Author Topic: WSC at the Black Cat  (Read 7303 times)

Bombay Chutney

Re: WSC at the Black Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 10:25:00 am »
Originally posted by Lost Soul:
  I don't have a bad attitude.  
  I want to see the train wreck that is the DC music scene.
You don't call that a bad attitude?

This is a great triple-bill.  It should be a really fun night.

Bags

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 10:28:00 am »
  I'll explain the appeal: it's like a train wreck.  I'll be there tonight, not because I like any of the bands (and to be honest, will be sure to miss one of them), but because I want to see the train wreck that is the DC music scene.
Okay, explain this.  What train wreck (that implies an explosion of some sort)?  If you just don't like the bands, I think your characterization is way off.  Look, WSC is a popular local band.  NO local band, no matter how great, be they Coldplay, U2 or WSC, is going to be loved or even liked by everyone.  Is any band?

Sheesh, I just don't get where the hate comes from...so unnecessary.

Bags

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2005, 10:31:00 am »
 ....you'll see me at the Black Cat supporting local music, whether I like the bands or not, because that's what DC really needs.

Seriously, then are you one of the people in the audience that comes to the club but treats the whole night like a social scene, even during the headline act?  If so, DC does NOT need that...

Bags

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2005, 10:34:00 am »
Originally posted by redsock:
 WSC's music isn't exactly new and original, but their live show is great.
I don't know...unlike many of the 'big buzz' bands coming out of the UK and Brooklyn, I don't automatically think of a particular band they're ripping off during each song...

And you're right, Cartel, Exit Clov and WSC would make an amazing triple bill -- work on that!!

LostSoul

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2005, 10:37:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:

....you'll see me at the Black Cat supporting local music, whether I like the bands or not, because that's what DC really needs.

Seriously, then are you one of the people in the audience that comes to the club but treats the whole night like a social scene, even during the headline act?  If so, DC does NOT need that... [/b]
Wow, you missed the point completely.  When I say I'll be at the Black Cat to SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC, it means I'll be there to support the music, not talk over top of it.

ratioci nation

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2005, 10:38:00 am »
I hate Army of Me, and the hate comes from their music, but I will be at the kids show, Spoon

Bags

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2005, 11:03:00 am »

Originally posted by Bags:

Seriously, then are you one of the people in the audience that comes to the club but treats the whole night like a social scene, even during the headline act?  If so, DC does NOT need that... [/b]
Wow, you missed the point completely.  When I say I'll be at the Black Cat to SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC, it means I'll be there to support the music, not talk over top of it. [/b]
Sorry, it was a question, honestly.  I believe the loud chatterers think they're supporting local music as well, since they paid their $10 to get in...I didn't mean to harsh on a music fan.  [Though I'm not sure I get why you go to a show with bands you don't like...]

Bartelby

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2005, 11:06:00 am »
Originally posted by general grievous:
  I hate Army of Me, and the hate comes from their music, but I will be at the kids show, Spoon
...but they speak so highly of you.  :D

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2005, 02:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  *edit*
 WSC's music isn't exactly new and original, but their live show is great. I won't tout the plethora of reasons to see the Clov (due to my obvious bias) but along with Cartel they are one of the best bands to come out of DC in the past couple of years. We need bands trying different things, bands that don't fit in the DC good-old boys netowrk. Tonite is a good example of some bands who have done that and are beginning to see some success.
ill take phaser as one of the best bands as coming from DC recently (and surely they dont sound like everyone else). not a fan at all of WSC (really dont get the hype).

i saw bicycle thieves perform once, fell in love with them. now if only i could find them around here a bit more. and those guys were some of the nicest people i met.
HeyLa

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2005, 03:19:00 pm »
my top four favorite local bands as of late are these three, and the soft complex.  of course everybody is going to have a difference in opinion, but for ME, and some others, this is a great triple bill.  army of me and wsc have played together before, so i think it's great that exit clov is getting a shot too--they are really great.

i unfortunately won't be around tonight, because the guy i was gonna go with has another obligation...  :(  

i was wondering, though.  why do a lot of you guys hate army of me so much?  i mean, they have progressed A LOT in the last year...

Bags

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2005, 03:26:00 pm »
The whole Army of Me phenom fascinates me.  People HATE them or love them.  I'm in the middle, which puts me in a very lonely place.  Just fascinating...

you be betty

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2005, 04:48:00 pm »
yeah, i know, right?
 a lot of people just don't like vince's voice (i love it) but i mean, there has been some slander here.  there has got to be something else they don't like...

ratioci nation

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2005, 05:05:00 pm »
I also dont like that they get so many prime opening slots at the black cat, and the music, it is mostly the music that I hate, the first part just means i am forced to accidentally hear the music if I show up too early

I hate Army of Me's music and that there fans leave before the headliner even comes on stage

Bartelby

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2005, 05:11:00 pm »
SOME of their fans might leave - others don't.

you be betty

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2005, 05:45:00 pm »
yeah, i was about to say.
 i actually found out about army of me when i went to see ok go almost two years ago, and they were an opener.
 AOM is a band that is very dear to me, and every time i've seen them they have opened for somebody else that i have really loved.  i haven't been to a single one of their shows just to see them.