Author Topic: All Points West Roll Call  (Read 7138 times)

StoneTheCrow

Re: All Points West Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 08:49:24 am »
Great post.  Nice camera work.  Damn shame about the rain.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 11:03:24 am »
thanks.  thanks.  yup - every set that i heard at APW was very good to excellent, but the weather still put a damper on the experience.

Spin pictorial: http://www.spin.com/gallery/best-all-points-west-festival
Spin's day 1 coverage, Spin's day 2 coverage, Spin's day 3 coverage

RS pictorial: http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/gallery/29491715/all_points_west_2009_jayz_yeah
RS's coverage of APW

both sets of write-ups are excellent, but i slightly prefered spin's.  it's funny to read all the praise for coldplay's set.

someone made a good observation: our tickets read "rain or shine" - so why did they hold the doors until after 4 pm on sunday?  festival-goers lost about half of the day's entertainment.  will we get half our ticket price back?

and in one of the articles, they identified the source of the horrible smell: liquified goose shit.  ewwwwwwww.  gross gross gross.
<sig>

betao

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 11:36:43 am »
I'd feel really bad if APW had to be put to rest after this year due to problems that were beyond the organizers' control (weather, headliner dropping out nearly last minute). Seemed like they did a good job in tackling all of the obstacles that were thrown at them.

Also, I'm not sure why, but I'd really pissed if last year's borderline piss-poor lineup was more successful than this year.

nkotb

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 11:39:20 am »
Photo number one reminds me why I fucking hate Chris Martin and Coldplay.  My co-workers computer speakers just re-affirmed that hatred.

RS pictorial: http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/gallery/29491715/all_points_west_2009_jayz_yeah

eltee

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 11:50:14 am »
Thanks for the details. Damn shame about that puddle RIGHT in front of the stage.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 11:52:05 am »
Photo number one reminds me why I fucking hate Chris Martin

because you both go out in public wearing rag-tag patchwork, but he looks better in it than you do?
<sig>

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 11:52:51 am »
Oh, vicious fashion-related smackdown! Go sweets!

nkotb

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 11:56:32 am »
I've sown tons of early 80's metal patches to my jean jacket, but no one seems to care :(

Photo number one reminds me why I fucking hate Chris Martin

because you both go out in public wearing rag-tag patchwork, but he looks better in it than you do?

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 12:47:58 pm »
I only went Sunday and got there with plenty of time to see Gaslight Anthem. Showing up around 2pm was just awful. There was no communication, most of the time we were being told the show was going to be cancelled, and it was bad just waiting in the rain. I fully expected a rainstorm and was prepared, but the waiting to find out what was going on/if it would happen was pretty painful.

Wanted to see The Gaslight Anthem and they canned their show. Some of the other stages were going through most the earlier bands and trying to figure out who was playing when - and hopping stages became cumbersome.

Saw part of Silversun Pickups which just bore me live. We were in the beer tent at that point and had a great view and was less muddy over there, but we all took off to see We Are Scientists - which was actually Akron/Family. Then WAS came on and their set was very energetic. The stage was packed. I managed to leave early enough to see most of Elbow's set which was easily the highlight of the day for me. They sounded so amazing and you could tell they play a lot of the festies. I def need to see them in a club. I was pleasantly surprised to realize I knew much more of their music than I thought I would.

Took off to see some of Mogwai with friends but getting back and forth at this point was painful. It was beyond muddy, and there was nowhere to walk without sinking in mud. The puddles were beyond disgusting and the smell makes me nauseous thinking about it.

Checked out part of Echo & The Bunnymen and can't say Im much impressed with Ian & Co. anymore. I loved their set at Radio City, but I feel theres something lacking for him and festivals. At least this time he played the festival as at WHFS he was too gone to sing a thing. It was a decent setlist with mostly greatest hits songs. The crowd was so not into them with everyone wanting Coldplay.

The Coldplay set is the same stuff they've been playing since they've toured for VLV. It was to be expected down to the balls during Yellow, and the butterflies falling during "Lovers in Japan". GPASUYF is still pretty good. I love Will's song. Overall, Coldplay is doing more of the same. Prob since Ive seen this tour a lot (more times than one needs to), it seemed pretty boring at points. And before anyone goes off on me, Im a huge Coldplay fan. Just looking to hear different stuff.

Set list as follows:
Life In Technicolor
Violet Hill
Clocks
In My Place
Yellow
Fix You
Strawberry Swing
God Put A Smile Upon Your FacePartial Techno Remix
You Gotta FightChris piano (Beastie Boys cover)
Viva La Vida 
Lost!
Green Eyesacoustic
Death Will Never ConquerAcoustic, sung by Will 
Billie JeanAcoustic (Michael Jackson cover)
Viva La VidaRemix Interlude
Politik
Lovers In Japan
Death And All His Friends
Encore:
The Scientist
Life In Technicolor ii
The EscapistOutro

Overall - I only did the one day and it was a pretty miserable experience. The music overall was ok, but from what Ive heard Friday and Saturday were much better. APW really needs to come up with a better communication system. My friends were getting their info from radio stations, twitter was a huge FAIL and half of us were relying on BrooklynVegan. Another friend got stuck at the ferry terminal drop off in NJ and they kept them locked down for 2 hours. The pictures are painful to look at - its like cattles being shoved into a tiny crate.

Cant wait to see how Lolla holds up with the rain and mud. Its got to be better than this, because for the price tag that is on APW, I wont be going back.
HeyLa

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 01:59:19 pm »
Also, I'm not sure why, but I'd really pissed if last year's borderline piss-poor lineup was more successful than this year.

how do you define success - # tickets sold?  by that measure, i suspect that last years was a tad more successful: with a more consistent line-up this year, attendance was more consistent but probably over-all lower (vs. last year's 2 days of OMFGRADIOHEAD!!!11 and no one on sunday).

Wanted to see The Gaslight Anthem and they canned their show.

FYI, if you bring your sunday APW ticket to the G.A.'s show at T5 (in november?), you'll get a free drink.  nice move.

Overall, Coldplay is doing more of the same.

gotta disagree a little.  obviously their set was heavy on viva la vida, but the show was part of the VLV tour so to be expected.  compared to the other VLV show i saw in philly, there were a bunch of setlist changes - the most notable being the reappearance of "fix you", a whimpy song that always sounds great live IMO.  we got 2 covers that i haven't heard before and the will song.  arrangements were tweaked: "god put a smile" was re-worked with more synths and "the scientist" intro was almost unrecognizable.  i was expecting just another coldplay set and was relatively surprised.
<sig>

betao

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 10:49:45 pm »
Yeah sweetcell, that'd be how I would measure it. This years lineup seemed more like a complete and consistent festival. Last year was, yeah, just Radiohead + other bands. I love Radiohead, but I feel like more effort was put into this one and deserved better.

wml7

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 02:43:31 am »
overall I thought it was a decent festival.  they can't help with mother nature.  I know one thing everyone sure as hell destroyed that park with the rain and mud  ;D  would suck to be a grounds person.  My pleasant surprise of the fest has to be St Vincent.  Very talented and sounded great.  I thought all she did was play piano and she didn't even do that.  I didn't catch any of the comedy or any shows at the first stage.  Only things I caught was the late night sets after all the headliners finshed their sets.  I saw MGMT instead of Coldplay.  I've seen Coldplay plenty of times and MGMT only once.  I figured I give them another look and see if anything has changed.  Nope, not a thing.  I just don't understand what all the hype is about them.  They played some new songs which all the hipsters loved.   ;D  Overall the whole experience was fun just like any other festival.  Hopefully it will be back next year.

wml7

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 03:11:48 am »
oh yeah here is a vid of My Bloody Valentine with the Holocaust Section and with Tool fans being haters  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1sQmZXt4Qs&feature=channel_page
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 05:13:27 pm by wml7 »