Author Topic: Lips tickets?  (Read 14595 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Lips tickets?
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2009, 02:34:26 pm »
Hold on. You've got to rethink this people. Look at the beauty of this!

First off, since no one had a password, I would venture to guess that none of those scalper programs worked. They too were at a loss. This opened the playing field for a much fairer shot at tickets for the regular fan, at least while the glitch delay was in effect and you checked this forum.

Step two: With the networking on this forum, it turned out to be a 9:30 Club insiders' first grabs sale. Don't know about the Lips board but I would bet that once you sleuths got down to business, you all had a better chance at getting tickets. Word probably then got to the band's board soon afterwards.

Of course, by now, the glitch has probably been fixed and/or the word is out across active cyberspace.

Good going, Seth! Pure genius! I like this new method.  ;)

i like your thinking, but i can't agree with it...

there are bound to be more, and more obsessive, people on a lips board than here.  i'm sure they were working on this too.

second, we - and by we i mean folks buying tix online - didn't get a fair shot at tickets.  by the time the website was fixed and we could order tix it was ~10:30.  that's a half hour lead that folks on the phone and at retail outlets had over us.  by the time i was able to pull tix, first 10 center rows were gone.  not a biggie, 11th row is great, but we can't call that fair.

but yeah, having a cooperative of fans working together to crack the system is a neat idea :)
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2009, 03:21:36 pm »
i like your thinking, but i can't agree with it...

there are bound to be more, and more obsessive, people on a lips board than here.  i'm sure they were working on this too.

That's okay. You need a bit of that obsession to work this out. Also, who better to get in on this than the promoter's forum and the band's? Then you'll also have those cross pollenators which is okay. A little team work or friendly competition even.

second, we - and by we i mean folks buying tix online - didn't get a fair shot at tickets.  by the time the website was fixed and we could order tix it was ~10:30.  that's a half hour lead that folks on the phone and at retail outlets had over us.  by the time i was able to pull tix, first 10 center rows were gone.  not a biggie, 11th row is great, but we can't call that fair.

Sure, there is some stress involved but, ultimately, it's what's called eustress, as opposed to distress. Like that of one competing in a game, sport, performance or some other rewarding activity. It keeps you on your toes and can be fun. A half hour delay in getting tickets isn't the same as a half hour delay in actually getting there. Consider it part of the payment for keeping out the scalping scum. Plus, keep in mind that it takes a lot longer to sell tickets via outlets and through phone orders as opposed to online sales. Sure, those people will get a shot too but consider the lag time that ultimately works in the true fans' favor.  Again, a win for the forum sleuths and the real fans.

but yeah, having a cooperative of fans working together to crack the system is a neat idea :)

This can work; albeit, it would only have a short life span once everyone catches on.

betao

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2009, 03:45:45 pm »
Ok, so my friend missed out this morning. Does anyone have an extra GA floor ticket they could spare by any chance?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2009, 04:42:06 pm »
Sure, there is some stress involved but, ultimately, it's what's called eustress, as opposed to distress. Like that of one competing in a game, sport, performance or some other rewarding activity. It keeps you on your toes and can be fun.

unless you're the white collar scum who, after being shunned from velvet lounge the previous evening, actually has to work for those 30 minutes
(o|o)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2009, 05:12:31 pm »
Sure, there is some stress involved but, ultimately, it's what's called eustress, as opposed to distress. Like that of one competing in a game, sport, performance or some other rewarding activity. It keeps you on your toes and can be fun.

unless you're the white collar scum who, after being shunned from velvet lounge the previous evening, actually has to work for those 30 minutes

True, but I counter that with all of those who have to work in jobs that don't allow them the luxury of being a 'professional surfer'. Exactly why I detest ticket sales for in demand shows starting during the week at 10:00 AM. And no, some of us refuse to give our CC# to others or don't feel comfortable asking another to 'front' their ticket and pay later.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2009, 06:54:46 pm »
any idea on times for friday?
(o|o)

walkonby

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2009, 07:36:26 pm »
oh darn . . . i was hoping for more "white collar scum" conversation.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2009, 06:27:30 am »
saw the recent setlists of the earlier shows in the west coast...

they have not changed their setlists!  wow...good thing I didn't buy a ticket for this show...
(_|_)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2009, 10:15:14 am »
bring your ponchos tonight!
(o|o)

PigIron

« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2009, 10:27:20 am »
I haven't been to MPP for awhile...is the 9:32 Club still there?  Last time I was there for a show, it was either gone or closed.  Just wondering....rain tonight...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2009, 11:27:13 am »
need to bail on the show, selling my 11th row center tickets.  dammit :(
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2009, 03:57:47 pm »
need to bail on the show, selling my 11th row center tickets.  dammit :(

it's gonna rain anyway.  plus the fact the lips only know how to play the same ten songs at shows now.  must be taking cues from dinosaur.   ;D

PigIron

« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2009, 12:40:16 am »
Great show.  Fairly predictable set list, certainly.  But at least rain held off.

Chulahoma

« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2009, 12:54:16 am »
amazing show.  eits killed it as usual!

nkotb

« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2009, 11:00:29 am »
I went in tonight not super excited...rainy, didn't really like At War with the Mystics, etc.  Super glad I stuck through it.  I don't see how anyone can see a Flaming Lips show and not walk out with a huge smile on their face.

I hadn't seen them since Coachella where Wayne first (I think) walked out in the giant bubble, so the setlist and stage set-up was brand new to me.   Glad to see they finally got the ball worked out...instead of the 40 minutes it took to set up at Coachella, it was a pretty seamless intro.

I've got to admit, even the Mystics songs sounded pretty good (except Veil of Stars...so boring).  The biggest surprise was how killer the new stuff sounded.  I had kind of marked the Lips as a band that I just didn't care for moving forward, but the new songs were fantastic...dark and noisy, like they should be.  Hopefully it's not watered down on the album.

Got there just in time for EITS as well, who were great.  I've never liked them as much as other post-rock type bands, but live they definitely bring it.  Good time.  Now I'll just wait another 5 years to see them :)