Author Topic: Punk Rock Girl  (Read 6794 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Punk Rock Girl
« on: August 28, 2009, 02:47:37 pm »
"We went to the Philly Pizza Company
And ordered some hot tea
The waitress said well no, we only have it iced
So we jumped up on the table and shouted anarchy
And someone played a Beach Boys song on the jukebox
It it was "California Dreamin"
So we started screamin
On such a winter's day"

this has been bugging me for a while... "california dreamin" isn't a beach boys song, is this an intentional screw-up?

discuss.
(o|o)

nkotb

Re: Punk Rock Girl
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 02:49:19 pm »
They did do a cover of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Dreamin%27

"We went to the Philly Pizza Company
And ordered some hot tea
The waitress said well no, we only have it iced
So we jumped up on the table and shouted anarchy
And someone played a Beach Boys song on the jukebox
It it was "California Dreamin"
So we started screamin
On such a winter's day"

this has been bugging me for a while... "california dreamin" isn't a beach boys song, is this an intentional screw-up?

discuss.

evilizac

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 02:52:42 pm »
I always believed it to be an intentional screw up... Sort of in the nature of youthful punk rock society.
either way I do know that if you aint got Mojo Nixon than your store could more likely than not use some serious fixin'.
WHAT?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 03:02:55 pm »
I always believed it to be an intentional screw up... Sort of in the nature of youthful punk rock society.

that was my take on it, a little like:

"Pretty girl keep growin' up, playin' make-up, wearin' guitar"
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 03:13:04 pm »
They did do a cover of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Dreamin%27

Yes, the Beach Boys covered it in 1986, and the Dead Milkmen song came out 2 years later.  I think it was intentional, and not factually wrong.  These guys knew their music, after all, they wrote a song about Ringo shooting Paul and what would happen.

Enjoy the Video.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:14:49 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 03:20:47 pm »
Better yet, straight from the source:

Joe Jack Says:

September 7th, 2006 at 8:00 pm
I sometimes play Punk Rock Girl at my solo shows too and people have come up to me afterwards to tell me that California Dreamin is not a Beach Boys song.

But.. it is!

Look here:
http://www.lyrics007.com/Beach%20Boys%20Lyrics/Californian%20Dreamin%20Lyrics.html

I know that it is originally a Mamas and Papas song, but at the time that I wrote them, the Beach Boys had just had a top 40-ish (now forgotten) hit with their cover of the song. (This was the mid-80s.) It was in juke boxes (the Beach Boys version) and on the radio. I heard the Beach Boys version quite a lot on the radio, in fact, in the blue hospital ambulance van during the Eat Your Paisley-era tours.

I don?t understand why people get so worked up about this. Don?t people say that ?Ring of Fire? is a Johnny Cash song, even though June Carter wrote it with Merle Kilgard (and also recorded it, later)? (June Carter?s sister, Anita, was the first to record the song.)

Yes, I know. The Mamas and the Papas recorded the ultimate version of ?California Dreamin?? and it will always be considered their song, and not the Beach Boys?.

Basically, The Beach Boys name fit better in the lyrics and I wanted to quote ?On such a winter?s day? in the lyric? plus, The Beach Boys version was the MODERN one and more likely to have been playing in a jukebox (then, not now).

-------------

Everybody feel better now?

I can't tell you how happy I am that my 11,000th post was debunking the Dead Milkmen issue...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:23:45 pm by vansmack »
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 03:47:53 pm »
i knew there would be some complete explanation for this whole thing, hilarious
(o|o)

walkonby

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 03:54:39 pm »
all this talk about one of the greatest bands to ever grace the theory of music . . . has me believing that a new record is due at any time now.  you guys on here are psychic and just don't know it yet.

snailhook

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 08:06:26 pm »
i live in the house in west philly where the dead milkmen used to live and rehearse in the late '80s. that's all i have to add.

thirsty moore

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 11:24:27 pm »
The Dead Milkmen wouldn't screw up. I have faith in their lyrics.

diediemydarling

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 05:01:09 pm »
replacements are cool.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 05:25:24 pm »
i live in the house in west philly where the dead milkmen used to live and rehearse in the late '80s. that's all i have to add.
Did the Fresh Prince live next door?  "In West Philidelphia I was born and raised...."

Sorry bad joke.

Some friends of mine rented a house in Md where Joan Jett lived during high school.  A band I was in a the time would practice there sometimes, and all I could think about was that horrible movie she was in with what's-his-name from back to the future where they have a band together.

</non sequitur>
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 05:27:09 pm by chaz »

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 03:03:33 pm »

Why? Are you seranaded by the ghosts of all those Dead Milkmen?  :o 8) :o