Author Topic: The Sugarplastic  (Read 1102 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
The Sugarplastic
« on: April 02, 2005, 09:18:00 pm »
Thursday and Friday proved to be the battle of battles I'd been patiently waiting to see live. Phoenix since 2000 vs The Sugarplastic since 1996.  The winner being The Sugarplastic although Phoenix certainly gave them a run for the money.

After finally getting the chance to see The Sugarplastic alive again all I can say is WOW.  For a band that reportly dosen't like playing live, they have rarely played outside of LA since 97 when they were on Geffen.  The were just killer.  Edgy, artry, with enough bounce to get the heads bobbing.  I enjoy the way the bass often carries the melody line well the guitars work with the drums to keep the rythym going.   By the end of the show, my chief thought was this would be the one show that I wish people could get a chance to hear again via the Internet, etc.  I guess that trying to  see the Sugarplastic will need to become a more frequent occurence.  Shame they all have day jobs and no tour support.  Their record is selling briskly at Amobea.  Clever Factiod: The show was The Derby, the club were Swingers was filmed.  Given the right exposure, fans of upcoming bands like The Bloc Party could really dig this band.  

Today I went to Aron's parking lot sale which has got to be the largest dollar bin ever.  Some decent finds will have to go back tomorrow to scan what I missed today.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: The Sugarplastic
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 09:19:00 pm »
I would like to state for the record that Indie 103 does in deed rock. I heard these five artists in this order.

Old New Order
 New Brendan Benson
 The Clash
 Caesars
 The Charlantas

This is way the radio should be programmed.  Not once did I feel compelled to change the station.  It's a shame DC doesn't have a radio station like Indie 103, as I would fully support it.
T.Rex

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 10:07:00 pm »
I'm happy to hear it was such a great show! It's the best to travel far for a thrilling show. Especially after waiting so long to see them.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 08:12:00 am »
Back from a great stay at  Tallboy Records HQ in LA, fine purveyors of quality pop.  Besides getting to see the Sugarplastic, whose show is still buzzin around in my head, and searching the sale bins of Arons and Amoeba records, I got to catch some other mighty fine guitar pop acts.

Sharing the bill with the Sugarplastic were OC indie rockers  Slings and  The World Record.  Enjoyed both sets but preferred The World Record's lowkey Posies styled pop.

Monday it was off to see Tallboy recording artist The Eugene Edwards Band who was most impressive.  A very nice blend of Elvis Costello inspired songs with touches of Rockpile twang and Squeeze pop polish.  Eugene's record got a four star rating in Uncut magazine.  

John Hoskinson a member of Eugene's band and also a recieptent of a four star Uncut review, also has a great little CD out.  Highly recommended for fans of Crowded House, etc.  As noteworthy because it's been released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 08:19:00 am »
Not sure if this was mentioned here or not, but Nate of Arlo is in a new band called  Yes Dear
T.Rex