Author Topic: MBV - roll call for Richmond show, Thurs. 7/30  (Read 57435 times)

miss pretentious

• ohai.
Re: MBV - roll call for Richmond show, Thurs. 7/30
« Reply #165 on: July 31, 2009, 07:47:06 am »
holy. shit. awesome as before. but a bit different ith the smaller venue. it was really nice and not super crowded and wow. wow. wow. also the lily's guy was awful. and just a complete mismatched opening act.

i managed to escape w/ shields' setlist so here it is for anyone wondering.
i swear it didn't seem like they played all that though....

i only said
when you sleep
you never should
when you wake
cigarette
come in alone
only shallow
thorn
nothing much to lose
to here knows when
slow
soon
feed me with your kiss
you made me realise
nothx

RustyOrgan

« Reply #166 on: July 31, 2009, 09:44:32 am »
Great show!!

Got Haggis?

« Reply #167 on: July 31, 2009, 09:49:37 am »
yeah, the show was incredible - i was laughing the entire time through the holocaust section, it was simply amazing.  I stayed overnight in Richmond - woke up at 6am and drove to Annapolis for work...tempted to go to all points west now just to see them again, even though it won't be anywhere near as cool as the national (that was my first time there....great venue, would make the trek down there again for the right band)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #168 on: July 31, 2009, 11:26:20 am »
Miss P -- I don't keep track of setlists during shows, but I have a weird uncontrollable habit of counting songs bands play, and I had 14 at shows' end, so I guess they did play everything on that setlist.

And opener aside, this was one of the best shows I've ever seen. The sound was overwhelming yet very clear where I was standing. I think the claims of The National having a bad sound system/acoustics can be put to rest. Wow.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2009, 11:36:47 am »
The sound was overwhelming yet very clear where I was standing. I think the claims of The National having a bad sound system/acoustics can be put to rest.

did MBV use the national's PA system, or their own?  i thought they were touring with their own - thus, we might not be able to draw any conclusions abut the national's PA...
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2009, 12:09:13 pm »
Yeah, that was just as incredible as the Roseland show I caught. And they did indeed play all that. Roseland had Sueisfine but other than that, I'm pretty sure it was the same setlist. That dude from the Lilys must be good friends with them; only way I could've seen him getting that gig.
احمد

betao

« Reply #171 on: July 31, 2009, 12:10:41 pm »
The sound was overwhelming yet very clear where I was standing. I think the claims of The National having a bad sound system/acoustics can be put to rest.

did MBV use the national's PA system, or their own?  i thought they were touring with their own - thus, we might not be able to draw any conclusions abut the national's PA...

MBV used their own equipment.

redsock

« Reply #172 on: July 31, 2009, 12:21:38 pm »
I'm sure I'll get beat up for this, but I actually thought the sound was pretty so-so, or worse. Having never seen MBV live, I was basically hoping for something better than a wall of sound. The bass was way too powerful in the mix, when she was complaining about it on stage, i was complaining about it on the floor. I really didn't expect to hear any vocals, but I found it hilarious that they still kept trying to sing. And the "holocaust" section during Realize to me was simply self-indulgent and unnecessary.

While not a life-long MBV fan, I have always liked Loveless. And the experience of seeing them was awesome, and the show was good, but I was not blown away at all. Sorry to be the debbie downer in the room...

secretsquirrel

« Reply #173 on: July 31, 2009, 12:24:58 pm »
I had never seen them before, and was a little surprised at the volume.. I guess when I thought everyone said MBV was loud, that it meant there would be huge blaring guitars in the mix. Instead it was REALLY loud bass and such, and that made it really overwhelming and stuff (which was awesome) but it also made songs like Only Shallow kind of disappointing. Maybe it was where I was standing? (in the middle, about half way between the sound board and stage) It just would've been nice if the bass and drums didn't totally engulf the vocals and guitars.

Great show overall though. I did not expect to like the Holocaust, but I really enjoyed it. You could pan around and see so many people smiling... excellent.

azaghal1981

« Reply #174 on: July 31, 2009, 12:31:41 pm »
Only Shallow is one song I don't think they have/will ever pin down live.
And the vocals sounded as audible to me as they do on the albums in most songs. I couldn't hear any in I Only Said but that was it.
احمد

wml7

« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2009, 12:32:32 pm »
Got the first song up.  In Jersey now looks like it's going to rain a shit storm for APW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZSk378Kyrs&feature=channel_page

walkonby

« Reply #176 on: July 31, 2009, 01:11:08 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2009, 01:32:16 pm »

MBV used their own equipment.

therefore claims of The National having a bad sound system cannot be put to rest - sorry jules.
<sig>

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #178 on: July 31, 2009, 05:37:44 pm »
Well to be fair, claims of venues having bad sound systems can never ever be put to rest no matter what. Some people seem to think it's some sort of gloriously hipster-iffic contrarian position to tell everyone how every venue they've ever stepped in have bad sound.

Captain Jack

« Reply #179 on: July 31, 2009, 05:55:34 pm »
There was an awesome old British dude, mostly bald flanked by white wings of freak hair that was chilling by the soundbooth who must have been the MBV soundguy.

I did the first song without earplugs and then spent the rest of the set sort of in and out of the earplugs. Taking them out I was able to hear way more of the intense, constantly squeeling guitar feedback from Belinda's amps that was non-existent with earplugs in, but the bass and a couple of the drums were so heavy in the mix it crushed my drone feedback boner.