Author Topic: DC Vinyl Collectors/Cratediggers thread...  (Read 10080 times)

hutch

DC Vinyl Collectors/Cratediggers thread...
« on: September 07, 2009, 02:05:41 pm »
Michel Polnareff's debut LP from 67... in front of rough and ready furnishing on 14th they were giving away a pile of records..I guess they tried to sell them for $1 yesterday and what didn't sell got a bit wet and they decided  to give away.

pretty rare record.. big warp and cover a bit wet from rain (not much)... but just finished listening to it and it plays pretty darn well..

has the original version of poupee qui fait non which I want to say Luna or Dean Wareham covered on a CD of covers of french songs etc..

Curiously enough the Allmusic guide writeup on Polnareff's 71 album says Stereolab kinda ripped their sound off of that one...don't have it so can't say.. maybe I'll try to get a copy sometime

Also found a Johnny Otis Show LP .. pretty early rock and roll...on Capitol turqoise label...will spin that later...does not look to be in good shape but some of these LPs hold up quite well

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: DC Vinyl Collectors/Cratediggers thread...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 02:09:17 pm »
I found the 10" white label test-pressing for Taylor Swift's landmark 2006 recording Our Song, with the ultra rare dancehall remix on the b-side. Haven't played it yet, it's too rare of a recording to risk damaging on my mid-level system, but planning to visit my friend's studio this weekend where I can use his expensive tube turntable to rip it to flac for my computer. EXCITING!!

Best $900 I ever spent.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 07:37:43 pm »
I just got a Dual 1219 from this guy in Brookland.  Great condition, new cartridge, sounds really good.  He has a ton of old audio equipment for sale, PM me if you want his info.
(o|o)

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 09:03:16 am »
I'll bite.  I just picked up a near-mint copy of Wire Train's In a Chamber LP.  I know the CDs are hard to find and expensive as hell and the price I paid was less than half of what the record is worth. 
Sounds like it has hardly been played.  Good stuff.

snailhook

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 03:52:18 am »
michel polnareff is good stuff. his '73-'74 material is glammy in a good way.  great $1 find if the vinyl's in good shape.

i've been broke lately but i had a nice score in baltimore the other day...got clifford thornton's new art ensemble's freedom & unity, which lists for close to $100. got that for $30. also snagged a nice cpy of cecil taylor's unit structures for $15.

hutch

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 07:21:01 pm »
Headsup: Looks like October 4 is the next DC Record Show and its going to be at Comet 10 am...

I'm having trouble finding as much vinyl as I used to.....Seems like there's less stores...

These are my recent scores (nothing earthshattering)..

Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell "You're all I need" Tamla TS 284 $1
Stan Getz/Luiz Bonfa (the only LP i was missing in so far as Getz' Bossa Nova titles on verve) Verve V-8523 $10
Ian Dury New Boots and Panties Stiff 4..incldues the added sex and drugs and rock and roll..$1
Valerie Simpson Tamla T317 $1
Kay Starr "Blue Starr" RCA LPM 1549 $1
Tony Bennett Cloud 7 Columbia CL 621 six eye ( I think there was an earlier maroon label)..This is Tony's debut LP...a gem...$5
King Cole Trio Vocal Classics Capitol T 591 Turquoise label D2/D2..wonderful stuff..$1
Willie Colon Presents Ruben Blades... Fania 500.. a friend gave me this one.. I had the reissue/this is the original
Anita O'Day All the Sad Young Men Verve 8442..$3
Charlie Ventura Collates Clef MGC-117...10".. cool David Stone Martin cover...$4
Grady Tate Windmills of my mind Skye 4...bought this for the session men.. not too thrilled with condition as has a scratch I had not noticed...$8
Mundell Lowe Satan in High Heels on CHarlie Parker Records...$1..cool music
Luiz Bonfa The Brazilian Scene Phillips PHS 600-208 $3.. When I compare Bonfa to Joao Gilberto there is no comparison unfortunately
Gary Glitter The Leader...early 80s issue of his best stuff from his first two Bell LPs..$4
Herb Geller Fire in the West on Jubilee 1044..great jazz including Kenny Dorham, Harold Land< Ray Brown..$1
Stan Kenton Contemporary Concepts Capitol T 666.. love those turquoise Capitol LPs from the 50s... they really are some of the best sounding records out there..$1

walkonby

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 08:58:54 pm »
i don't understand vinyl.  it's bigness scares me.  i only like one thing big . . . and i sure don't listen to it.

tobyd

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 10:18:23 am »
These are the vinyl shops I regularly frequent in the area listed in order of my own preference.  They're all worth checking out but Joe's is king.

Joe's Record Paradise - Rockville, MD
Normal's - Baltimore, MD
True Vine - Hampden, Baltimore, MD
Som - 14th St NW, DC
Smash - 18th St. NW, DC
Crooked Beat - 18th St. NW, DC
CD Cellar - Wilson Blvd., Arlington, VA
Red Onion - 18th St. NW, DC

Am I missing anything?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 10:34:42 am by tobyd »

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 10:20:11 am »
Try the CD Cellar in Falls Church.  A very large majority of my CD and LP collections came from that place.

Christine Moritz

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 10:28:01 am »
I thought this thread was going to be about the Sun. 10/4 D.C. Record Fair.

I bought about 60 records on when I was in London earlier this month... will post a list once I get it typed up.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 02:35:51 pm »
These are the vinyl shops I regularly frequent in the area listed in order of my own preference.  They're all worth checking out but Joe's is king.

Normal's - Baltimore, MD
Som - 14th St NW, DC
Smash - 18th St. NW, DC

Am I missing anything?

Vienna Music Exchange on Church St.
http://www.myspace.com/viennamusicexchange
Specializes in metal but has a decent selection of other genres at reasonable prices.

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 11:32:41 pm »
Headsup: Looks like October 4 is the next DC Record Show and its going to be at Comet 10 am...

I'm having trouble finding as much vinyl as I used to.....Seems like there's less stores...

These are my recent scores (nothing earthshattering)..

Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell "You're all I need" Tamla TS 284 $1
Stan Getz/Luiz Bonfa (the only LP i was missing in so far as Getz' Bossa Nova titles on verve) Verve V-8523 $10
Ian Dury New Boots and Panties Stiff 4..incldues the added sex and drugs and rock and roll..$1
Valerie Simpson Tamla T317 $1
Kay Starr "Blue Starr" RCA LPM 1549 $1
Tony Bennett Cloud 7 Columbia CL 621 six eye ( I think there was an earlier maroon label)..This is Tony's debut LP...a gem...$5
King Cole Trio Vocal Classics Capitol T 591 Turquoise label D2/D2..wonderful stuff..$1
Willie Colon Presents Ruben Blades... Fania 500.. a friend gave me this one.. I had the reissue/this is the original
Anita O'Day All the Sad Young Men Verve 8442..$3
Charlie Ventura Collates Clef MGC-117...10".. cool David Stone Martin cover...$4
Grady Tate Windmills of my mind Skye 4...bought this for the session men.. not too thrilled with condition as has a scratch I had not noticed...$8
Mundell Lowe Satan in High Heels on CHarlie Parker Records...$1..cool music
Luiz Bonfa The Brazilian Scene Phillips PHS 600-208 $3.. When I compare Bonfa to Joao Gilberto there is no comparison unfortunately
Gary Glitter The Leader...early 80s issue of his best stuff from his first two Bell LPs..$4
Herb Geller Fire in the West on Jubilee 1044..great jazz including Kenny Dorham, Harold Land< Ray Brown..$1
Stan Kenton Contemporary Concepts Capitol T 666.. love those turquoise Capitol LPs from the 50s... they really are some of the best sounding records out there..$1

i'm definitely rolling up to the joint at Comet. the homie from SOM Records will be there.

killsaly

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 12:04:45 am »
Does any of those places buy drum and bass and house records?  I sold my turntables a while back, and still have crates of records taking up too much space. 

RustyOrgan

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 02:03:48 pm »
Record + Tape Exchange in Fairfax, VA is okay..

tobyd

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 02:55:23 pm »
VINYL RECORD STORES - DC AREA

CD Cellar - Falls Church. VA
Normal's - Baltimore, MD
Record + Tape Exchange - Fairfax, VA
Smash - 18th St. NW, DC
Som - 14th St NW, DC