Author Topic: One Hit Wonders American Idol Style  (Read 4338 times)

Bags

One Hit Wonders American Idol Style
« on: June 02, 2005, 11:16:00 pm »
Though they're more than one hit wonders, but apparently it's like an American Idol type competition and the bands are voted on, each singing their big hit from days of yore and a cover song.  It was on tonight....haven't seen it yet, but the lineup of bands is a stunner...

"Veteran hitmakers perform and compete! Based on the popular UK show of the same name, "Hit Me Baby One More Time" tracks down hitmakers from the past and they take the stage in a new competition in which you're the judge! Former Top Ten artists return to perform their trademark hit song along with one of today's current hits. At the end of the night, the live audience votes for their favorites!

Coming Soon...
 Tiffany , CeCe Peniston , A Flock of Seagulls , Arrested Development, Loverboy, Wang Chung, The Knack, Irene Cara, Sophie B. Hawkins, Cameo, Tommy Tutone, Vanilla Ice, The Motels and more! "

As an aside, "History of the World, Part 1" is on Fox Movie Network.  Mel Brooks is singing "The Inquisition" to me, what a show!!!!   Sublime....(The next big Broadway show?)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: One Hit Wonders American Idol Style
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 11:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  "Veteran hitmakers perform and compete! Based on the popular UK show of the same name, "Hit Me Baby One More Time"
more proof that europe dominates the whole reality show thing ...
(o|o)

SPARX

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 11:46:00 pm »
Looks like one Idol's already cashin in.He mad a point of giving his band site out on Jon Stewart last night.Horrible,just horrible.He's gonna make a killin though! One cool thing is he seemed to bite the hand that feeds.He was subtly dissin A.I. the whole segment.Jon usually has good guests.Don't know what that was all about.Good for a few chuckles though as always.                                                                                          http://www.sugarmoney.net/

hitman

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 12:54:00 am »
the show was mildly entertaining.  flock of seagulls was just the lead singer and no one else from the original line up.  nothing like bands reunited.  tonight featured loverboy, cece peniston, flock of seagulls, arrested development, and tiffany.

brief synopsis...

loverboy was awful.  lead singer mike reno looks like he should be training for sumo wrestling.  and wearing all black didn't help him at all.  his voice seemed strangely higher pitched than 20 years ago.

cece peniston i didn't feel was that bad.  i think she can sing as well now if not better than current r&b artists catching fame right now.  interesting fact, never knew she performed for clinton's innauguration.

flock of seagulls, or lead singer of, i thought weren't that great at all.  especially when they did the cover of some shit ryan cabrera song.  it's about time to hang it up.

arrested development were quite good i thought.  they really haven't lost anything in the way of performance or talent.  they've just lost some of the people from the posse that was in the "tennesee" video.  dionne ferris wasn't with them, and it seems like they had three original members, plus an old guy i seem to remember from the video.  but he never did anything but dance or really rock back and forth in a rocking chair.  he's about as useless as the dancing fool in mighty bosstones.  and they had some new chick who was rather attractive.  best performance of the night.

tiffany wasn't bad, but really could sustain a long note.  she should hang it up too.  however, she has a dance music cd about to come out.  woo hoo!  she seemed to be pregnant, or just had a child or something.  either way, she weighs more now, that the playboy spread of a while back.  chest still huge though.  at one point she bent over, and i seriously thought we were about to have a janet jackson/fcc moment.

the audience voted for arrested development.  so they won $20k donated to their chosen charity, unicef.

next week apparenly is tommy tutone, vanilla ice, and some others i forgot.

interesting about ice, he was on the today show this morning hawking the show.  he was asked if he was going to do anything different to his song.  he answered no, that the song was timeless so why mess with it.  which is interesting given his rants and raves when he was on vh1's remaking not too long ago.  then he wanted nothing to do with his past, and was a dick about most everything else.

just my $.02...i'm sure others will comment.

SPARX

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 01:03:00 am »
Originally posted by hitman:
   chest still huge though.  at one point she bent over, and i seriously thought we were about to have a janet jackson/fcc moment.

next week apparenly is tommy tutone, vanilla ice, and some others i forgot.

The breasts were definitely ready to flop.that being said,not surprising that AD won,as they haven't been gone as long as most of the others.Motels next week should be interesting.I love how jacked Vanilla Ice gets when he doesn't get what he thinks are his deserved props.His facial expression when he loses should be good.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 06:51:00 am »
well it certainly wasn't as interesting as "bands reunited".... the host was obviously picked for his ability to deliver drivel with excitement.

the covers were a total embarassment which were skipped by thanks to the tivolite...  although i did call tiffany doing a kelly clarkson song.   both loverboy and the flock of buddies just need to give it up.  the lead singer of flock of hair challendged is such a twat, he was the least interesting member of the band in "bands reunited".  Did you notice the loverboy and flock of windbags were the only "artists" carrying on about their material goods?  and the county fair crowd must dig it when loverboy rolls into town...

and yes Arrested Development were the clear winners talent wise...

Next week it's three bands with actual talent The Knack who are still releasing great new material, The Motels and Tommy "will i ever shake jenny" TuTone
T.Rex

joz

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 10:11:00 am »
what's the time and channel?

hitman

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 02:11:00 pm »
NBC on Thursdays at 9pm.

kosmo...

Of course it wasn't as interesting as Bands Reunited.  And I don't know why they picked this host for "Hit Me..."  I thought he was horrible.  Half of the time his Queen's english and accent were so thick, you could barely understand him.  And he had the charisma of roadkill.

ggw

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 02:15:00 pm »
 And I don't know why they picked this host for "Hit Me..." I thought he was horrible. Half of the time his Queen's english and accent were so thick, you could barely understand him.  And he had the charisma of roadkill.
Markie is hosting a TV show...???

Bags

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 02:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Half of the time his Queen's english and accent were so thick, you could barely understand him.  And he had the charisma of roadkill.
Markie is hosting a TV show...??? [/b]
HAAAAA ha ha ha....

I agree with all above.  I watched a bit last night and the rest this morning.  Awful.  The host makes you want to kill him.  Ugh.  And once I saw that Flock only had the lead guy, I knew it was not going to be good.  But, in the end, the other band members should be thankful.

The cover song choices were atrocious -- Loverboy doing Enrique Iglesias' "Hero," Flock did some Ryan Carrabas (?) song, CeCe did Faith Hill, Tiffany did Kelly Clarkson "Breakaway" and Arrested Development did Los Lonely Boys' "Heaven."  

Arrested Development was the best by far, thank god they won....

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 02:35:00 pm »
the host was imported from the uk version of the show... my first thought wasn't they couldn't find an american willing to do it
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 02:58:00 pm »
Cover Song predictions

The Knack - "Veritgo"
 Haddawy - "Yeah!"
 Vanilla Ice - "Hey Ya" done numetal stylee
 The Motels - "White Flag"
 Tommy Tutone - "Are You Gonna Be My Girl"
T.Rex

hitman

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2005, 03:10:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  Cover Song predictions

Ice already said on the Today show yesterday morning that he was going to do "Survivor" by Destiny's Child.  He even alluded to that being some sort of anthem for him.    :o

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2005, 08:06:00 am »
Did anyone catch Beckham on the today show?  What a wuss.

RonniStar

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2005, 10:18:00 pm »

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  Cover Song predictions

Ice already said on the Today show yesterday morning that he was going to do "Survivor" by Destiny's Child.  He even alluded to that being some sort of anthem for him.     :o  [/b]
He's gonna due Survivor! It'll suck big time!