Author Topic: Low Show Attendance  (Read 16529 times)

Sage 703

Re: Low Show Attendance
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 02:59:20 pm »
Primal Scream at 9:30 was just about empty.
It wasn't as well-attended as the last one, but "just about empty"??  I'd describe the attendance as "respectable."

Respectable would be an overstatement, I think.  I'd ballpark attendance between 300-500, just as a guess.  Just about empty might have been an exaggeration, but it certainly wasn't full.  The stage was all the way forward and there was still plenty of room on the floor.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 03:11:55 pm »
the Ben Folds w/ BSO show was low, for MPP standards, maybe 3000 people. but half were on the lawn that holds 10,000 and the other half in the pavilion which holds 7000.  made it look empty!

Sounds similar to when I saw The Kinks at MPP in 93, although I'd guess even fewer people.  We sat about 10 rows behind the pit and we pretty much had the row to ourselves.  We could have easily moved up to the first few rows, but there was really no point.   Maybe 1K people on the lawn.

bellenseb

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 03:18:53 pm »
A few I remember...

Vic Chesnutt, Black Cat Mainstage, 2003? Around 50 people in a little circle around the stage. Good show, he played "Isadora Duncan" on request.

Lots of sparsely attended Iota shows I can remember over the years, as in around 20-30 people. David Dondero, Lisa Germano, Micah P. Hinson, even Bill Callahan a few years back probably wasn't much more than that.

Arthwys

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 03:52:58 pm »
I remember seeing the Datsuns at 9:30 5-6 years ago and I'd estimate there were between 100-200 people there max. They still played like it was a sold-out Giants Stadium though, so bless'em for that.

I was at that show.  Though I think that was the 2nd time in less than a year that they had played 9:30, so that might have had something to do with it.  And yeah, still a hell of a show.
Emrys

ggw

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 05:24:50 pm »
Idlewild at the 9:30 on the 100 Broken Windows tour circa ~2000.  Seemed like only 50 people were there.

Chris Whitley at the 9:30 on the Rocket House tour.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 05:28:29 pm »
Stellastarr*/The Killers/Ambulance Ltd @ Alley Katz - <25 people

Hmmm...I was at this show with two other people, and I don't remember it being that sparsely attended.  Funny that we made up that much of the crowd, in that case.
You were at the Richmond show, not the Black Cat one? I know my friend and I went out to smoke (he smoked, I don't) and walked back in before stellastarr* and walked right up to the rail. There might have been more than 25, but I'd stake alot of money on there being less than 40.

Sage 703

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 05:58:08 pm »
You were at the Richmond show, not the Black Cat one? I know my friend and I went out to smoke (he smoked, I don't) and walked back in before stellastarr* and walked right up to the rail. There might have been more than 25, but I'd stake alot of money on there being less than 40.

Yeah, I was at the Richmond show.  I ate around the corner and missed the Killers.  I think we stood toward the middle of the floor, but it was awhile back.  To be totally honest with you I just don't remember that well.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 05:58:44 pm »
Alley Katz is a terrible venue.
FUKIT

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 06:06:36 pm »
To be totally honest with you I just don't remember that well.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, that's just how we remember it. I know we laughed at the attendance at the time, and now that The Killers have blown up it's even more of a LOL to us. But I'm sure the actual count is somewhere between my guess and yours, as is usually the case.

An absolute shithole. Viva The National and RIP Toad's Place and 929/Nanci Raygun.

The Triple is actually a nice small venue... for Richmond.

Sage 703

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 06:09:49 pm »
To be totally honest with you I just don't remember that well.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, that's just how we remember it. I know we laughed at the attendance at the time, and now that The Killers have blown up it's even more of a LOL to us. But I'm sure the actual count is somewhere between my guess and yours, as is usually the case.

An absolute shithole. Viva The National and RIP Toad's Place and 929/Nanci Raygun.

The Triple is actually a nice small venue... for Richmond.

I actually like Alley Katz.  It is a dive, for sure, but they have good sound.

hutch

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 06:18:56 pm »
The worse I remember is this semi-legendary Argentine band Los Ratones Paranoicos about two years ago at the State Theatre... These guys come all the way from Argentina and 20 people showed up.. It was embarassing....I think part of the problem was the promoter (whom I know) did not do his work.

They took it in stride and tore the roof off the place..But imagine being a band that has been filling up arenas and opened up for the Rolling Stones at stadiums a whole bunch of times and then you're playing in front of 20 people after traveling so far!

worked out well for me.. I even got to hang out with them backstage and talk with the guitarist (Sarcofago) about Chuck Berry.

Smylie

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 06:54:20 pm »
When I lived in Ohio I saw some shows with very few people, not really the case since i moved here.

The lowest here was probably Hayden at Iota, but that had to be 80-100 people.

In Ohio i saw:
The Comas - 30 or so people (Little Brothers)
Kevin Devine - <30 people
The Black Keys - <75 people(though the 'venue' was packed)

and my all time favorite

Afro Man - < 15 people

Vas Deferens

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 06:56:17 pm »
Oooh, I saw Hayden at Jammin Java (couple months later) and it was about 30 people!

The lowest here was probably Hayden at Iota, but that had to be 80-100 people.

(_|_)

betao

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 09:23:56 pm »

I actually like Alley Katz.  It is a dive, for sure, but they have good sound.

Alley Katz is an ok venue, they just normally book really terrible stuff.

The Triple is pretty cool. I saw Windy & Carl there last week. And it's about a 5 minute walk from my apartment in the fan.

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 09:42:26 pm »
I never realized you lived in Richmond, betao.