Author Topic: this band The Rural Alberta Advantage  (Read 3406 times)

bellenseb

this band The Rural Alberta Advantage
« on: July 08, 2009, 10:13:28 pm »
So...anyone else hear this highly touted new band and think, there's a slightly watered-down version of Joel RL Phelps and the Downer Trio? Just wonderin'.
-jaded 90s indie person

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: this band The Rural Alberta Advantage
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 11:41:44 pm »
I think of them more as a hi-fi verson of East River Pipe!

snailhook

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 12:38:53 am »
major points to both of you for seminal-yet-obscure '90s indie references!

does saddle creek even matter?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 12:43:15 am »
welcome to the hipster olympics!

representing williamsburg, in a black turtleneck and sporting an ironic haircut we have <turns tv off>

(yes, i know, i know...) (bonus)
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 09:25:39 am »
Ahhh, pitchfork dropped the ball on this one. You hipsters think RAA are that new?? It's a re-release of their debut after they got signed to Saddle Creek. They are a very good live band, though...and many people attended their last RnR show...way before your highly touted online publication reviewed the album...
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 09:56:15 am »
this year's competition has barely started and joe has already taken an early lead.  the judges award him an bonus pitchfork-point for the sneer with which he delivered his last missive.  we all feel inferior just being aroud him!
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 10:03:55 am »
belleandseb still gets major points for liking Lisa Germano, though...  ;D
(_|_)

BookerT

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 10:04:23 am »
not to get into a battle of meaningless semantics, but if you went downtown and picked out 10 people who looked like "hipsters," in the williamsburg sense of the word, i can almost guarantee not one would have a clue who joel phelps or fm cornog were. people who like them are just kinda dorky people who listened to/worked at college radio in the '90s. i always thought hipsters were the people who liked mgmt or something.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 10:12:12 am »
ok, bad choice of word...and i don't mean to imply that belleandseb is a hipster ;)

there were hipsters at that last St. Vincent show at the BC, though...and they paid the ticket price so I can hear them talk while she's playing...  >:(
(_|_)

bellenseb

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 10:43:39 am »
Re: Lisa Germano she's gonna be on the new Lou Barlow record, and has a record coming out on Young God in Sept. Hooray. I wish some teen idol would cover "When I Think Of Love" or something and make her rich.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 11:03:48 am »
still kicking myself for missing that last IOTA show in 06..I'm not even gonna tell which show I went to that night :P  ....saw that setlist and she played "Small Heads" that night  :::sigh:::...last time I saw her was 06/2003.....good news I guess...she only tours every 3 years.

Re: Lisa Germano she's gonna be on the new Lou Barlow record, and has a record coming out on Young God in Sept. Hooray. I wish some teen idol would cover "When I Think Of Love" or something and make her rich.
(_|_)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 01:15:45 pm »
i always thought hipsters were the people who liked mgmt or something.
I've never heard of them. Are they some sort of Ulrich Schnauss tribute band?

Arthwys

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 02:20:09 pm »
not to get into a battle of meaningless semantics, but if you went downtown and picked out 10 people who looked like "hipsters," in the williamsburg sense of the word, i can almost guarantee not one would have a clue who joel phelps or fm cornog were. people who like them are just kinda dorky people who listened to/worked at college radio in the '90s. i always thought hipsters were the people who liked mgmt or something.

I'm pretty sure "true hipsters" refer to them as "Management", enjoyed them 15 months ago, but have forsaken them for becoming "so mainstream".
Emrys

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 11:41:08 am »
Never have heard anyone that I know call them Management. We all call them MGMT. And they used to be called the management, when I first saw them opening for Of Montreal.

Then again - not a single one of us would call ourselves hipsters. We were having a discussion about them between Flosstradamus and Matt & Kim's set. How pretentious of us ;)

Oddly enough - I just happen to be listening to them -- Im addicted to playlist.com

I'm pretty sure "true hipsters" refer to them as "Management", enjoyed them 15 months ago, but have forsaken them for becoming "so mainstream".
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 11:43:31 am by xneverwherex »
HeyLa

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 01:28:58 pm »
Then again - not a single one of us would call ourselves hipsters.

that doesn't mean that you aren't.  a lot of criminals don't consider themselves to be criminals.

:P
<sig>