Author Topic: Snow Patrol  (Read 11198 times)

redsock

Re: Snow Patrol
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2004, 11:24:00 am »
Originally posted by El Tee:

Originally posted by redsock:
  ROLL CALL!!

I'm going with clovette and likely others...

PS- I hate to bring it up, but I started talking about Snow Patrol before anyone else did on this board, so anyone who goes should owe me a beer or something.
Yea, I'm glad you are doing the roll call now as the weekend is slow here. I will be there. Cds in hand in lieu of a beer, redsock? [/b]
Even better!

Jaguär

« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2004, 01:19:00 am »
Originally posted by pollard:

Originally posted by redsock:

PS- I hate to bring it up, but I started talking about Snow Patrol before anyone else did on this board, so anyone who goes should owe me a beer or something.
raebyddet was talking about them 2 years ago [/b]
That's right! Along with most of the rest of us.   :roll:  

I'll probably be there.

bungle bud

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2004, 06:29:00 am »
ive been talking about puressence for the past decade so erm i must listen to more music,snow patrol eh i think i will go

eltee

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2004, 12:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by bungle bud:
  yeah the deal normaly runs till sat, then new deals on sunday.
Or...one can buy it at Target for $8.99...I jsut discovered it's an even better deal considering the youngin' behind the counter forgot to scan another item I bought for $50. (don't worry I'm going back - no bad karma.)

Bags

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2004, 05:44:00 pm »
FYI, if you're in the 'hood and want to either check her out or see if you want to hit the 9:30 Club tomorrow night to see her open for Snow Patrol:

Revolution Records in Van Ness

Sat. April 17th -- 4pm
 Carina Round -- Interscope Recording Artist (For fans of PJ Harvey)

Bags

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2004, 03:16:00 am »
Great show.  I've been loving the album, but only for a week, so I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the show.  Band was way in to it, as was the crowd in a "more than your DC norm" way.  They played well, jumped around a lot, had fun and seemed genuinely happy at such a good reception.  Not a crowded show, but a healthy one for (1) a late show, and (2) a band in DC for the first time.

The band said they're coming back in September, likely to 9:30 again.

eltee

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2004, 10:35:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
  The band said they're coming back in September, likely to 9:30 again.
A friend remarked when the come back, he suspects they will sell out. It was nice to see people coming out of the woodwork for them. Seems as though they have a long following from some. The band definitely seemed happy and maybe a little suprised (as did Carina) at the reception. They definitely "rocked it out" further then their cd, as I hoped they might. They seem pretty tight playing together, vocals, sound were great. I lent a friend my cd, I already want it back. Was the last song off of their first album?

megs

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2004, 09:10:00 pm »
goodness me such a good wee show!! i was pleasantly surprised by the turnout, not to mention their excellent performance. not many bands could recover as well amidst technical glitches. and how cute they are...sigh.

bungle bud

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2004, 09:17:00 pm »
er not very?

Darth Ed

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2004, 12:38:00 am »
A surprisingly good show when it was rocking. It got kind of slow in the middle, but it ended very strongly.

I think just barely missed Carina. I arrived at the club at 11:45pm, as I had other plans earlier in the evening and had a long commute from the 'burbs. How was she? Should I buy her CD?

bungle bud

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2004, 06:26:00 am »
she was shite, dont buy the cd unless you like second rate tracey bonham cack.

brennser

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2004, 07:47:00 am »
pity I missed what seemed like a good show - by the time I should have been heading out to 9.30, the whiskey bottles were out and there was no going back....

markie

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2004, 09:32:00 am »
Carina.....

Imagine a combinaton of Alannah Myles and Evenessence, now distill the worst parts of both......

Snow Patrol were rather Travis like, but Travis at their best..... hopefully they wont become as dull. I was quite surprised how good they were.

skonster

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2004, 09:56:00 am »
From the Post:

Snow Patrol

The world would be a better place if power pop bands would heed philosopher Francis Bacon, who concluded, "There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion." Take Scotland's Snow Patrol, for example. Frontman Gary Lightbody -- who also moonlights in the Reindeer Section -- sets his choirboy voice to drop-dead melodies to make flawless -- perhaps too-flawless -- music.

That seems to have changed on Snow Patrol's excellent new album "Final Straw," however. And as Lightbody -- who apologized for his brogue, promising "next time I'll bring subtitles" -- demonstrated Saturday at the 9:30 club, he isn't afraid to sacrifice prettiness for raw power. So much raw power, indeed, that on its penultimate song Snow Patrol temporarily shorted out the power, blowing the lights (the emergency lights kicked on) and microphones.

Lightbody isn't your typical shoe-gazer, preferring to twitch about the stage during the madly catchy "Run," the irresistible "Chocolate" and the fast-paced "Spitting Games." Snow Patrol didn't neglect to play a few painfully romantic songs (but in a good -- as opposed to Eric Carmen -- way), such as "An Olive Grove Facing the Sea" and "When It's All Over We Still Have to Clear Up." It also displayed some nice harmony singing, especially on "Same" and "Somewhere a Clock Is Ticking."

But the evening's highlight was "Ways and Means," a surprisingly funky tune -- the funk and the kilt, together at last! -- that had Lightbody singing, "Baby I can do it if I put my back into it." Given the surprisingly large and enthusiastic crowd who cheered his every move Saturday, he's right.

-- Michael Little

eltee

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2004, 11:02:00 am »
That's a good article. Can't wait to see them again.

Carina...um, I respect her guitar playing on the last song. She's a pretty beatnik (sp?) rocker..I thought she looked like Meredith Brooks behind her big guitar...Two songs to the end, her voice had some deepness and anger similar to Dolores O'Riordan/Cranberries, "Zombie". Would I buy her album? NO.