Author Topic: The Death of Vinyl - an historical document  (Read 2128 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
The Death of Vinyl - an historical document
« on: May 20, 2009, 02:19:03 pm »
The LP Is Dying. Here's Why (pdf posted on Google Sites)

Originally published in Pulse! March 1990.
😐 🎶

ggw

Re: The Death of Vinyl - an historical document
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 02:40:11 pm »
Does anyone have a good online source for vinyl? 

I have used Insound forever but their service is getting consistently worse.  Of the seven records (none of them pre-orders) I ordered on April 10th, they have only shipped one.  The rest are "temporarily out of stock" or "backordered."

Mark_Read

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 02:59:26 pm »
I've used this one a few times and they haven't let me down yet.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/default.asp

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:15:36 am »
I actually remember reading that when it was published...   I hadn't quite realized yet that vinyl was something I would miss.

_\|/_

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 08:35:51 am »
Does anyone have a good online source for vinyl? 

I have used Insound forever but their service is getting consistently worse.  Of the seven records (none of them pre-orders) I ordered on April 10th, they have only shipped one.  The rest are "temporarily out of stock" or "backordered."

wow, that's pretty bad... come to think of it, i placed an order on april 30th for 4 records and have only received 1

i like insound, but i've found that you really don't save that much by buying new vinyl online after shipping, crooked beat has a really great selection of new vinyl
(o|o)

walkonby

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 10:23:35 am »
you know, i predict the new indie will be going back to 4 track reel to reel.  the sound blows away the overhyped lp.  and all the cool bands will release secret albums on 4 track only.  apple will release the "i track" player that doubles as the new mac air book.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 01:39:11 pm »
forget death of vinyl... how about death in vinyl:

Beyond Awesome: Press Your Ashes Into Vinyl!
Forget about urns and gravestones - death just got a hell of a lot cooler.

Look, we've all gotta go sometime, and for many it's an immensely tough decision on whether to go the worms & dirt route or just have yourself incinerated to a pile of ash when it's finally time to kick the bucket.

Luckily, for music lovers the choice just became a no-brainer. With the help of AndVinyly's custom LP service, you can have your mortal ashes pressed into a custom vinyl recording that "your loved ones will cherish for generations.

Billed as "The perfect resting place for vinyl lovers,"  basic package includes a 30-run album with standard R.I.V. artwork (your name and date of birth/death on the cover and label). You can supply whatever audio your dead little heart desires, or the LP can be pressed with complete silence, so your more superstitious loved ones can listen for messages from the beyond in the pops and crackles of the record.

Pricing for their basic package starts at close to $3,500. The more financially inclined can pay (a lot) more to have their vinyl record distributed throughout ?reputable? record stores. The company is also offering portraits drawn by James Hague of London?s National Portrait Gallery to accompany the vinyl. Gotta have kickass album art, right?

To hell with the urns and gravestones. Now the real challenge is getting your family to understand how awesome it'll be when they put on "Runnin' With The Devil" and hear the sounds of your incinerated body parts.

http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/music/article/beyond-awesome-press-your-ashes-into-vinyl-110323
<sig>