Author Topic: 930 sound system  (Read 5522 times)

jabella

930 sound system
« on: September 30, 2009, 11:56:21 am »
What does everyone think of the sound at the 930?  I'll see comments that the sound is very good, but from my experience it is kind of harsh on the high end and muddy on the low end.  I'll usually stand in the upper right balcony so maybe it is my position.  But once I was right up front on the floor, and I was very disappointed in the mix as they do not have any center fill speakers and the vocals were not clear at all.

OTOH, the sound at Ram's Head Baltimore is much better  - very crisp and clear and the club space is much more difficult than the 930 I would think.  Don't mean to be negative.  I'm just surprised the 930 doesn't have better sound.  Comments?

azaghal1981

Re: 930 sound system
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 01:28:54 pm »
It's easily the best sounding room I've ever been in although you do have a point re: not being able to hear the vocals right up front at many shows. The BC and other rooms in the area have the same problem, though. When you're right up front, most of the audio you're getting isn't from the PA but from the artists' monitors. I'm not exactly a sound engineer but think that has something to do with it.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 01:43:50 pm »
i really, really like the new PA at the club.  i haven't been up front/on the rail for a show since it's been put in, so i can't comment about the sound right up front.  but i thought zz top sounded really good from about 7 or 8 people back from the rail (closest i've been to the stage recently).  all the shows that i've been to sounded good to great from the floor and balcony.

at the first zz top show we showed up relatively early.  i found in interesting that a sizeable number of people who got there before us decided to grab a spot at the back of the floor directly in front of the soundboard.  obviously that's where you'll get the best sound, but didn't think it is where one dashes for a spot as soon as doors open.

When you're right up front, most of the audio you're getting isn't from the PA but from the artists' monitors. I'm not exactly a sound engineer but think that has something to do with it.

when you're right up front, you're getting a lot of direct sound from the guitar and bass amps and some from the drums.  vocals and keys (and strings), on the other hand, are only amplified through the monitors which are pointed back towards the band & away from the crowd.  fills are required to, well, fill in the missing bits like vocals and keys... although this mix is rarely very good, i doubt many sound engineers put a whole lot of time perfecting a properly filled-in mix for folks on the rail.
<sig>

Shadrach

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 01:56:17 pm »
What does everyone think of the sound at the 930?  I'll see comments that the sound is very good, but from my experience it is kind of harsh on the high end and muddy on the low end.  I'll usually stand in the upper right balcony so maybe it is my position.  But once I was right up front on the floor, and I was very disappointed in the mix as they do not have any center fill speakers and the vocals were not clear at all.

OTOH, the sound at Ram's Head Baltimore is much better  - very crisp and clear and the club space is much more difficult than the 930 I would think.  Don't mean to be negative.  I'm just surprised the 930 doesn't have better sound.  Comments?

Wow, I could not disagree with you more regarding the sound at RHL. Been there for about a dozen shows and EVERY single time I leave having the same discussion about the poor sound quality. Could be just me, I mean I'm no expert or anything.

As for 9:30 (and I guess any bigger room) so much depends on who's mixing. If the house engineer is mixing a show chances are it's going to sound great, but so many bands tour with their own engineers these days that you're more likely to see a show where someone might be mixing that room for the first time ever. I can't imagine having to mix a different room night after night. Most bands have a sound they go for rather than figuring out how best to mix that particular space. I've actually seen shows where the support acts sound better, quality wise, than the headliner because a house engineer is mixing them while the road engineer mixes the headliner.

azaghal1981

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 02:02:02 pm »
I've never been to RHL but have heard similar complaints about the sound there. Someone recently mentioned to me that there's a bar in the back from which  the volume of any given show can be likened to that of the house music before/between bands at the club.
احمد

Got Haggis?

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 02:08:07 pm »
LOL Rams Head Live has better sound than the 930??? I don't think so!  RHL has terrible, terrible sound.  Maybe 2nd only to Sonar in terms of shitty sound.

azaghal1981

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 02:10:56 pm »
Sonar's sound hurts. Both times I saw shows in that shithole, I left in pain. All high end. I haven't been there in a couple years, however.
احمد

Sir HC

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 02:41:55 pm »
Wow, just wow.

Okay, there are pit fills, they are not always used, but look straight up on the truss, you will see two Q's pointing straight down.  Also two balcony fills pointing to the sides on the truss.

The bass muddy?  This new bass system is so much tighter than the old EAWs, with a much more even dispersion.  Harsh?  That is probably whomever was mixing the band, this system is much less harsh than the old 850s were. 

The only negative comment I can say is that it might be "too good" for rock sometimes.

As to RHL sound, it is not great, that balcony really hacks one have of the flown rig, and they had to add those speakers on the stage to fill downstairs in.

Sir HC

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 02:43:43 pm »
Sonar's sound hurts. Both times I saw shows in that shithole, I left in pain. All high end. I haven't been there in a couple years, however.

Which room?  The big one or the "club room".  That club room is a bitch to mix, it is very reverberant and if it is not filled, a wash of sound (only worked there once for a friend's band).  I have only seen DJs in the big room, and it sounded good.  Just saw the Butthole Surfers in the club room, and they had it sounding good (openers not so good).

azaghal1981

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 03:06:00 pm »
The big room.

The last show I saw there was Ween and I left with ringing ears.
احمد

killsaly

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 03:10:24 pm »
I like the sound at Sonar, but I usually wear my 25db earplugs when i go.  As for the 930 club, I have zero complaints about the sound.  However, i always watch shows from the back by the sound booth, and have zero knowledge of the new system up front or in the balcony. 
And RHL is definitely not better, but not too bad.  I dont have complaints about sound in that venue, just the lack of good sight lines.

Sir HC

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 03:40:45 pm »
The big room.

Interesting, their house guy did the last Gomez tour, he was not that loud for them. 

jabella

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 04:26:12 pm »
Interesting comments.  I'll have to try the floor next time -  middle to back of the room, or the back balcony.  I've been to at least a dozen shows at the 930 and about 5 or so shows at RH, and the people I know have agreed with me.  Of course they've been to a lot of the same shows and have been in the same spot as me in most cases.  BTW, I've played in bands for almost 30 years now (started in my early teens), so I do know sound, don't mind it loud, and no - my ears are not shot.

azaghal1981

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 04:43:55 pm »
The first Disco Biscuits show there was the other show I saw there and again, super loud high end  that left me hurting. That one was worse and left a longer lasting effect than the Ween show.
The big room.

Interesting, their house guy did the last Gomez tour, he was not that loud for them. 
احمد

bearman🐻

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 05:55:57 pm »
So much depends on what type of band is playing, how many people are in the club (trust me, sound can be VERY different when a band is playing to 200 people vs. 1200), who is doing sound, etc. etc. etc. I've heard sound at Ram's Head positively shred (Queens of the Stone Age) and I've heard it when it's been pretty lackluster (can't remember off the top of my head). Queens has a soundman named Hutch that knows his stuff. Where you decide to stand can really make a difference too though. I've seen bands where I was in the sweet spot and loved every second and nobody else had a kind thing to say about the sound. You just never know.

If you want to talk about iffy sound, then let's talk DAR, Sonar and the Aragon.