Author Topic: Steve Albini on file sharing  (Read 11894 times)

hutch

Re: Steve Albini on file sharing
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 12:27:40 am »
I agree about this comment (Ben C) about hard drives full of music one has never heard.. I've amassed certainly over a terrabyte of MP3s.. probably 2 or 3... I couldn't care less..

I've stopped amassing mp3s
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 12:44:19 am by hutch »

azaghal1981

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 01:05:54 am »
Yeah, I definitely got a "holy shit that sounds like me and he's so right" feeling upon reading it. I'm pretty sure I've heard 99% of what I've downloaded at least once but in many cases, that's all. And I very rarely delete something. It has to be horrible in order for me to do so. He does a much better and more convincing job at getting his point across than the guy who wrote the TMT piece (who used the all too familiar and rarely successful guilt trip approach).
احمد

nkotb

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 01:03:38 pm »
Doesn't anyone find Albini's stance a bit suspect considering he gets paid up front for his services as a producer.

It's not like we're talking about some guy who's only input to this equation is taking money from bands to record them.  This guy started off where most of these bands did...getting the word out by showing up and playing shows.

Just playing devil's advocate, Julian, but doesn't this paragraph sorta speak to exactly what Albini is saying?

The Myth of DIY
Toward a Common Ethic on Piracy

The most successful ones were doing okay, but toured constantly, still lived in your standard crappy Brooklyn apartment, and had little-to-no savings. And those ?breaking through? were just trying to eat, getting virtually no money from their records and lucky to break even on touring.

I certainly don't know exactly where I fall on this issue.  I still amass MP3s at a large rate, with probably around 95% being legal downloads (and the rest being things that are either out of print or one off tracks), but that entire article seemed to be focused on band's that are trying to break.  These guys probably have no shot at commercial radio play (at least not yet), so what are their options other than getting on the road and getting their name out?  And if they're strong enough of a band to hook a handful of people in a room, and those people either buy a record at the show or some other merch, than those bands are getting 100% of the money right there, where they wouldn't have gotten any  cash by sitting around wishing someone would pick up their record in a store.

Like I said, just playing devil's advocate a bit, but it seems really hollow to say that these bands are losing money from downloads when no one knows them to even be interesting in buying an album.

walkonby

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 02:52:32 pm »
oh by the way . . . after eating at mcdonalds the other day, my tummy felt like it full of lead and i got a sick like sensation the rest of the evening.  is that stuff food anymore, or am i just old now and my body can't handle it?

NilThree

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 07:02:44 pm »
Trent Reznor's thoughts on this are worth reading.
http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?30,767183,767183#msg-767183

azaghal1981

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 12:15:16 am »
Trent used to have an Oink account. I wonder if he's gotten on one of the replacement sites.

احمد

El Jefe Design

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 10:14:12 am »
I am not a musician but do have certain talents that relate. About a year ago I had a friend in Boston tell me that a larger size, hipster clothing store were using my posters as a backdrop and wallpaper in their displays and around the store. They never asked permission to use my design work nor did they get the bands permission to use their name which are two forms of copyright violation. When I called the store (after getting proof from a good natured Uncle who lives down the street from them) the manager said how they got it off the internet (because a 600 x 800 jpg blown up to poster size looks real swanky) and I should be grateful as it was great promotion for me.

The idea that someone could take my work that is hand done and screen printed and do a crappy print it out for their business bothered me. The idea that they thought it was okay disturbed me as well. I understand as an designer people sometime take my work without paying (I have a lot of people tell me how they rip my posters down when they see them so they can frame them at home) but to be so cavalier about it shocked me. I did not get an extra rush of sales from the Boston area, that poster did not sell any more (it was already sold out), and my work looked like garbage because it was pixilated.

I do posters on a tight budget often just recouping costs and sometimes being able to make a small profit to help defray the cost of the next project - much like most indie bands. If everyone just decided to hit PRINT and no longer purchase my posters then I would stop doing them (to the joy of my wife I suppose). Much like some of the bands I have met, they get dropped from labels or have to tour all the time to make a living because people see the music as free and open to taking. Just my two cents.

brennser

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 11:08:37 am »
Andy Falkous of Future of the Left on filesharing

It's difficult to express exactly what I felt when I found out, last
wednesday, that the album had made it's way onto the internet.  22nd
april - approximately eight and a half weeks before release and only
three since the fucking thing was mastered and whilst members of the
band don't have shiny little embossed copies there is a promotional cd
of the record on sale at ebay for twenty five quid.

I drank a bottle of Jamesons and began to lecture the cat on copyright
control. To her credit, she simply fell asleep as Law and Order went
about its business in the background.

Myself, Kelson and a couple of the guys at Beggars spent 72 hours or
so pissing around, sending angry emails to proud bloggers (and oh, the
fucking pride of the feckless thief) and, amongst others, a Russian
website that was already charging people for the songs. Motherfuckers.
I guess that since the bottom has fallen out of the arms trade,  any
collection of notes, however obscure, is a legitimate income source.

So, anyway, the fucking thing has leaked despite our desperate
delaying tactics and you may have listened to it / be dowloading it
this second / have taken the position that you'd rather wait for the
actual release - regardless, it feels that getting annoyed about
downloading in this valueless modern age is like taking issue with
water for being wet or night for gradually turning into day because
ultimately the entitlement that most people feel for free music
completely overshadows any moral or legal issues and conflicts that
may arise in the hearts and minds of better people, people who
understand that actions, on both an individual and group level, have
consequences far beyond that moment of instant gratification.

There's so much to say with so little effect on this issue, so many
well-intentioned but wasted words devoted to it ... but anyway,
thankyou for downloading in barely a minute something that we poured a
year of our lives into, attempting (successfully, I believe) with a
great and furious pride to better our previous low-selling (and leaked
three months early) album, a record which flew under the radar for
many reasons but mostly because most of the goodwill poured on it
happened and had dwindled several months before it was available to
buy.

Yes, buy. Such a dirty fucking word. Currency exchanged for goods and
services. Food, Clothing, Butt-plugs and fucking H2O. How far, I
wonder does this entitlement for free music go? My guitars, should
they be free? Petrol to get us to shows? Perhaps I should come to an
arrangement with my landlord, through the musician-rent-waiver
programme.

Perhaps he should pay me, for his ninth-division indie-cred through association.

You will have to excuse me, people of the internet. It turns out that
I just wanted a big party with balloons and streamers to celebrate
everything we put into this thing, released into the physical world
with a fanfare and fuss befitting its status. I'm not angry (in fact I
don't blame you, unless you leaked it, in which case I WILL KILL YOU),
just a little worried that the record we made will get lost amongst
the debris and leave us playing shows like we just weathered at the
laughably bad Camden Crawl this last weekend - fifteen people and a
world of disillusion.*

Anyway - please be careful, or we'll get the world we all deserve.
Hobby bands who can tour once every few years if they're lucky, and
the superstars, freed from such inconvenient baggage as integrity and
conscience, running the corporate sponsored marathon of £80-a-ticket
arena tours and television adverts til their  loveless hearts explode
in an orgy of oppressive branding and self-regard. Some of us, in all
honestly, just want to make the music we love and play it around the
world without living in poverty.

We'll be announcing some deal involving pre-orders of the cd/lp with
an immediate download in the next few days.

Do consult your surroundings before proceeding.

falco

*Next time somebody tells me that i can't drink my rider in the
building I'm playing in I'm going to fuck them with their own shoes.

NilThree

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 12:14:48 pm »
The old model of promoting an album for six weeks between when mastering is finished and when the album is actually released has GOT TO GO. CDs can wait but if you want to sell a record, don't give it the chance to leak! Put it on iTunes as soon as it's finished!

azaghal1981

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 12:19:50 pm »
Yeah, the best way to combat leaks is to do away with the idea of promotional copies of an album as a whole.

Either go the Itunes route or offer free and/or cheap downloads of it on your site ass soon as it's mastered.

احمد

walkonby

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 04:11:25 pm »
hey, el jefe . . . i'm curious, is there anything you can do legally about your situation?  or is it because the fact "they got it off the internet" make it somehow seem ok in the eyes of the law?  i would do something just based on the "rude" response you got.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 04:33:00 pm »
could he do something?  sure, call in the lawyers.

will it be worth the money, effort, time, aggravation?  probably not.
<sig>

El Jefe Design

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 05:11:08 pm »
My lawyer said he could pursue it and win but it would take time and effort. Was not worth it and it would be hard to prove damages outside of what they would have had to pay for the posters (couple hundred plus damages). I think the manager got in trouble but the place store has a long history ripping off artists and getting away with it. Oh well. I take it as a compliment in a way.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2009, 09:14:38 am »
I'm sorry but there has to be a better electronic distribution model than iTunes.... Whats the point of spending money on recording an album, having it mastered only to have it turned into lousy sounding compressed files.   Haven't listened to a lot of FLAC encoded material but the difference  in sound quality over even LAME VBR encoded MP3s is very noticeable.  Guess people have gotten use to listening to crappily encoded songs on their shitty earbuds they don't care anymore...
T.Rex

distance

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2009, 09:18:08 am »
I'm sorry but there has to be a better electronic distribution model than iTunes.... Whats the point of spending money on recording an album, having it mastered only to have it turned into lousy sounding compressed files.   Haven't listened to a lot of FLAC encoded material but the difference  in sound quality over even LAME VBR encoded MP3s is very noticeable.  Guess people have gotten use to listening to crappily encoded songs on their shitty earbuds they don't care anymore...

you might be amazed how many people violently defend the 'good enough' nature of mp3s and act like the only things that can hear the frequency differences between flac and mp3 are woodland creatures.

"enjoy your half a gig albums", etc.  people are really fucking stupid.