Author Topic: What We do is Secret  (Read 4246 times)

bearman🐻

Re: What We do is Secret
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 01:32:34 pm »
I didn't think it was horrible...they did OK considering that production shut down because they ran out of money, but it didn't offer up anything new or reveal anything that the books didn't. In fact, they really downplayed the gay thing. It was merely suggested. Watching it twice now, I do think the parts where they feature Amber are pretty amusing, but some of those characters were larger than life in the books and on the screen they just seem pretty average. I'd give it 2 1/2 stars out of 4. I preferred "Control" about Ian Curtis. They did a better job recreating the music too.

vansmack

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 01:36:01 pm »
So I watched this last night and.....Didn't think it was very good at all.  In fact, it was almost horrible. 

Agreed.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 01:38:18 pm »
I preferred "Control" about Ian Curtis. They did a better job recreating the music too.

I watched the Documentary (Joy Division) and Control on back to back nights last month, and I much preferred the movie than the documentary, and that says a lot because I really liked the documentary.  Two great pieces in my eyes that should be the new standard.
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 01:38:37 pm »
I just thought all the characters were very cartoonish...especially Don.  He was downright painful.  I thought it was just kind of cheezy overall.

They did downplay the gay thing.  I give 1.5 stars. 

bearman🐻

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 05:35:25 pm »
Smackie, you get to see the Germs for real (minus Darby of course). They're playing in Oakland in June. God, I'd love for them to come back. Playing Pat Smear's guitar with my teeth was a blast.

vansmack

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 05:52:58 pm »
My brother in law is coming up for that show.  Bummer it's in Oakland and not the city proper, but should be cool.
27>34

bearman🐻

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 06:05:15 pm »
All the more reason why I need to move to the Bay Area. Smackie, I'll be there in early August. Here's hoping that there will be a cool show around then we can check out.

andyrichter

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 06:17:23 pm »
The Germs are playing July 4 at the ottobar.  I missed them the last time they came to dc.  How was that show?  I'm thinking of hitting this up.