Author Topic: Julian's Richmond  (Read 8338 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Julian's Richmond
« on: August 28, 2009, 04:52:46 pm »
No, sadly, not Julian's America redux. More of a discussion thread for the Richmond'ers.

Has anyone been to Balliceaux yet? It's went from "not open" to "hottest restaurant in town" in about 10 days and the menu and cocktail selection looks incredible. We're trying to get in tonite, but they only take reservations for 6+. Going to bite the bullet and just wait it out at the bar. Any reviews from any of you?

walkonby

Re: Julian's Richmond
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 05:25:34 pm »
No, sadly, not Julian's America redux. More of a discussion thread for the Richmond'ers.

Has anyone been to Balliceaux yet? It's went from "not open" to "hottest restaurant in town" in about 10 days and the menu and cocktail selection looks incredible. We're trying to get in tonite, but they only take reservations for 6+. Going to bite the bullet and just wait it out at the bar. Any reviews from any of you?

their dinner menu sounds interesting, and i like the way they seperated it up (field/farm/sea).  could have more selections in various higher priced ranges though, but what they have share pairing that seem honest to a foodie's tastebuds, plus the sides sound yum yum.  but on a serious note, their beer (tap and bottle) plus coctail selction make this place almost certain to be a hit.  i can see why they do not do reservations . . . they almost certainly know they're the "new" shit shit.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 05:30:34 pm »
The "virtually no entree above $15" thing is kinda their niche. The richmond foodblogs are playing it up as farm-to-fork, top-quality cuisine at ridiculously low prices. And the decor looked incredible when we were there the other day. I'm sure it'll be in alot of Top 10 in Town lists for a few years, but it clearly will be better once the 'omg' buzz wears off.

walkonby

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 05:45:52 pm »
are there any "strict organic" places in richmond, such as the dc offering of nora, and what was the fabulous beyond compare, now gone forever (i hope not), asia nora?

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 05:49:19 pm »
Not to the best of my knowledge, but there are certainly places that have alot of organic food. The cafe at Ellwood Thompson's, Ipanema, and Mezzanine would be three.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 05:58:16 pm »
I was always partial to some of the places in the fan such as Buddy's, John & Norman's, The Robin Inn, etc.  It's been so long since I visited any of them though that I have no idea even if they are still open.
FUKIT

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 06:23:32 pm »
The Robin Inn, yes, I think so. The other two, never heard of.

betao

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 11:32:27 pm »
I used to eat at The Robin Inn with my family all the time when I was young. It's still open - I often find myself driving by it going to and from VCU.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 01:51:50 am »
If you are a poker player, we have a weekly game on Park Ave.  Usually Wednesday nights.  PM me if interested.
FUKIT

walkonby

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 08:54:56 pm »
in the latest issue of the washingtonian (which is a very good one and a keeper) called the fall getaway      issue . . . there is a section, though only 2 pages but still delightful, detailing the highlights of a funfilled day romp in the town of richmond.  represent, homeslices.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:25:31 pm by walkonby »

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 09:20:07 pm »
Proposed new slogan for the fair and lovely city of Richmond:

"Richmond, Virginia: It's a natural."

;D

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 10:44:24 am »
Proposed new slogan for the fair and lovely city of Richmond:

"Richmond, Virginia: It's a natural."

;D

A natural WHAT?
FUKIT

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 09:13:25 pm »
I guess I neglected to give anyone a review of Balliceaux. In a word: wow! Exquisite menu from the chef from Millie's. I had the chickpea salad, cocoa roasted beats, gazpacho, and truffle fries and it was all exquisite. My friend similarly raved about the chickpea salad and mussels, but thought it odd the mussels were served in their shell. We also split a bottle of Torrontes, excellent, especially considering the cheapest wine on the menu.

The custom cocktails, though, were exquisite+++. They buy into the whole old-school ingredients instead of mixes and the 4 we tried were delicious and strong. And this is saying nothing about the decor which is unrivaled in Richmond (well, maybe Verbena), and the ambiance and furniture and music. One of the best restaurants in town from day 1, and will stay packed for years. Cannot wait to go back, if only to lounge around the couch in the back bar with a Sazerac.

Anyone else have any RVA recommendations or recent finds? Please do share -- it's Julian's Richmond, but several of you live in it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:15:03 pm by Julian, Certified WEBLEBRITY »

walkonby

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 09:38:53 pm »
you see . . . that last sentence reeks of julian's richmond becoming julian's america.  no shame in denying the new world order of julian.  oh . . . and how long did you wait for your table?

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 09:41:08 pm »
  oh . . . and how long did you wait for your table?
Only 45 minutes, but at that bar with those cocktails (and sitting next to the owner, his wife, and Chris Bopst), it felt like 10.

Even by far more cosmopolitan standards (DC, NYC, etc), Balliceaux was pretty top-shelf.