Author Topic: sonic youth reviews?  (Read 4730 times)

Vas Deferens

sonic youth reviews?
« on: July 07, 2009, 10:29:47 am »
did they do all The Eternal songs in a row?  Was it a bad idea?
(_|_)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: sonic youth reviews?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 10:39:46 am »
The setlists I saw when searching from earlier this year do not have all The Eternal songs straight through. It was like 2-3 eternal tracks, old song, 2-3 eternal tracks, old song...

I would also be interested in hearing a review. Seeing them Wednesday.

nkotb

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 10:41:53 am »
It reminded me a bit of the Thousand Leaves tour, except the new songs actually sound good.  Not my favorite time seeing them, but they still bring it pretty hard.  The only new song that really lost me was the long ending track...I mean, an acoustic guitar?!?!  It was like Storytellers up there or some shit.

Still, got a few choice old cuts: Catholic Block, The Sprawl, 'Cross the Breeze, Making the Nature Scene, Silver Rocket, and The World Looks Red, which was killer.

I was telling BookerT that I'm not sure if there's any one SY song that's the "holy grail" in terms of me never hearing it live.  I had never heard The World Looks Red before, so that was cool, but since I've been lucky enough to hear Death Valley, Expressway, Diamond Sea, etc., I'm just not sure there's much they'd play tonight that I'd kick myself for missing.  

Another two small complaints I have (about the band in general) is that

1) they seem so willing to skip some CLASSIC cuts from their Washing Machine and on discography.  I don't' want to hear much from Thousand Leaves, but give us a Wildflower Soul now and again.

2) While everyone can agree that Daydream Nation is the best album like ever, and while I'm sure glad I caught that show, I think they're now focusing too much on those songs.  They have 15 albums...and we get three from it?  

Still, those were super minor complaints, as they band killed all of the older material.  It's Sonic Youth...go because they rule.

did they do all The Eternal songs in a row?  Was it a bad idea?

Driveway

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 10:43:12 am »
The show last night was the best I have ever seen Sonic Youth.  I missed the last tour, but my first show was the Thousand Leaves show at 930.  They played most of Eternal, if not all of it.  They also played Silver Rocket, The Sprawl, Cross The Breeze, Catholic Block and some older ones I didn't recognize.  There was a pseudo rap song with Kim on the vocals.

I was way up front which was kind of a mistake.  This guy took pictures of Lee through the entire set.  A few pictures is fine, but I felt like someone from TMZ standing next to me.  People behind me kept talking and were eventually thrown out for smoking weed.  I was happy to see them go.

But yeah, other than those distractions, the band performed really well.  They seem more focused on songs than noise, though there was a healthy dose of that as well.

Endless Boogie is the most appropriately named band I have ever seen.  They were really entertaining to watch and listen to.  I wonder what the lead guy was on.  What was he mumbling about at the end of their set?  

I'm looking forward to the show tonight!

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 10:45:40 am »
Entrance is opening tonite. Does anyone know if Paz Lenchantin is a touring member of that group, or just in studio?

Epstein

• http://www.hit-dat.com
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 10:53:23 am »
paz was there in philly

im surprised so many people thought sonic youth was good

in philly i thought they were garbage, but thats just me i guess
Kill the sound: <A HREF="Http://www.hit-dat.com" TARGET=_blank>http://Http://www.hit-dat.com[/url]

Got Haggis?

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 10:56:39 am »
they sounded great, i think they played every song from the eternal...save for maybe one.

went to bens chili bowl before the show and thurston, kim, and their daughter were all there eating at the counter.

betao

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 11:16:25 am »
The setlists I saw when searching from earlier this year do not have all The Eternal songs straight through. It was like 2-3 eternal tracks, old song, 2-3 eternal tracks, old song...

I would also be interested in hearing a review. Seeing them Wednesday.

I'll be at that show too with a few friends, am looking forward to it.

andyrichter

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 04:59:27 pm »
wow.  just like that guy was yelling out loud in the crowd yesterday.  they killed it.  great setlist too.  the eternal is my favorite sy record this decade and i was thrilled to hear most of it although the acoustic 10 minute song is a little much.  i didn't get to see the daydream nation tour so i was stoked to see the sprawl, cross the breeze, and SILVER ROCKET!!!  world looks red was awesome.  fantastic show.  i was up near the front on the left and had a great view to boot.  i wanted to kill myself about 20 minutes into that 40 minute endless boogie song.  good god. 

RustyOrgan

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 05:08:01 pm »
I'm down!

azaghal1981

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 05:24:12 pm »
I liked the Endless Boogie jam.
احمد

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 05:28:53 pm »
I liked the Endless Boogie jam.

Hahahaha... I KNEW as soon as I saw you posted in this thread that you would be talking up the Endless Boogie jam.

azaghal1981

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 05:43:17 pm »
Oh yeah.

The SY set was pretty good, too. The new stuff came across well live with the exception of (like others said on here) "Massage the History."
احمد

thirsty moore

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 12:15:23 am »
I really liked SY's set tonight.  The Entrance Band was excellent.  Paz Lenchantin isn't just in the studio.  She's a touring member.  Definite power trio.

What was going on with the girl who took her top off in the balcony?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 12:37:58 am »
so tonight we got ALL of the Eternal plus Tom Violence, Death Valley, Hey Joni, Shadow of a Doubt and one other old one...

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:41:45 am by Hello Sunshine Marshmallow! »
(_|_)