Author Topic: In honor of Dino Jr.'s return to the club,  (Read 25115 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: In honor of Dino Jr.'s return to the club,
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2009, 11:34:14 am »
The worst excesses of the grunge movement were far better than the worst excesses of the hair metal that proceeded it and the nu-metal/rap-rock of the early 2000's. There were also a lot of really great grunge records.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2009, 12:35:42 pm »
If you'd like to list a charity, I'll throw $100 its way. If not, my default is always National Hopeline Network.

Works for me....
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2009, 12:52:26 pm »
Well of course its misleading to refer to what came before grunge as "hair metal"! Come on!

Thats not serious!

There was plenty of music before Nirvana broke that was not "hair metal" and unfortunately a lot of this music was thrown out with the Slaughters of the world....

Also if we call what came before "hair metal" why not call grunge "flannel heroin sludge": they are equally accurate in describing the MUSIC... actually "hair metal" is far less accurate..

There are some great grunge records for sure but overall its so boring and more importantly NOT FUN!

I think modern music is still paying for this "grunge revolution"...

The end of the guitar solo, the end of showmanship, the end of fun in rock and roll.. the end of lyrics about sex drugs and rock and roll basically is what grunge almost accomplished..I say almost because its all going to come back.. Look at the Creed show at Nissan. .They can't give the tickets away!

When you look back at what rock and roll is all about- Chuck Berry and his heirs (Stones, Flamin Groovies, ACDC)- and you compare it to grunge and nu-metal (puke) its hard not to develop an intense dislike for these..

Of course all the above probably should be tempered a few notches... There were good grunge bands. .there were grunge bands that did incorporate solos and even the ocassional smile.. but as a music movement I think grunge left us with awfully little....Not to mention that, yes, maybe MTV's decision to play "Smells Like Teen Spirit" 24-7 and never again play any videos by the very same bands they had played in the previous 5 years ad infinitum did kill "hair metal" but so what? To assume it would not or could not have been killed off by something more fun anyways seems silly to me. Lets remember that Nirvana was one of many indie bands being signed to the majors...There was plenty of great music being recorded in 89-91 that I think could have made things far more interesting than Nirvana and grunge...I think if Kurt was around today he would have been the first to admit it... heck he probably would have admitted it even before he took his life.

I mean lets call it what it is: the death of "hair metal" was a business and marketing decision... the same kids who were told that Motley Crue/Poison were cool were now told "hey kids, they're no longer cool go buy these other bands".. thats all it was!

Anyways its just an opinion... if other people like grunge then good for them...Personally I like having a good time and enjoying my life.. I think of rock and roll as a party...a celebration.. and grunge has nothing to do with that.. Do I like "unskinny bop"? Of course not...that song is garbage but you can't pick the worst stuff and say that everything that came before grunge was "unskinny bop"!

azaghal1981

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2009, 12:55:37 pm »
The worst excesses of the grunge movement were far better than the worst excesses of the hair metal that proceeded it and the nu-metal/rap-rock of the early 2000's. There were also a lot of really great grunge records.

This.
احمد

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2009, 01:07:09 pm »
wow some people really need to lighten up....
T.Rex

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2009, 01:11:43 pm »
Well of course its misleading to refer to what came before grunge as "hair metal"! Come on!

Thats not serious!

There was plenty of music before Nirvana broke that was not "hair metal" and unfortunately a lot of this music was thrown out with the Slaughters of the world....

Also if we call what came before "hair metal" why not call grunge "flannel heroin sludge": they are equally accurate in describing the MUSIC... actually "hair metal" is far less accurate..

There are some great grunge records for sure but overall its so boring and more importantly NOT FUN!

The end of the guitar solo, the end of showmanship, the end of fun in rock and roll.. the end of lyrics about sex drugs and rock and roll basically is what grunge almost accomplished..I say almost because its all going to come back.. Look at the Creed show at Nissan. .They can't give the tickets away!

When you look back at what rock and roll is all about- Chuck Berry and his heirs (Stones, Flamin Groovies, ACDC)- and you compare it to grunge and nu-metal (puke) its hard not to develop an intense dislike for these..

Of course all the above probably should be tempered a few notches... There were good grunge bands. .there were grunge bands that did incorporate solos and even the ocassional smile.. but as a music movement I think grunge left us with awfully little....Not to mention that, yes, maybe MTV's decision to play "Smells Like Teen Spirit" 24-7 and never again play any videos by the very same bands they had played in the previous 5 years ad infinitum did kill "hair metal" but so what? To assume it would not or could not have been killed off by something more fun anyways seems silly to me. Lets remember that Nirvana was one of many indie bands being signed to the majors...There was plenty of great music being recorded in 89-91 that I think could have made things far more interesting than Nirvana and grunge...I think if Kurt was around today he would have been the first to admit it... heck he probably would have admitted it even before he took his life.

I mean lets call it what it is: the death of "hair metal" was a business and marketing decision... the same kids who were told that Motley Crue/Poison were cool were now told "hey kids, they're no longer cool go buy these other bands".. thats all it was!

Anyways its just an opinion... if other people like grunge then good for them...Personally I like having a good time and enjoying my life.. I think of rock and roll as a party...a celebration.. and grunge has nothing to do with that.. Do I like "unskinny bop"? Of course not...that song is garbage but you can't pick the worst stuff and say that everything that came before grunge was "unskinny bop"!
Damn...

All I'll say is that Kurt Cobain never hesitated to give props to the bands he liked/admired that didn't make it big.  He brought the fucking Meat Puppets on MTV Unplugged, for Christ's sake.  Speaking of, that is a wonderful performance.

I'll also agree that there are numerous great grunge records.

Mobius

« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2009, 01:25:07 pm »
Regarding grunge (which is kind of as derogatory a term as hair metal really), and most music scenes, Warren Buffet's 3 I's of business apply . . . first you have innovators, then imitators, then idiots.   

« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2009, 01:55:27 pm »

Thats not serious!

tl; piai; dr

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2009, 02:16:21 pm »
Grunge is a stupid label.  But there were some great great bands to come from that scene...Mudhoney, The Fluid, Nirvana, the Melvins, Screaming Trees.  Of course these bands paved the way for the Nickelbacks, Creeds and 3 Doors Downs of today.  It's the way of the world kids.

And Hutch your dissertation is stupid.  I'll take real over a smile or "fun" any day of the week.  Sincerity is what's important, whatever the message being conveyed is.

If there's one thing in the world that pisses me it's a bunch of pollyannas telling me I should be having good time, cuz you know, life ain't all pony rides and puppy dogs.

To me life and the world are equally beautiful and fucked, equally triumphant and tragic.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 02:18:52 pm by chaz »

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2009, 02:48:35 pm »
Personally, other than some Nirvana, I can't think of a single Grunge band that I've ever liked. Ugh!

Also, Hair Metal existed way before Grunge so I don't see any relationship between the two at all. Eventually, some merged Grunge and Hair Metal but blending eventually happens between all genres.

Plus, it sure doesn't help that Grunge pre-empted the Shoegaze movement which, that and Psychedelic are my all time favorite genres. Thank God for resurgances!!! Just please keep all Grunge out of my ears! Hair Metal too!

Chaz, I fully agree with you regarding music with mixed ideas. Can't stand having all of my music full of flowers and candy. Bring on Spiritualized's fucked up Johnny and Lupine Howl's cold turkey puke along with older Punk's pissy angst.

Excuse me while I switch channels.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 02:51:59 pm by Jaguar »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2009, 03:02:42 pm »
I saw a couple grunge retrospectives where they had some of fading fast hair metal bands moaning on about when grunge came along their careers stalled...  and to be fair Nirvana weren't really a grunge band, sure they had the flannel and were from Washington, but they had different musically influences, i.e. Pixies, Killing Joke, etc.
T.Rex

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2009, 03:08:21 pm »
Kosmo, I want to apologize. I miss-read your earlier post.

Grunge was so powerful in the Rock world that I think it stopped everything else in it's tracks, both good and bad. Of course, it all boils down to your own personal likes and dislikes but it sure hurt my musical ears for a loooong time.

andyrichter

« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2009, 03:21:53 pm »

The end of the guitar solo, the end of showmanship, the end of fun in rock and roll..

Spin. Doctors.  Grunge was definitely fun! Just look at them smiling, soloing, and having fun on Letterman. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAlQ1cR6X9Q&feature=related
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 03:29:29 pm by andyrichter »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2009, 07:50:27 pm »
piai

Primary Immunodeficiency Association of Ireland?  postoperative intra-abdominal infection?  Perish in an Inferno? 
<sig>

« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2009, 10:14:11 pm »
poster is an idiot