Author Topic: TCV  (Read 50199 times)

hutch

Re: TCV
« Reply #165 on: October 05, 2009, 10:42:45 am »
Same thing happened for ACDC with the added caveat they were PAPERLESS .. they had this thing that if you joined the fanclub you could get two tickets... mrs hutch also joined and got two..... well they cancelled hers and since they were paperless we didn't find out til we checked our credit card statement the night of the show... we were ok but felt bad for two friends of a friend that we were trying to hook up...

brennser

« Reply #166 on: October 05, 2009, 07:57:37 pm »
TCV were pretty impressive at ACL. I'd say y'all are in for a treat

eltee

« Reply #167 on: October 05, 2009, 10:56:26 pm »
no opener for this show, right?

mekmad

« Reply #168 on: October 05, 2009, 11:07:03 pm »
Same thing happened for ACDC with the added caveat they were PAPERLESS .. they had this thing that if you joined the fanclub you could get two tickets... mrs hutch also joined and got two..... well they cancelled hers and since they were paperless we didn't find out til we checked our credit card statement the night of the show... we were ok but felt bad for two friends of a friend that we were trying to hook up...

Thats more of a load of crap then the load of crap handed to me for these tickets.  What a load of crap, sorry to hear it.

walkonby

« Reply #169 on: October 06, 2009, 09:55:35 am »
is anybody on the sense yet of whether this live experience / band altogether, is going to be epic . . . or rather "yeah, well seeing dave on drums again, was kinda cool . . .  but they should of got ______ to sing"??

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #170 on: October 06, 2009, 10:00:27 am »
is anybody on the sense yet of whether this live experience / band altogether, is going to be epic . . . or rather "yeah, well seeing dave on drums again, was kinda cool . . .  but they should of got ______ to sing"??
I'm perfectly fine with Josh singing.  I like his voice a lot.

And I haven't really read any negative reviews of the fact that he's in the band. 

bearman🐻

« Reply #171 on: October 06, 2009, 10:36:16 am »
I think this band is going to be a bit of a letdown for anyone who is NOT a fan of Queens of the Stone Age or Kyuss. If you're into Queens or just enjoy music for the sake of music, it's kind of like seeing Josh Homme go supersonic. How could he not be overshadowed by members of 2 of the all-time biggest bands in rock music?  But I get the sense that the songs are mostly his, the melodies are mostly his, it's just that he has one incredibly badass and damaging rhythm section. I'm totally OK with that. This isn't the Traveling Wilburys. I'm sure Grohl will have a lot of people show up just because it's him, and JPJ will have some onlookers too. I'll be there for ALL of the band, including Alain Johannes, who is an amazing musician and producer. But I suspect I'm probably in the minority on that one.

MonkeyPants

« Reply #172 on: October 06, 2009, 11:12:27 am »
TCV were pretty impressive at ACL. I'd say y'all are in for a treat

Agreed.  I was not expecting much, but they were pretty awesome.  But I like QOTSA, so I also agree with bearman that if you do not like QOTSA, you probably won't like TCV.  If you do, you're going to love them.
PANTS

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #173 on: October 06, 2009, 12:34:39 pm »
I think this band is going to be a bit of a letdown for anyone who is NOT a fan of Queens of the Stone Age or Kyuss.

Maybe....but those people have issues to begin with.  Particularly those that don't like Kyuss.

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2009, 04:21:40 pm »

I and everyone I was with freaking loved it in Austin, though we are all huge QOTSA/Josh Homme fans.  It sounds like Josh out playing great new QOTSA material with an incredibly sick QOTSA lineup behind him.  Grohl is powerful and right on, but very understated.  He does not make a show of himself, he just pounds the hell out of the drums.  John Paul Jones just takes the whole thing over the top.  There is also a second guitarist.

I do think people not sold on Josh Homme might be let down, but if you have drank the Homme kool-aid, bring an extra pair of shorts to the gig with you.

MonkeyPants

« Reply #175 on: October 06, 2009, 05:26:03 pm »
Grohl is powerful and right on, but very understated.  He does not make a show of himself, he just pounds the hell out of the drums.

well except for the fact that he employs one guy whose entire job seems to be to move the mic for him throughout the show.  he just sits there behind the drums and swings the mic in and out.  I consider that pretty showy ;)
PANTS

hemisphire

« Reply #176 on: October 07, 2009, 08:12:59 am »
I just got back from Austin, saw 'em twice.  I don't consider myself the biggest QOTSA fan, but I did enjoy seeing Dave play drums for them at the club in 2002, and this feels different.  One of their songs feels like a slowed down and spacier "Trampled Underfoot", and I really enjoyed it.  Also, when JPJ plays the keys it brings the sound to a new place.  Looking forward to the 14th.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #177 on: October 11, 2009, 12:34:16 pm »
"mini mansions" opening for TCV.  based on their 4 myspace tracks (http://www.myspace.com/minimansionsmusic) they seem to be on the 60's psychedelic tip, with a strong beatles influence.  should make for an interesting/acceptable opener.

edit: apparently i'm not the only one who hears a beatles influence: http://losangeles.ohmyrockness.com/BandBio.cfm?BandID=25780
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 12:36:24 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #178 on: October 11, 2009, 01:57:44 pm »
There are several TCV shows up for download on Dime in case anyone wants to get familiar with the songs before the show.

azaghal1981

« Reply #179 on: October 11, 2009, 02:10:32 pm »
Good looking out. Downloading Austin.

82+ minutes is more than I thought they had in them.
احمد