Author Topic: a call to arms: "Brace yourself: Beer prices are going up"  (Read 26876 times)

imbecile

Re: a call to arms: "Brace yourself: Beer prices are going up"
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2009, 08:21:28 am »
Just to clear things up.. I think Seth's response on beer prices was that his hand was forced on the prices, because his kids wanted silly things like clothes.. or something to that affect.

Nevertheless, like most people here I stopped drinking at the club a long while ago, so if they raised prices in response to the general price of beer being raised, I wouldn't notice.  A sixer of Bells or whatever I consume before the show will relatively remain unchanged from it's current 8.49 or whatever it is.

The main argument I hear from people I go with about the clubs beer/booze is the lack of a really low price point beer.  It's a forgone conclusion that no one in the group is going to pay 6/7 bucks a beer all night long, but there are quite a few who'd buy quite a few if the club offered 1.50/2.00 PBR's or some such similar beer.  Granted, I don't know many places at all, if any, in the DC area that do that.  Alley Katz is about the only thing that comes to mind and that's A. in Richmond, and B. not quite the 930 club, so the comparison is quite pale, but that's often what I hear referenced.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2009, 08:42:01 am »
Dunno about the rest of the DC venues but I'm pretty sure Natty Boh bottles are still $3 at Sonar.  I seem to recall not so long ago when they were $2/2.50 at Rams Head.

Club Firestone in Orlando charged me $5 for PBR this summer.  Not much of an incentive to drink swill.

hutch

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2009, 09:50:14 am »
I don't see it as realistic for the 930 to have a $1.50/$2 beer. This is DC not Topeka, Kansas or Baltimore or that shithole Richmond. But the 930 is at the other extreme and dangerously close if not already at the point where its gouging customers.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 10:49:28 am by hutch »

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2009, 10:54:49 am »
So Im a bit confused (considering Ive not been to the 9:30 Club in awhile), but what are beer prices at currently? I remember them not being so cheap, but also not unaffordable.

And it seems up here, plenty of people pay $6 for beers all night long and dont complain. Or maybe we're just used to higher prices up here.
HeyLa

hutch

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2009, 11:03:20 am »
So Im a bit confused (considering Ive not been to the 9:30 Club in awhile), but what are beer prices at currently? I remember them not being so cheap, but also not unaffordable.

And it seems up here, plenty of people pay $6 for beers all night long and dont complain. Or maybe we're just used to higher prices up here.

I think its $5 for budweiser bottle, and $6 for a lot of drafts.. not sure if there are higher price levels... I think maybe Stellas are $7?

By "up here" I take it you mean NYC? I think DC prices in the past 15 yeas have gotten closer to NYC prices.

I feel like there were $3 bottles less than 10 years ago....

ANyways, if affordable is a $5 bottle of Bud then I guess its affordable...

Sorry I can't be more helpful..

I guess I always add the tip in automatically so to me thats $6 for a bottle of bud or $7 for a yuengling..

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2009, 11:16:37 am »
Don't worry, Seth.  I still drink plenty.   :)

hutch

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2009, 11:17:16 am »
Anyways, thread wasn't about complaining about 930 prices.. it seemed to devolve into a discussion about upcoming price hikes for beer at the 930 given Inbevs decision to charge more for its beer.

I wrote that it seemed odd to hike prices in a recession when you're selling less because people have less income.

I still think its odd to hike prices in a recession. You don't increase taxes in a recession and you don't charge more for products when their demand is decreasing (which seemed to be mentioned in the Inbev article). In fact you'd probably be best advised to charge less!

You wonder if we're possibly heading into stagflation.

edbert

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2009, 11:47:57 am »
>>>Hockey games may not be quite as much fun next year when i'm not pounding beers the whole time, but it will sure be less expensive.

For 7pm games there are some happy hour bargains in the neighborhood.  I'll often get to LaTasca before a game for a couple $3.50 fairly deep glasses of red

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2009, 12:51:57 pm »

ok sir, please stay calm - everything is going to be alright.  i need you to step away from the economics terminology, niiiiiiice and slow.  don't want any surprises, 'cause no one like surprises, right?  thaaaat right, just step away and no one gets hurt...
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2009, 01:04:52 pm »

ok sir, please stay calm - everything is going to be alright.  i need you to step away from the economics terminology, niiiiiiice and slow.  don't want any surprises, 'cause no one like surprises, right?  thaaaat right, just step away and no one gets hurt...

yeah I really transmitted panic there!

godsshoeshine

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2009, 01:05:56 pm »
>>>Hockey games may not be quite as much fun next year when i'm not pounding beers the whole time, but it will sure be less expensive.

For 7pm games there are some happy hour bargains in the neighborhood.  I'll often get to LaTasca before a game for a couple $3.50 fairly deep glasses of red

i like matchbox for rogue shakespearean stout
o/\o

wml7

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2009, 01:10:05 pm »
just bring in a flask, seth won't mind  ;D

walkonby

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2009, 03:33:25 pm »

and joints.  the scary looking guy loves people with joints.   ;)

Driveway

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2009, 04:12:14 pm »
I don't drink at the 930, but I do drink at the Black Cat.  If the Black Cat can sell PBR drafts for $3.50 I don't see why 930 can't.  I also think the Black Cat has nicer bar tenders, but that's for a different thread.  Even if thre 930 sold PBR drafts for $4.50 I'd be more inclined to partake.  The last beer I got at the 930 was a Rolling Rock @ $7 and that is not acceptable for pale piss in a red party cup.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2009, 04:14:50 pm »

and joints.  the scary looking guy loves people with joints.   ;)
And your own outside food! His ear extenders can double as salad plates for patrons!