Author Topic: Oneida/Apes/Awesome Color  (Read 991 times)

nkotb

Oneida/Apes/Awesome Color
« on: August 02, 2006, 12:12:00 pm »
Anyone make it to this show?

Awesome Color were great, and pretty nice guys (and gal) to boot.  They were super psyched to be playing in DC with Oneida, although their constant thanking got a little overwhelming after a bit.  Still the brought the rock HARD, especially that second to last song.  I picked up their disc, but havne't had a chance to listen yet.

The Apes were fairly disappointing.  I really wasn't feeling the new singer at all.  With their original singer, they seemed like a unit, with each person pulling their own weight.  The new guy was just too over-powering, to the point that it was distracting.  

Maybe it was just me being used to the old sound, but his live pressence just didn't seem to do the band (who still smoked) any justice.  However, I'm listening to their new EP (the first with the new guy), and it's definitely much better than the live show.  I guess it can be chalked up to bad sound; he seemed pretty insistent in having his mic turned up to 11.  I'll give him another chance before writing him off.  Still, I miss Count 101.

Oneida were in great form.  I had to do a double take right off the bat; I can't believe they opened with Each One Teach One.  The new songs sounded great, and any worry about their slight change in aesthetic can rest assured that both old and new songs fit together perfectly.  Too bad it cleared out after the Apes; everyone missed a great closing set.

Snailhook, I think I stood behind you during Awesome Colors set; I didn't put two and two together until I saw you carrying beers and whatnot, but by that point, I didn't want to bother you.  I was the guy in the white Stella tshirt.  Oh well, thanks for putting on a great show.  I'm looking forward to the Advantage!

thingsfallapart

Re: Oneida/Apes/Awesome Color
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 02:40:00 pm »
I was there but I had to leave before Oneida due to my ears exploding and metro closing.  I thought Awesome Color were OK, not great but not bad.  They didn't really go anywhere I found tremendously exciting, I sort of felt they were using incredible volume to cover up the fact that they weren't really doing much interesting.  I liked The Apes a lot.  Great energy.  The guitarist and drummer were pretty rocking.