Author Topic: More Ticketmaster suckage  (Read 6344 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
More Ticketmaster suckage
« on: May 13, 2009, 10:21:42 am »
Springsteen Concert At Verizon Center Oversold

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Thousands of Bruce Springsteen fans who bought premium seats to his concert at the Verizon Center next week are being told they don't actually have tickets.

TicketsNow.com, a resale company owned by Ticketmaster, says it sold too many tickets.

Company representatives have been calling fans to tell them the bad news.

Customers are getting refunds, along with free seats much further from the stage than the ones they had paid for.

TicketsNow says the Verizon Center show is the only one with the problem.

😐 🎶

Bombay Chutney

Re: More Ticketmaster suckage
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 02:18:18 pm »
Getting into a N.J. Bruce Springsteen concert is harder than imagined

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/05/getting_into_a_nj_bruce_spring.html

Ticketmaster reveals where all the tickets went for the Meadowlands shows.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 07:55:13 pm »
Getting into a N.J. Bruce Springsteen concert is harder than imagined

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/05/getting_into_a_nj_bruce_spring.html

Ticketmaster reveals where all the tickets went for the Meadowlands shows.
I guess I missed how it's Ticketmaster's fault that Springsteen's band/crew/managment demanded 4500 tickets be set aside for themself and another 500 were, audaciously, set aside for handicapped people. That bastard ticketmaster.

Or did you mean to post this in our "More Springsteen suckage" thread?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:56:55 pm »
now now, jules, let's be a little more generous of spirit.  perhaps the he posted that here to defend TM - and where better to do it than the thread that disparages TM?  i don't see any negative or otherwise editorial tone in his post, it seems to be purely informative.

a bit quick to jump the gun, aren't we?
<sig>

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 09:03:58 pm »
I posted it here because I didn't want to bother with yet another TicketMaster thread.    I think TM still has more to do with this than they're admitting though, in which case, yes, it pertains to their suckage.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 09:07:30 pm »
I posted it here because I didn't want to bother with yet another TicketMaster thread.    I think TM still has more to do with this than they're admitting though, in which case, yes, it pertains to their suckage.
How, lol?

You're absolutely right, ticketmaster was just LOOKING for the opportunity to collect convenience charges on 14,000 tickets instead of 19,000 tickets. It's completely in their best interests for 5,000 of the tickets of this event to contractually be out-of-their-control. Why, I'm sure they wish all 19,000 tickets could have went to Springsteen's camp so they could collect no money whatsoever on the event!

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 09:09:05 pm »
I don't know what-the-hell world you people live in sometimes, but I know it's neither Julian's America nor Sane America.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 09:11:49 pm by Julian, Certified WEBLEBRITY »

Sir HC

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 10:28:33 am »
How, lol?

You're absolutely right, ticketmaster was just LOOKING for the opportunity to collect convenience charges on 14,000 tickets instead of 19,000 tickets. It's completely in their best interests for 5,000 of the tickets of this event to contractually be out-of-their-control. Why, I'm sure they wish all 19,000 tickets could have went to Springsteen's camp so they could collect no money whatsoever on the event!

Until they all go on the stubhub side of things at insane prices, with their take on those.

ggw

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 12:38:07 pm »
Ticketmaster Plans to Use a Variable Pricing Policy
By BEN SISARIO
Buying concert tickets may soon be more like booking an airline flight: what you pay could be determined by when you order.

The concert giant Ticketmaster announced a partnership Monday with MarketShare, a data analyst, that will look at ways to introduce what is known as dynamic pricing, which allows promoters to adjust prices according to demand. In theory, this would allow promoters to sell the most sought-after tickets at a higher price, while filling up the least desirable seats by charging less. Not every event would be sold that way. But it would also allow the company to compete more effectively against scalpers like StubHub.com.

?Efficient pricing is one of the most important and untapped opportunities to unlock value for fans, clients, artists and teams,? Nathan Hubbard, chief executive of Ticketmaster, said in a statement.

Ticketmaster, a division of Live Nation Entertainment, sold about 140 million tickets last year. But as more ticketing companies enter the fray, the company is under pressure to develop more competitive technology. Fred Rosen, Ticketmaster?s chief executive in the 1980s and ?90s, recently began a new ticketing company, Outbox, a joint venture with Cirque du Soleil and the promoter A.E.G. Live, Live Nation?s biggest competitor.

Ticketmaster said it would begin to introduce its new pricing policy for concerts and sporting events this year. Notably, the announcement said it would be introduced at Live Nation?s amphitheaters, where low attendance contributed to the company?s $228.4 million loss last year.

Some sports teams, like the San Francisco Giants, have been experimenting with dynamic pricing for years, but the music industry has been slow to adopt it. Concert promoters and theater owners tend to favor it as a way to sell more tickets and squeeze out scalpers, but artists often worry that they would appear to be exploiting their fans? loyalty by maximizing price.

In the announcement, Mr. Hubbard said that Ticketmaster was ?relentlessly focused on improving the fan experience and giving our clients amazing tools to sell more tickets.?

Some critics of the industry say fans play little part in the deal. ?The people who run dynamic pricing want to pitch it as a benefit to fans for lower-priced tickets to some events,? said Joris Drayer, an assistant professor of sport and recreation management at Temple University, who studies the ticketing industry. ?The reality is that this is a purely revenue-driven concept.?

Despite last year?s losses, pay for Live Nation?s top executives rose last year, according to a proxy statement filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday. The total compensation for Michael Rapino, its president and chief executive, was $15.9 million, more than double his 2009 pay of $6.7 million. Irving Azoff, the executive chairman, made $22.8 million, and Mr. Hubbard earned $5.7 million.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 01:11:42 pm »
Ticketmaster Plans to Use a Variable Pricing Policy
By BEN SISARIO
"In theory, this would allow promoters to sell the most sought-after tickets at a higher price, while filling up the least desirable seats by charging less."

Whatta concept!  ::)
😐 🎶

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 01:24:42 pm »
this has been coming for some time.  it's a logical reaction on TM's part.

Some critics of the industry say fans play little part in the deal. ?The people who run dynamic pricing want to pitch it as a benefit to fans for lower-priced tickets to some events,? said Joris Drayer, an assistant professor of sport and recreation management at Temple University, who studies the ticketing industry. ?The reality is that this is a purely revenue-driven concept.?

this is what really gets me.  for god's sake don't spin it as a plan being carried out on my behalf.  i'm fairly confident that the majority of fans prefer the current system to a variably-priced one, if only because it gives them a theoretical chance at getting good tickets at a cheap price.

coming soon: variably-priced beer at concerts.  "i got a miller lite for $20 - who'll pay $20 for it?  anyone?  how about $19?  i can wait, you know!  ok, $18?  SOLD to the man at the back of the line for $18!  next beer, starting at $20..."
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 01:28:56 pm »
Really makes sense...

Also makes sense I'll be going to even less Arena/Amphitheatre shows..

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 01:43:02 pm »
That was my initial reaction as well - stop going to arena shows.  But why wouldn't they be able to do this at the club level as well?  If you have 1,000 tix to sell, you can sell the first 700 at one price and bump it for each additional hundred you sell.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 02:46:06 pm »
If you have 1,000 tix to sell, you can sell the first 700 at one price and bump it for each additional hundred you sell.

the business man in me thinks they would do the opposite - start prices high and then lower them as the show date nears.

variable pricing only works for shows where demand is a lot higher than supply.  show that don't or just barely fill a venue aren't going to play around with variable pricing too much.
<sig>

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 03:00:02 pm »

I always thought someone should do a radius from the stage to the farthest away seat.  Then like, front row seats could be $100 and the seat farthest from the stage is $1 and then all the seats between are linear.  The person in front of you paid $1.25 more and the person behind you paid a $1.25 less.

The ball's in your court, Radiohead......or Kiss.

It's a day before 4/20 and I just BLEW ALL OF YOUR MINDS!!!!!

Brian