Author Topic: So I've been out of the musical loop...  (Read 13220 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: So I've been out of the musical loop...
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2009, 08:38:27 am »
i once saw a local band setup up their mic's so they were about chest level and then proceeded to perform their set in the johnny/dee dee ramone stance, with their legs spread apart.
T.Rex

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2009, 11:04:41 am »
It's all about crabcore now.

Now that would be a natural Baltimore show if I've ever seen one.

walkonby

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2009, 05:10:18 pm »
discovery - those guys from ra ra riot and vampire weekend are super crazy . . . and this new stuff is giving hot chip a run for the money.  shake your booty, shake your booty.

and is it just me, or is st.vincent the new and improved breeders?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 05:12:15 pm by walkonby »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2009, 05:19:32 pm »
discovery - those guys from ra ra riot and vampire weekend are super crazy . . . and this new stuff is giving hot chip a run for the money.  shake your booty, shake your booty.

Really?  That Discovery record is strictly Postal Service Lite and embarrassingly bad attempt at R&B
T.Rex

walkonby

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2009, 05:41:51 pm »

Really?  That Discovery record is strictly Postal Service Lite and embarrassingly bad attempt at R&B

you say tomato . . .

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2009, 05:51:07 pm »

you say tomato . . .

I say Hot Chip have absolutely nothing to worry about, seeing they have more than one dimension to them and this reeks of strictly being a vanity project.
T.Rex

walkonby

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2009, 07:13:44 pm »
so i just heard the new flaming lips song - silver trembling hands.

taking back everything bad i've said about the band recently.

it rules.  they rule.  the whole world now rules.  it's like they've gone back to the soft bulletin motive for introspective futurefaceorama of perceptive pleasure.  just no more blood in the face, hulk hands, and shooting confetti guns.

art brut is good, too.

azaghal1981

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2009, 03:24:20 am »
I'm going to have to agree with Kosmo re: Discovery from what I heard of that album.

If the rest of this Andrew W.K. solo piano album 55 Cadillac is as good as the first three tracks, it'll make my top 5 for sure.
I can't believe that the guy who wrote "Party Hard" is capable of work this phenomenal.

احمد

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2009, 09:27:17 am »
I listen to mainly hip hop so here's a few if you're interested:

Tanya Morgan - "Brooklynati"
Slaughterhouse - "S/T"
Mos Def - "The Estatic"

There's more stuff but I'll have to dig around and see what else.....

ggw

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2009, 12:49:38 pm »
If the rest of this Andrew W.K. solo piano album 55 Cadillac is as good as the first three tracks, it'll make my top 5 for sure.
I can't believe that the guy who wrote "Party Hard" is capable of work this phenomenal.

I'm assuming you misspoke and that you really meant to say "I can't believe this guy wrote something else as phenomenal as Party Hard."

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2009, 01:21:44 pm »
I listen to mainly hip hop so.....
LOL

Hiphop is poor people music.

nkotb

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2009, 01:27:55 pm »
Uh, Party Hard should've clued you in.  Nothing makes me pump my fist harder...and it's aces for getting over the hump during my long weekend runs. 

I actually hadn't heard of this album, or this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Japan_Covers.  I was actually wondering what happened to him...he used to tour the DC/Baltimore area once every 6 months or so.

I'm going to have to agree with Kosmo re: Discovery from what I heard of that album.

walkonby

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2009, 03:01:08 pm »
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 03:03:41 pm by walkonby »

azaghal1981

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2009, 03:02:07 pm »
He was slated to play Sonic Circuits but it doesn't look like he is anymore.

Uh, Party Hard should've clued you in.  Nothing makes me pump my fist harder...and it's aces for getting over the hump during my long weekend runs. 

I actually hadn't heard of this album, or this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Japan_Covers.  I was actually wondering what happened to him...he used to tour the DC/Baltimore area once every 6 months or so.

احمد

walkonby

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2009, 03:17:56 pm »

I'm assuming you misspoke and that you really meant to say "I can't believe this guy wrote something else as phenomenal as Party Hard."

from an old issue of esquire magazine:

Andrew W.K.
Motivational speaker, personal-advice columnist for Japanese monthly Rockn' On, writer, and performer of heavy-metal anthem "Party Til You Puke."

"Everything exists in your head, to some degree, at least in terms of your experiences, and how you perceive them and how you act upon them defines your reality. You make your life happen, and being present, being completely invested in the present moment, is the closest you can come to understanding what this is all about."