Author Topic: Dear Velvet Lounge (aka YOU SUCK):  (Read 29785 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Dear Velvet Lounge (aka YOU SUCK):
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 05:40:08 pm »
related to this is "the velvet curse", wherein the openers play to a larger crowd than the headliner because the headliner hits the stage so late that people have already started leaving.

That's not a curse.  That's poor planning.

that's the logical explanation, but as far as the headliner is concerned it's a curse.  they showed up on time, there was a decent crowd for the openers, they get pumped up in the back room ready for their set, walk out on stage and... half the room has disappeared.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 07:04:36 pm »
Honestly, I think this is more of an indictment of Metro than of Velvet Lounge.  I mean, seriously, the latest train is at 11:52pm?  And this is the second-most used subway system in the country?  It just seems silly.

This is a good point. 

Metro, not facing any budget constraints as it is, should run later so 40 people at the Velvet Lounge can get home whenever the last band is finished.  How insensitive of them.....
27>34

walkonby

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 07:05:46 pm »
Honestly, I think this is more of an indictment of Metro than of Velvet Lounge.  I mean, seriously, the latest train is at 11:52pm?  And this is the second-most used subway system in the country?  It just seems silly.

This is a good point. 

Metro, not facing any budget constraints as it is, should run later so 40 people at the Velvet Lounge can get home whenever the last band is finished.  How insensitive of them.....

vansmack = amusing voice of reason

snailhook

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 07:49:36 pm »

Besides, rock and roll is a late night thing.  DC is pretty rare among the cities I've been to shows in, with the fact that most shows end by 11:30-12.  I've heard stories from friends that the average show at the Cat's Cradle in North Carolina ends at 2am.  When I used to live in New York it was pretty common to walk out of a show at 1am.

So if Velvet is the only place in town that routinely goes this late, I think those of us that rely on Metro are pretty lucky.

well said.

as the velvet lounge's representative on this forum, let me just say: boo fucking hoo.

i've said it numerous times before, and i will say it again: we are a rock club, and we don't cater to dc culture. we exist outside of it. rock 'n' roll and experimental music -- pretty much most of what we do -- doesn't reflect white-collar lifestyle (i.e., getting up at 7am and being in bed by 11pm).  shows in nyc, baltimore, philly, chicago, even most small southern towns, run late. ever been to the talking head in baltimore? they are as "bad" as the velvet lounge, if not worse. so are the m room and kung fu necktie and the khyber in philly, which are all equivalent in size to the velvet.

i've already explained why shows often run late. we don't have much space to work with, which makes loading in and out very difficult. we also book relatively unknown acts, meaning we need local support to bring people out. operating a small club like the velvet is very different than operating a well-oiled machine like the 9:30 or black cat.

there is also this catch-22: we wait for people to show up before starting since nobody wants to play for an empty room. if people actually showed up early, we'd start earlier. 

lastly, i've booked a ton of noise and experimental and free jazz shows at the velvet that have ended by midnight, since most of those types of acts share gear or play 20 minute sets or are often solos and duos. of course, only 5 people from this forum go to any of these shows.

bottom line: if you go to a sold-out show at the velvet, don't expect it to run smoothly or on time. be fucking grateful that you even get a chance to see these bands, considering the lack of decent venues and provocative music in dc these days.

teepo

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 08:16:52 pm »
*clap*

snailhook

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 10:15:38 pm »
ps: a thousand made up lies or whatever your name is, you have shit taste in music and we don't want you patronizing us anyway. thanks and good night!

azaghal1981

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 10:37:51 pm »
No more Alasdair Roberts on the 18th of august? Just noticed this last night. His new album has become one of my favs of the year and I was really looking forward to that show. The previous album was nearly perfect, too.
 I'll probably still go anyway because that lineup still looks good.
احمد

snailhook

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 10:45:32 pm »
yeah, alasdair decided to cancel his tour because he wasn't making enough on the show to cover costs without the jansch guarantees.  it'll be george kinney of the golden dawn (likely backed by kohoutek on a few songs), kuschty rye ergot, and pablonious bill.  i might add one more act so that we hit the cherished 1am mark.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:33:39 am by snailhook »

azaghal1981

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 11:04:35 pm »
Jack Rose would fit nicely in there if he's free.

I saw Pablonious Bill once at 611. Very enjoyable.
احمد

bwu

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 12:39:00 am »
bottom line: if you go to a sold-out show at the velvet, don't expect it to run smoothly or on time. be fucking grateful that you even get a chance to see these bands, considering the lack of decent venues and provocative music in dc these days.

Well, on the other hand the shows at Pyramid Atlantic usually start promptly at 7 or 8 and are over within a couple hours (and are pretty decently attended). That's a much more palatable experience for a lot of people, and those shows are equally provocative.

azaghal1981

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2009, 12:47:29 am »
I've still yet to get to a show there. Sunday will undoubtedly be a good one; maybe I should do that.
احمد

vansmack

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2009, 01:55:11 am »
Snailhook = Rudeboy

The rest of you lot = pussies
27>34

Bags

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 10:49:26 am »
  it's certainly your right to choose to not frequent the velvet if its schedule doesn't meet yours

That's exactly what I've done.  Their scheduling of bands and notoriously late start times has me down to maybe 1-2 shows a year there.   If it's not an absolute must-see show - forget it.
Ditto for me.  And, alas, DC9 can do the same thing on weeknights, so I go very infrequently, which is a shame, but that's how I roll.

azaghal1981

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2009, 10:52:25 am »
But DC9/RNRH/Red and Black actually do suck.

But that's a whole nother topic for another day.
احمد

bellenseb

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 10:56:52 am »
Wait, what happened to Jansch? I saw he bailed from the Al Stewart Birchmere show. Was he scheduled to play dates with Roberts too?

yeah, alasdair decided to cancel his tour because he wasn't making enough on the show to cover costs without the jansch guarantees.  it'll be george kinney of the golden dawn (likely backed by kohoutek on a few songs), kuschty rye ergot, and pablonious bill.  i might add one more act so that we hit the cherished 1am mark.