Author Topic: Low Show Attendance  (Read 16541 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Low Show Attendance
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2009, 11:07:51 am »
The Midnight Juggernauts show at the club last year was pretty sparsely attended 
T.Rex

bearman🐻

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2009, 05:20:25 pm »
I remember seeing Electafixion in 1996 and there were maybe 30 or 40 people there. Will Sergeant and Ian Mcculloch were doing a bunch of Echo & the Bunnymen songs and it was a real treat. The people that showed up were going wild. Great show, they treated those of us that showed up REALLY well!

ggw

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2009, 05:54:07 pm »
Does the BRMC show the night of Hurricane Isabel count?

distance

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2009, 05:55:04 pm »
i think the most sparsely attended show i've been to @ 930 was probably hank III in 2001 (june sometime?).

overall, though..
i saw mono in charlottesville back in 07 shortly after UVA had let out for the summer and there were maybe 30 people there.  in the middle of mono's set i was able to walk up to the edge of the stage.

back in 2002 i saw explosions in the sky (with opening act coheed & cambria) @ hole in the wall in richmond.  there were about 25 total people at the show.  it was a very small room and it wasn't even close to crowded.

other than those three shows, i can't really think of anything i've been to that's been particularly empty. claypool @ the norva in 2001 right after it opened was not very crowded, but it was at least half full.. which is still ~500 or something?

Relaxer

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2009, 08:48:31 pm »
Does the BRMC show the night of Hurricane Isabel count?

I was at that (Warlocks opened?) and remember that it wasn't packed but was still acceptably attended. But that was a long time ago.
oword

betao

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2009, 09:19:30 pm »
I never realized you lived in Richmond, betao.

I've lived here all my life, currently a sophomore at VCU.

imbecile

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2009, 06:34:53 pm »
Stellastarr*/The Killers/Ambulance Ltd @ Alley Katz - <25 people

Hmmm...I was at this show with two other people, and I don't remember it being that sparsely attended.  Funny that we made up that much of the crowd, in that case.
You were at the Richmond show, not the Black Cat one? I know my friend and I went out to smoke (he smoked, I don't) and walked back in before stellastarr* and walked right up to the rail. There might have been more than 25, but I'd stake alot of money on there being less than 40.

I was one of the <25 at this show.  I agree, it was criminally under-attended.  Certainly no more than 40 people there.

As for Richmond Venues.. agreed, thank god for the National.  I remember the flood zone was good for an occasional show years ago, but it folded and became umm.. Have a Nice Day?  maybe, not sure.. has a giant smiley face on the side now instead of the flood zone logo.  Also twisters.. well, I thought it was great.. for hardcore/punk/metal shows.. but once it became 929/Nanci Raygun it was complete crap.  I quite enjoy Alley Katz though, even if it is a hole.. I have hearing damage to this day from seeing Jay Mascis and the Fog there a few years back, with Mike Watt on bass... absolutely ridiculous and under-attended.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2009, 06:56:48 pm »
I was at that J Mascis & The Fog show at Alley Katz and still have a poster for it!! I don't remember it being crazy under-attended... we had to stay upstairs since under 21 and it looked pretty packed. AMAZING SHOW!!

imbecile

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2009, 08:49:06 pm »
I was at that J Mascis & The Fog show at Alley Katz and still have a poster for it!! I don't remember it being crazy under-attended... we had to stay upstairs since under 21 and it looked pretty packed. AMAZING SHOW!!

Yeah, it wasn't empty by any means, I just expected it to be packed and it wasn't.  Dino Jr hadn't been active for quite a while at the time, and his other projects hadn't been around for a while. 

aglanixp

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2009, 11:12:42 pm »
In 2004 I saw Tackhead at the Black Cat.
There were maybe 25 people there.
I got to talk to Adrian Sherwood for 10 minutes.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2009, 10:12:01 am »
it was the same deal at the arlington in ventura. there was nobody there. the highlight by far was hearing "The Killing Moon". Ian sounded absolutely amazing. The crowd was really into them which made up for the lack of people.

I remember seeing Electafixion in 1996 and there were maybe 30 or 40 people there. Will Sergeant and Ian Mcculloch were doing a bunch of Echo & the Bunnymen songs and it was a real treat. The people that showed up were going wild. Great show, they treated those of us that showed up REALLY well!
HeyLa

helicon1

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2009, 11:19:28 am »
In 1998, I went to see Harvey Danger and The Mayfield 4 at 930 following HFStival. There were literally four people in attendance (Myself, two friends and some guy by himself) plus the staff.

BookerT

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2009, 11:33:51 am »
In 1998, I went to see Harvey Danger and The Mayfield 4 at 930 following HFStival. There were literally four people in attendance (Myself, two friends and some guy by himself) plus the staff.

hey, i was at that show! do i know you???

Barcelona

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2009, 12:09:44 pm »
The Waterboys at the 9:30 in 2001 was a bit sad, cannot give an estimate, but very empty.

Sir HC

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2009, 06:00:48 pm »
Primal stage was not all the way up.  All the way up is second colum, barely enough room to get around the bar to the right.  I was at some Fletchers shows that were pathetic when they then played the 930 to 10x the people.