Author Topic: Going to Super Furry Animals in NY or NJ?  (Read 16947 times)

Zaphod

Re: Going to Super Furry Animals in NY or NJ?
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2009, 06:59:54 pm »
LOL @ "my new favorite color is FABULOUS".  SFA were amazing.  the openers unbearably bad esp. the first band. they had that one song that was literally 4 minutes of just "na na na na na na na na."  I realized I'm lucky enough to have never heard an opening band so bad for many years.  I agree SFA should retire TMDGAF.  I'm not sure why everybody reacts so well to it.  I jump around sure but just for the fun of it, not because I'm especially into the song.  I'm pretty sure I remember them playing Fire in My Heart live at least once in DC before.  Really enjoyed Demons and If You Don't Want  Me to Destroy You.  Wish they'd played Helium Hearts.  Great time!

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2009, 08:46:34 pm »
the openers unbearably bad esp. the first band. they had that one song that was literally 4 minutes of just "na na na na na na na na." 
Oh, the Kaiser Chiefs opened?

Giles

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2009, 09:59:54 am »
The Furries NOT playing DC - well that's a first.... what the Welsh no longer like performing here (that's Manics jab)??  I must admit I didn't really care for the latest album, so ... oh well... no real loss. 

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2009, 10:11:29 am »
Well, it wasn't even a real tour, so it's not really a case of skipping DC.  They were booked for ATP, and they scheduled two nearby shows for the weekend.  That's it.

And DD/LY is excellent.

Giles

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2009, 10:15:16 am »
Well, it wasn't even a real tour, so it's not really a case of skipping DC.  They were booked for ATP, and they scheduled two nearby shows for the weekend.  That's it.

And DD/LY is excellent.

DD/LY is the first album where the songs weren't memorable in the slightest IMO. 

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2009, 10:22:48 am »
I disagree entirely.  I think it's one of their overall best sets of songs yet.  It doesn't really sound like the rest of their catalogue, but it still sounds like SFA.

I've considered it very near the top of their list, honestly.  It still sounds fresh whenever I listen to it.

And live, the songs were just ridiculously great.

Giles

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2009, 10:51:23 am »
I disagree entirely.  I think it's one of their overall best sets of songs yet.  It doesn't really sound like the rest of their catalogue, but it still sounds like SFA.

I've considered it very near the top of their list, honestly.  It still sounds fresh whenever I listen to it.

And live, the songs were just ridiculously great.

channeling the Beach Boys ...

okay I'm wrong the only song that is memorable is the one about the 'Big F---ing Mountian'   ;D

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2009, 11:05:41 am »
And channeling the Beach Boys makes it un-SFA?

They've always been pretty clear where they take influences from, the Beach Boys being high on the list.  But they aren't one of those bands who just make the same records their influences made, over and over again. 

And as far as the Beach Boys influence goes, it's not near as prominent on DD/LY as past Furries records.

Giles

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2009, 11:24:56 am »
And channeling the Beach Boys makes it un-SFA?

They've always been pretty clear where they take influences from, the Beach Boys being high on the list.  But they aren't one of those bands who just make the same records their influences made, over and over again. 

And as far as the Beach Boys influence goes, it's not near as prominent on DD/LY as past Furries records.

oh definately no, I'm all for them breaking their own mold, but all the songs on DD/LY sound the same - that's the prob I have with the release.  Granted how Gruff made impressive solo albums and Neon Neon - DD/LY sounds like a step backwards in my opinion. 

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2009, 01:45:26 pm »
Meh, I think the songs are all wonderful in their own way.  But I do see how it can put off some fans.  I, however, love it, and easily put it as number one this year.  It's pointless for me to rank the SFA/Gruff albums, since I love them all so much, and my preference changes day-to-day, but I'd have DD/LY towards the top.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2009, 04:58:48 pm »
DD/LY is the first album where the songs weren't memorable in the slightest IMO. 

This is how I felt about Phantom Power and Love Kraft. Then Gruff won me back over with Candylion, Neon Neon, Hey Venus, now DD/LY. He's been on an incredible roll the last few years.