Author Topic: Great news for eMusic Subscribers  (Read 38666 times)

El Jefe Design

Re: Great news for eMusic Subscribers
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 03:06:30 pm »
Saddle Creek was added recently. Victory and Epitaph are no longer on. Add those and Sub Pop and I would have been okay with the increase but again, don't care much about the Sony catalog

vansmack

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 03:14:19 pm »
I hate to beat a dead horse, but their business model has been flawed from the beginning.  They survived on people not using all their credits, and now they are doing what they can to survive.  I don't fault them for this, nor am I exactly acting surprised.
27>34

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 09:28:10 pm »
Kosmo, looks like you need to go in and edit your thread title.  ;)

Real shame because eMusic was always the best of the music download services out there.

It also looks like the big guys are finally accepting new, internet based modes of music distribution. Bad thing about that is that once they get in, they usually take over everything and ruin it all for both the fans and the smaller more independent artists and labels.

In the end, somewhere down the line, we'll find yet another avenue that they will eventually take over. It's an endless and inevitable cycle.

I'd be real curious to see how how many of their subscribers will bother with much of the Sony crap. Sure, you will at first get a certain bulk who will download Beyonce because they secretly kind of like that one song and have the credits to use or lose so just go for the whole album. Then there are those who never listen to them anymore but liked Areosmith way back in high school so they too download them just to use up credits. Oh, there's Celine Dion. Mom likes her so go ahead. Download that crap and burn it to a disc and give it to Mom. She'll be happy as long as you make sure you burn it as a music file to play in her CD player. Maybe I'm way off base but it just seems that a lot of the Sony catelogue isn't really the best for a big bulk of the average internet savvy types. Beyonce will appeal to a lot of them (though not most of us) but I honestly don't think that a lot of their fans do much in the way of downloading. Sony may even think this but just want to get their hands in control of eMusic for more corporate control though I don't really know about that. Just knowing how some very big corporations sometimes think and pondering out loud.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 10:35:53 pm »
Actually it's good news for me as my subscription recently got reupped for another two years :D  of course my subscription is part of the problem  :P

I think that the pairing of the announcement of arrival of the Sony Music catalog and the price increase was a really bone headed thing to do.  If they had done some gradual price increases and properly rolled out their new album pricing policy, less people would be considering quitting.   It's clear the pricing increases were going to happen regardless of the Sony Music catalog.   By pairing the two, you only get the dander up of the people who dislike major labels and is essential the opposite of what eMusic has stood for.

The music nerd in me still thinks there maybe some out of print gems, b-sides, remixes and other rarities lurking around in the Sony catalog, however it will be months before we see any of that as the priority will be to get the mass market online.

They really should be creating a separate service in order to handle the Sony,etc catalogs and leave the eMusic site and community as is...
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 12:22:16 pm »
I'd be real curious to see how how many of their subscribers will bother with much of the Sony crap.

I think current subscribers are missing the point.  This isn't about playing nice and pleasing the majority of current subscribers (a model I've already descibed as unsustainable).

This is about trying to lure new subscribers, and the best way to do that would be to offer a more widely varied catalog.
27>34

Bags

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2009, 02:34:22 pm »
Well, finally read the personalized announcement of how my plan will change, and on March 10, 2010, my plan will go from $191/yr for 90 downloads a month to $175/yr for 35 downloads a month.  Means I'm quitting on March 9, or whenever I use my last allocation.  With 90 downloads, I don't mind that there are months I download little of my allocation, but having those credits expire makes 35 per month something I'd want to use fully.  Hope the new subscribers are suffiicient to keep them afloat.  With iTunes dropping that protection software limiting use, eMusic may face a world of hurt if they're not competing on price so much.

El Jefe Design

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2009, 03:43:40 pm »
The upload of all the new music happened today with a ton of back catalog appearing from Bruce Springsteen, The Clash, Iggy, etc... I still have the regular amount of downloads which will change for me on the 11th and then I get 50 downloads w/a Booster Pack of 25 available (which, do I have to use that right away or whenever I want?). Any suggestions one what to blow this on? I have a few Bruce albums but did not know if there were a few hidden gems I should get. Any other album recommendations out there?

El Jefe Design

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2009, 03:45:18 pm »
And just to follow up - on some Springsteen albums it says "Album Only" under download. Does that mean you have to get the whole album (and spend an extra 4 credits) or it is not available? Hmm... not liking this so far.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2009, 04:29:48 pm »
Yes, correct.

I'll be downloading some Leonard Cohen tonite.

And just to follow up - on some Springsteen albums it says "Album Only" under download. Does that mean you have to get the whole album (and spend an extra 4 credits) or it is not available? Hmm... not liking this so far.
(_|_)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 12:02:03 pm »
eMusic adds titles from the Warner Music Group

http://www.emusic.com/features/hub/just_added/index.html

which is great news and a much better addition than the endless Trance and Tribute albums (Bluegrass, string, etc)
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2010, 12:50:07 pm »
uh this might not last long

Where The Action Is entire boxset 12 credits

Stax-Volt: The Complete Singles 1959-1968  9discs 12 credits (be sure to find the one with the entire set)

basically a lot of boxsets going cheap right now

i.e. big star, funky soul classic, the stooges fun house set,
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 01:15:02 pm by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

redsock

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2010, 01:31:43 pm »
Very cool, too bad they don't have the Hippo sets on e-music. I'm searching around for others, but let us know if you see anything else worth it...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2010, 01:53:12 pm »
Neil young archive,  there's a thread or two on the emu message board.... Lots of jazz boxsets and another Atlantic soul set

isn't hippo a universal imprint?
T.Rex

redsock

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2010, 02:18:03 pm »
Sorry, yes Hip-O select is, and that's what would be great. Hippo is a fine label on its own, reissuing a lot of African music.

Thanks for the note on the forum, patiently seeing what else is being Dl'd. Neil Young Archives is pretty damn cool as well...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2010, 08:28:21 pm »
Well those boxsets were incorrectly priced so they are gone for now... I wonder  how many of mine finished before the pricing got fixed.

Regardless,  I'm excited as Atlantic Soul is one of catalogs I haven't heard much of.  Plus I see there are some OOP Rhino handmade available. i.e. Rank and File
T.Rex