Author Topic: Buju Banton  (Read 8415 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Buju Banton
« on: September 08, 2009, 12:15:07 pm »
The National has this guy booked, and I'll be honest, I had no clue who he is. Apparently he has made several anti-homophobic statements in the past and wrote a song when he was 15 about shooting a gay man in the head. LiveNation has cancelled his shows at all of their venues, and now a massive protest is going on locally by the LGBT community (the vast majority of which, as full disclosure, appear to be from out-of-state, so perhaps hutch was onto something) demanding the venue cancel the concert and eat the fee they would still have to pay to the artist or none of them (supposedly) will ever visit The National again. The National seems to be saying they will not even consider the possibility, and it's turned into a powderkeg with people on both sides saying they'll show up to attend or protest with licensed handguns, etc, etc.

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Would you boycott a venue in perpetuity because of an artist you disagree with vehemently being booked there? Seems an interesting discussion.

azaghal1981

Re: Buju Banton
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 12:21:10 pm »
Your not having heard of him is somewhat of a surprise.

Standard 90's dance hall reggae. I would've seen him at the club if he were playing there. Had no idea about the controversy.
احمد

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 12:22:58 pm »
Your not having heard of him is somewhat of a surprise.
I was aware there was an artist with that name. I'd always assumed from the name it was a reggae artist. Not being a reggae or dancehall fan, I never listened to his music.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 12:40:15 pm »
The National has this guy booked, and I'll be honest, I had no clue who he is. Apparently he has made several anti-homophobic statements in the past and wrote a song when he was 15 about shooting a gay man in the head.

anti-homophobic = pro-gay, no?  i think you meant "homophobic".

i'm in favor of not booking homophobic douchbags in the first place, but since he is already signed - why not let him play and let the market speak.  the LGBT'ers should continue protesting and raising awareness, and hopefully next to no one will show up for the show.  probably the most effective thing that can happen at this point.
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 12:46:35 pm »
Just re-read the post. So the comments were in fact homophobic, not anti-homophobic? I guess that would make more sense given the outrage.
Just re-read the post. So the comments were in fact homophobic, not anti-homophobic? I guess that makes sense given the outrage.
احمد

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 12:47:12 pm »
Yea, one of my friends here at VCU has been arguing on the National's FB page.

Honestly, this whole thing is stupid.  The venue has a contract with the artist.  They shouldn't have to cancel the show just because some people take offense.  I'm not anti-gays at all, but this whole thing is just ridiculous.

Let him play, and see how many people show up.  Protest, that's cool too.  But saying the National has to cancel the show is just foolish.  This Buju fellow has the freedom to perform, provided a venue is provided for him.  That has happened, so be it.  I'm sure many unfavorably characters have played there, or the 930 before, and it doesn't make me any less likely to go to shows there.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 01:00:39 pm »
This Buju fellow has the freedom to perform, provided a venue is provided for him.

like others, i'm not aware of this performer's music/message... but if it's hate speech, then he doesn't have a right to perform.
<sig>

Shadrach

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 01:02:48 pm »
Unfortunately I think a venue that books an artist takes the risk of aligning with him or her regardless of whether or not it's warranted.

For the record Buju Banton was booked here in the past, but after we learned of his anti-gay stance Seth cancelled the show.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 01:04:01 pm »
This Buju fellow has the freedom to perform, provided a venue is provided for him.

like others, i'm not aware of this performer's music/message... but if it's hate speech, then he doesn't have a right to perform.
From what I've seen, the entire thing stems from one line in a song he wrote long ago.

To me, it's no different than Eminem or Axl Rose still being able to perform, despite releasing racially offensive material long ago.

Should the National cancel the show?  Probably a safe move.  Do they have to?  Absolutely not.

BookerT

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 01:04:05 pm »
he's played at wolf trap before. i guess that means the gov't is anti-gay.

but we sorta knew that already, right?

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 01:04:42 pm »
I guess what I think is ridiculous about the whole thing (aside from promising "armed protests") is the idea that the venue has an obligation to cancel the show, and pay out of pocket, I dunno, $20,000 to this guy? That's kinda nuts.

Lots of objectional acts have been booked at respectable venues -- Gwar, Cannibal Corpse, Anal Cunt, etc etc. If people don't like it (and I don't) then don't go. But to act like the venue has to uphold your sense of right-and-wrong is nuts. I would be interested to hear a sensible person's defense for why the venue should be boycotted because of ONE act in the years its been open who's played there.

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 01:05:45 pm »
For the record Buju Banton was booked here in the past, but after we learned of his anti-gay stance Seth cancelled the show.
Did he still have to pay the guy? I guess I'd be more sympathetic to the "cancel the show" movement if it didn't mean a venue taking a major financial hit.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 01:07:14 pm »
I guess what I think is ridiculous about the whole thing (aside from promising "armed protests") is the idea that the venue has an obligation to cancel the show, and pay out of pocket, I dunno, $20,000 to this guy? That's kinda nuts.

Lots of objectional acts have been booked at respectable venues -- Gwar, Cannibal Corpse, Anal Cunt, etc etc. If people don't like it (and I don't) then don't go. But to act like the venue has to uphold your sense of right-and-wrong is nuts. I would be interested to hear a sensible person's defense for why the venue should be boycotted because of ONE act in the years its been open who's played there.
This is exactly it.  The dude will more than likely get paid regardless of whether or not its cancelled.  Expecting the venue to pay that without any chance of income is just idiotic.  Don't like him?  Don't go.  It's simple.

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 01:08:04 pm »
From what I've seen, the entire thing stems from one line in a song he wrote long ago.
Apparently he continues to perform the song, has as recently as 3 years ago continued to spout anti-homosexual propoganda in concert, and some people are claiming he was arrested in 2006 for taking part in the beating of a gay man in Jamaica (although I can find no substantiation for this claim).

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 01:09:45 pm »
Hey azgahal, I tried sending you a PM but your box is full!