Author Topic: William Eggleston at Corcoran  (Read 1680 times)

HoyaSaxa03

William Eggleston at Corcoran
« on: July 04, 2009, 08:57:11 am »
went to check out the William Eggleston photography exhibit at the Corcoran yesterday ... i'm a cultureless pig and didn't really know who the guy is, so i was gobsmacked when the third photograph i saw was the cover for Big Star's "Radio City":

i'm sure this photograph is a lot more famous as a work of art, not as the cover to some cult band's sophomore album, but i thought it was really cool

also saw the photo that jimmy eat world used as the cover for "bleed american"

anyway, it's an amazing exhibit, made me want to get into photography more, everyone should check it out

http://www.corcoran.org/exhibitions/Eggleston/
(o|o)

slappy

Re: William Eggleston at Corcoran
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 10:31:14 pm »
Lot's of music folks use his stuff for covers.
He's good friends with Alex Chilton. One of his photos also ended up as Alex's 'Like Flies on Sherbert' cover.
The Primal Scream used one of his photos for 'Give Out But Don't Give Up'.
The Silver Jews also used one of my faves for 'Tanglewood Numbers'.
David Byrne commissioned him to shoot stuff for 'True Stories'.

You can also see where Sophia Coppola got her inspiration for the look of  'Virgin Suicides'

Excellent exhibit!

K8teebug

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:41:27 am »
I went to see this yesterday and loved it. 

eltee

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 04:54:57 pm »
If anyone wants more in depth:
William Eggleston in the Real World
Thursday, July 09, 2009    7 PM

Photographer William Eggleston created a sensation in the art world in 1976 when a collection of his work went on display at the Museum of Modern Art. His photography went against the grain of the conventions of art photography of the day with their heavily saturated colors and oblique, seemingly careless framing, but earned significant critical acclaim. In his award-winning documentary film, director Michael Almereyda reveals the deep connection between this enigmatic artist and his groundbreaking work.

Members FREE; Public $8 or Complimentary with Museum Admission

Unfortunately, at this time we are unable to process online registrations for free events. For member registration please call (202) 639-1770. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Members: $0.00    Public: $8.00