Author Topic: One Hit Wonders American Idol Style  (Read 4339 times)

hitman

Re: One Hit Wonders American Idol Style
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005, 01:34:00 am »

due [/b]

hitman

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005, 02:30:00 am »
tune in tonight!!!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2005, 10:03:00 pm »
well this weeks show was way better until the total suckfest of an ending...  I actually watch most of it without skipping

Performance much  better The Knack and Haddaway good like Haddaway's out of the box cover.  Tommy Tutone and The Motels hit good and cover so-so...

and if you want to see a trainwreck of a message board go to shows site on nbc.com where mike reno's chubbiness is explained a result of his metabolism slowing down... funny The Knack's metabolism must be still running...
T.Rex

hitman

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005, 12:52:00 am »
I couldn't believe Vanilla Ice won.  Jesus Christ!  I would have thought for sure that the Motels were going to get it.  But I said to my wife at the beginning of the show, that I had a sneaking suspicion that Ice was going to win.

I couldn't see how his cover, was really a cover at all.  It surely didn't sound like the same lyrics to me.  They only thing that seemed to sound the same was "I'm a survivor" and that's it.  Everything else was different.

What I absolutely love is how he is such a fucking sell-out.  He does the Surreal Life and Remaking on VH1, and all he says is that the his image was contrived and was never really what he was.  That he was always hardcore, and that's why he was attempting the foray into that genre, etc.  Especially on Remaking when all he kept talking about was being himself, and that when he was famous he never was himself, and all of this other bullshit.  Then what does he do tonight...whips out the same damn dance moves and everything else.  According to everything he's pontificated about, he shouldn't have even been on this show, because the only version of that song he performs now is the "hardcore" version.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2005, 08:54:00 am »
My score card had The Knack in front, quality performance all around! Those bums need to do some touring.  They have been slowly putting out quality new material over the pass few years.  They have a knack for picking good covers and I actually thought their version  "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?" was better than Jet's.  Hmm wonder is Jet actually wrote that song...  In my heart I wanted them to do a Franz Ferdinand song but the gut had to go with a hit.

Haddaway was a close second liked his choice of Toxicity, although the backing sounded very much like the orginial.   Thought he might win based on the cover.

Martha Davis's voice sounds great but the cover didn't do it for me at all.  Plus it looked like the Motelets behind her with all the youngish looking band members.  Are there any orginial members working with her at this point?

Tommy Tutone again great job on the hit, but a little shaky on the cover.  Sounded like he was trying to turn the Blink 182 into a real sibg.  But considering the source material kinda tough.  He should have done Green Day or even tackled "Float On", a song which is bound to turn up as a cover at some point.

Vanilla Ice is a no talent ass clown who keeps busting out tired moves kinda like Jacko and his moonwalk.  The reason he won is because all the females near the stage looked as though they wanted do him on the spot.  That whole "bad" boy image.  

So crass beats class and I'm off to post a all caps post on the shows bbs about how the Knack were robbed.  And no more predictions for me seeing as I don't have any idea what constitutes a  hit these days..
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2005, 09:05:00 am »
ugh major suckage prediction for next week... the cover will blow as evidenced by the fact the best song picked is Dido's "White Flag" and Howard Jones will be performing it.

Wang Chung, Irene Cara, Sophie B. Hawkins, Cameo, and Howard Jones.
T.Rex

rigsby

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2005, 09:07:00 am »
i agree the knack should have got it.

hitman

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2005, 04:00:00 am »
Cameo should be interesting.  Wonder if the guy will come out with his red metal cock shield?  Wonder if "Word Up" will really sound like shit.

I think Irene Cara should sing "Fame" instead of "Flashdance."

Always liked Howard Jones, never was really into Wang Chung.

Sophie B. Hawkins will put the audience to sleep.  Interesting story about Sophie.  I had a student during my first year of teaching about 7 years ago, that was wheelchair bound, and not expected to live out of middle school if that.  He received a Make-A-Wish to meet Arnold Schwarznegger.  So he met Arnold at one of the Disney parks, and so happened to bump into Sophie on the beach.  Last I heard of this student a few years ago, Sophie was still keeping in touch with him via penpal letters.  That's something to be appreciated.

Bags

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2005, 09:13:00 pm »
DAMN, I wish Sophie B. Hawkins would stand up straight.  She's in a constant pose with her ass out....

Also, "Damn I wish I was your lover" is INCORRECT GRAMMAR.  The title of the friggin' song.  It should be "Damn, I wish I were your lover" -- you use the subjunctive within hypothetical phrases (If I were, I wish I were...)

Geesh.

And Wang Chung sounded like a cover band doing their own song.

SPARX

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2005, 12:30:00 am »
Worst episode yet IMHO

rigsby

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2005, 08:37:00 am »
sophie looks like shes taking a dump, did you notice the different camera shot when she struggled to get her shirt off over her hand, also nice pit stains.

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2005, 09:04:00 am »
I thought either Cameo or Wang Chung (good cover) should have won. Fucking Irene Cara? Give me a break. She had other chicks singing the high noted on her cover.

What episode are the La's going to be on?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2005, 09:18:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:

What episode are the La's going to be on?
the episode where they'll lose to corpse of Old Dirty Bastard...
T.Rex

hitman

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2005, 03:59:00 am »
Damn...missed the most recent episode for staying late at work.  I will watch this Sunday on Bravo for the repeat.

hitman

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2005, 12:35:00 am »
Yes...Cameo did break out the cock shield.  Didn't think much of this episode.  I thought Irene Cara was actually pretty good, as far as her singing chops go.  But really thought Cameo should have won.  Sophie B. Hawkins was horrible;  half of the time you couldn't hear her at all.  The limey didn't mention who would be on this week.  Anyone know?