Author Topic: Post's Summer Concert Preview  (Read 1751 times)

nkotb

Post's Summer Concert Preview
« on: May 29, 2009, 09:11:57 am »
The cover of the Weekend Edition killed me this morning.  It announced all of the great rock acts playing this summer...Dylan...Green Day...JAY REATARD?!?!?!

Man, that made my morning.

azaghal1981

Re: Post's Summer Concert Preview
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 09:25:54 am »
He's greater than the former two right now.

Almost as funny as when I called TM earlier this  year to order a Jay Reatard ticket because the website wasn't taking my card info.
احمد

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 09:35:00 am »
Who needs Jay Retard when you have this?

A Coffeehouse That Really Rocks

By Nancy Dunham
Special to The Washington Post
Friday, May 29, 2009

Greg Porch isn't looking to conquer the music world.

The 18-year-old Woodbridge High School senior just wants to cut out a slice for himself. Atlantic Records co-chief Jerry Wexler famously said the best way to succeed in music is to bump into a genius and hold on tight. That's what Porch does (metaphorically anyway) as he soulfully plays songs by Keith Urban, Rascal Flatts and others late into the night.

"He's really grown since he's played here," said Linda Caldwell, owner of the Coffee House of Occoquan. "You can see it more every time he plays."

Those who drive by the coffeehouse may think of it only as a gathering spot for java hounds or those who shop for atypical jewelry, pottery and gifts, but it is much more. Almost every Saturday starting at 7 p.m., some of the finest musicians in the area, fledgling and professional of all ages, come to play.

It has been that way for about 13 years, ever since Caldwell agreed to host an open mike. The event soon evolved into a must-attend Saturday event for musicians from as far away as Tennessee, many of whom have managers, CDs and music industry connections, and others who arguably should.

Ken Smith, 50, one of the players with one foot in Nashville and one in the Washington area, is among the group that first approached Caldwell about a weekly music gathering.

"It's really morphed into something," Smith says. "We play outside in the summer, and it's really like Wolf Trap. People gather, kids play. It just doesn't get much better than that."

Set on a busy corner of Occoquan, the one-time residence that was converted into the coffee shop still feels very much like a home. The wood floors creak just a bit as one walks through the back room where coffee, baked goods and simple fare such as hot dogs are sold. During the week, most guests sit in the front room at tables and chairs, which are replaced by rows of chairs during music events.

Even though the evening is advertised only by a small sign outside the venue, the House is often packed by 8 p.m. Evenings often have at least one giant singalong, generally when a musician plays a contemporary classic such as James Taylor's "Carolina in My Mind" or Taylor Swift's "The Best Day."

"People can come down here any night they want and fit right in," Caldwell said. "We're not just friends, we're family."

Denise Philpott, 52, of Alexandria found solace in that camaraderie after the death of her significant other and losing her job in 2007. An area musician, Philpott said she particularly enjoys the mix of ages and musical genres.

"This is unique among open-mike-type events," said Philpott, who occasionally plays there. "[At least one of the players] doesn't belong at the Coffee House in Occoquan. He belongs at the top of the country charts. The magic doesn't always happen every week, but it happens often enough that it's worth the trip there."

Steve Brady, 52, of Fredericksburg, who stopped in for coffee one Saturday night, said he was surprised by the caliber of music.

"I liked the music very much," Brady said a fe w weeks after he attended. "As a matter of fact, we were at [an open mike] in Fredericksburg and I said, 'We should go up to the Coffee House in Occoquan. The music there is 10 times better.' "

A love for world-renowned classical guitarist Andrés Segovia is one factor that compelled Ron Medina, 55, of Occoquan, to master the intricacies of Bach's "For the Glory of God," which he played recently.

"You get there and you play, and you forget about everything for four hours," Medina said. "You hit the zone, forget your worries; you only think of the love of the music. It's just a sheer joy."

When Ashburn resident Marty Spell attended the first open mike at the Coffee House several years ago, he said, he left shaking his head over such players as Medina.

"I recall just being so impressed and loving the talent there," he said. "In a way, it's daunting to play there because of the caliber of the performers, but it's a very warm, open atmosphere."

Open Mike at the Coffee House of Occoquan Most Saturdays at 7 p.m. 202 Commerce St., Occoquan. Contact: 703-492-8976. http://www.coffeehouse.historicoccoquan.com.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 10:42:58 am »
wow, i wonder if there are any local upcoming rock festivals that could have used the free advertising...

nah, nothing comes to mind.
<sig>