Author Topic: The Comprehensive Music collection -- the A's: FINAL VERSION  (Read 3263 times)

redsock

Well, it took long enough, and deserved a new thread. Life sort of got in the way and slowed me down, but for those of you new to this, the deal is simple. I wanted to create an as-complete-as-humanly-possible music collection for my as yet unborn kids. Below is a link to the A's.

I compiled the list on the following criteria (books unless noted):
-The All Music Guide to Rock
-The All Music Guide to Electronica
-The Great Indie Discography
-1001 Albums to Hear Before You Die
-Mojo 1000
-Amazon's "A to D: 1,000 Recordings To Hear Before You Die" (web)
-Various Pitchfork/WOXY all time lists (web)
-Boardie recommendations (web)
-The Pitchfork 500
-www.song-database.com (web)

I carefully thought through artists and whether or not they truly were noteworthy, and what music of theirs required inclusion, whether it be individual albums, greatest hits comps, a couple of songs or a complete discography. All genres of music are represented to the best of my ability. A number of bands may be less noteworthy, but are instead personal favorites of mine, hence the inclusion of so much of their material.

Anyway, figured some of you would be interested in this, and no doubt have lots of criticizing as well. Of course you can always include more, but you have to have a life too. For some reason iTunes had an odd issue in counting the number of songs, and there is the occasional missing track, so the exact number of songs might not add up

http://www.bigyawn.net/blogdb/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/as-package.pdf

Note: I have included a list of artists who simply had individual songs of note, and not any albums. This list follows the Album list. (Arrested Development should be removed from the singles list)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!

walkonby

Re: The Comprehensive Music collection -- the A's: FINAL VERSION
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 10:28:23 pm »

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 10:32:24 pm »
I'll admit, I'm bored. I just finished watching Philadelphia on Bravo and Law and Order: SVU is kinda boring.

redsock

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 10:32:56 pm »
deserved a new thread
NOPE!

you're on a roll tonight.  slow night at walmart?

Or, apparently, just another fast night in the sack.

walkonby

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 10:43:25 pm »
I'll admit, I'm bored. I just finished watching Philadelphia on Bravo and Law and Order: SVU is kinda boring.

philadelphia makes me cry at the ending.  i can't watch it anymore.  now me sad. 

sorry to ruin your thread "music at a" person.  don't hate me.

redsock

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 03:09:27 pm »

philadelphia makes me cry at the ending.  i can't watch it anymore.  now me sad. 

sorry to ruin your thread "music at a" person.  don't hate me.

Hardly ruined. Though i do not get your "music at a" quote...

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 03:46:52 pm »
Dude you need to seriously trim the fat off this thing.  It reads like someone took the entire "A" section from Tower Records and typed it up.

nkotb

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 04:02:03 pm »
Yeah, what was the weeding out process (if there was one)?  This just seems to be everything.

Dude you need to seriously trim the fat off this thing.  It reads like someone took the entire "A" section from Tower Records and typed it up.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 04:10:02 pm »
Maybe he literally weeded out so hard that he couldn't help himself, hence the lack of weeding out.

Will Black Flag's "The Process of Weeding Out" be included in the B's?

Yeah, what was the weeding out process (if there was one)?  This just seems to be everything.

ggw

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 05:23:25 pm »
Ace of Base and Air Supply make the list but Arlo and Augustus Pablo don't?!?

redsock

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 05:56:19 pm »
Ace of Base and Air Supply make the list but Arlo and Augustus Pablo don't?!?

Hmmm, I guess you could include Stab the Unstoppable on here, but honestly, Arlo flew way under the radar. And Augustus Pablo will be under "P" even though it is a stage name, a la Alice Cooper. Sadly, I can see i contradict myself already on that list though.

As for weeding out, I recognize there is a lot on here, but I did say Comprehensive. There are many, many more I could include.

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 10:00:32 pm »
dope list so far.

walkonby

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 10:55:24 pm »
no

??

edbert

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 09:30:33 am »
>>>I wanted to create an as-complete-as-humanly-possible music collection for my as yet unborn kids.

I don't see the point in it... because they're gonna have their own tastes one way or another, and it's more exciting for them to discover stuff their parents don't know about. When I was just getting into music as a kid, all it took was a little $5 "transistor" (the new thing) radio. Granted, that was 1970 and there was better stuff on the air. But if I had 10 year old kids today I'd get them little portable XM radios and they could find whatever they liked and delude themselves into thinking they're more hip than dad