha

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 07:06:49 pm »
I can't decide.  I had been planning on going to this show based on recommendations, but now I'm not so sure.  ARGH!  It's not going to sell out, is it?

Medusa

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 11:12:48 pm »
Hey, maybe we could meet up/hang out at the show?  I know one other person going to this show, and it would be fun to meet up! :)

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

Relaxer

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 09:52:26 am »
I'd be pretty surprised if this sold out.

FYI, they get a bad rap, but both of the Horrors' albums are pretty damn good. I saw them play at the Hotel a few years ago and it was terrible, but if I were going to this I'd make time to catch them.
oword

Vas Deferens

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 10:05:20 am »
the new Horrors album is very goooood...but Twilight Sad will be the better show ;)
(_|_)

Medusa

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 09:10:41 am »
SO excited for tonight!!!

Feel free to spot me - I'll be in all black (surprise!), red lipstick and crystals near my eyes.

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

thirsty moore

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 11:36:18 pm »
I ended up going to see The Horrors based on a friend's recommendation.  They were alright.  Heavy on JAMC and Echo and the Bunnymen.  Whatever.  Fun times.

azaghal1981

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 01:24:46 am »
Horrors were the clear highlight for me.

I heard slightly more MBV than JAMC.
احمد

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 02:08:36 am »
Horrors were the clear highlight for me.

I heard slightly more MBV than JAMC.

Admittedly, I haven't heard a thing from their new album but I was completely horrified by their first release. Thought it was pure and utter NME Cockney trash and the furthest thing in the world away from either JAMC or MBV. I'm totally baffled here. Are they trying to jump on the Shoegaze bandwagon by changing their sound or what? Based on their 1st album, I can't imagine that at all.

azaghal1981

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 02:41:11 am »
They may be. I honestly hadn't heard a note from them before tonight.
But there was indeed a great deal of gazing going on.
احمد

Samantha

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 07:26:11 pm »
I thought maybe I heard Echo & the Bunnymen in there but thought I was maybe hearing things.  Maybe it was the kid's voice?  I only heard the first album which I thought was mostly a Bauhaus rip off...mixed feelings about that...but I guess they didn't play much from that album?  Anyways, I thought they put on a good show.  I much enjoyed it in spite of myself.  Throwback to smack shenanigans though they look younger than me and probably have never touched a needle.

The Kills were interesting to watch but I just don't "get" the music, I don't think.  Maybe it's too hip for me.  I feel like I missed my calling in life...I'm sure I could make strange, vaguely sexual convulsions and stares on stage while singing in a decent voice and looking reasonably attractive in something trendy.  Is that really all it takes to get a crowd so excited?  "OMG SHE'S SOOOOO HOT!"  I could totally do that, right?