Author Topic: 2009 Hockey Season  (Read 10278 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
2009 Hockey Season
« on: October 01, 2009, 11:28:06 am »
.....finally upon us. 

Sorry to all the Direct TV folks out there who are getting screwed in the Versus fiasco, hopefully it will be resolved soon.

godsshoeshine

Re: 2009 Hockey Season
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 11:40:13 am »
listening to the radio this morning i was thinking 'oh maybe i'll watch a little of the caps game tonight'

nope, on versus

and repeat
o/\o

Driveway

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 12:26:56 pm »
I just re-signed so I can get Comcast Sports Net so I can watch the Detroit game and those following.  I can't justify getting some crazy expensive cable package for VERSUS so that I can see a few games.  I'd love to see Versus burn and force the NHL to put their games on channels that people actually watch.  :'(

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 04:27:05 pm »
I can't justify getting some crazy expensive cable package for VERSUS so that I can see a few games.  I'd love to see Versus burn and force the NHL to put their games on channels that people actually watch. 

ding ding ding

Television providers should not be allowed to own content providers.  Period.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 04:28:11 pm »
Oh, and Venerable suggested that I watch this channel instead of Versus when there's hockey on:

http://stars.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=711&id=47463

Works for me....

27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 04:33:18 pm »
I can't justify getting some crazy expensive cable package for VERSUS so that I can see a few games.  I'd love to see Versus burn and force the NHL to put their games on channels that people actually watch. 

ding ding ding

hmmm, i wonder what you would think of this?
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 04:37:29 pm »

hmmm, i wonder what you would think of this?

Cut back on my synchronized swimming watching?

Actually, Hulu users, of which I am not, should be up in arms about this....
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 04:45:50 pm »
i'm convinced comcast is out to get me
o/\o

Venerable Bede

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 05:02:35 pm »
.....finally upon us. 

Sorry to all the Direct TV folks out there who are getting screwed in the Versus fiasco, hopefully it will be resolved soon.

well, directv is giving users just over 3 weeks of center ice for free, errr, as a free trial.   oct. 1 through oct. 24.
OU812

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 05:10:29 pm »

ding ding ding

Agree 100%.

I love my Fios...not quite the cheapest, no tivo, but I've never ever looked back.

vansmack

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 05:19:19 pm »
i'm convinced comcast is out to get me

It's probably me not you.  There was a decision made years ago when I was still in DC where they asked me to stop calling the customer service center and gave me the direct line to the supervisor on duty.  When I thanked them and asked why, they informed me that it was a staff morale issue (for the record, I don't yell and I don't curse to CSR folks as it's not productive, but apparently I was telling the customer service folks more technology insights than Comcast wanted them to know...).  I would also fix the cable issues myself and call them to explain to them how I did it, which they didn't appreciate as it usually required me to provide my own access to the switch in the building.

Now that I am able to get DirecTV, this is their pay back.
27>34

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 05:21:23 pm »

ding ding ding

You know, this reminds me of that F1 controversy where a team owner told one of his drivers running towards the back to drive his car into a wall to bring out a yellow flag, allowing his other driver to win. Right after this someone on TV said owners should only be allowed to own one car to avoid conflicts of interest, and a team owner (I think Penske) responded: "Well, then enjoy races with only 8 cars in them."

I think the overall benefit of having more networks out there greatly outweighs the negatives of price fights occasionally leaving some people in the cold with reference to a particular network or two.

vansmack

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 05:22:09 pm »
well, directv is giving users just over 3 weeks of center ice for free, errr, as a free trial.   oct. 1 through oct. 24.

Versus games not included of course, but that's waaaaaay more hockey than we were going to get with Versus, and that includes 9 Ducks games that I wasn't going to get so I'm happy.
27>34

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 05:23:22 pm »
I love my Fios...not quite the cheapest, no tivo, but I've never ever looked back.
FIOS with all the movie channels (bundled with the internet) is way cheaper then basic Comcast is here. We have their DVR in one room, and it's really good too. I have no complaints at all.

vansmack

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 05:30:49 pm »
You know, this reminds me of that F1 controversy where a team owner told one of his drivers running towards the back to drive his car into a wall to bring out a yellow flag, allowing his other driver to win. Right after this someone on TV said owners should only be allowed to own one car to avoid conflicts of interest, and a team owner (I think Penske) responded: "Well, then enjoy races with only 8 cars in them."

I think the overall benefit of having more networks out there greatly outweighs the negatives of price fights occasionally leaving some people in the cold with reference to a particular network or two.

Well, I'm not going to get into the in's and out's of this debate here as I'm participating in it on other message boards and frankly I'm tired of it, but in your example, the governing board of F1 stepped in and implemented newer clear rules that imposed fines and bans to keep the competition clean as everyone knew that if comeptition were compromised F1 would lose both integrity and veiwership.  No eyes meant less advertising dollars for the sport, which risked turning F1 into the now relegated to versus IRL (not to mention CART).  Same principles apply here -  a governing body needs to step up as it can no longer be left up to the competitors, especially one with a ruthless track record like Comcast (this same thing happened to Dish 4 years ago and DirecTV is not alone here, there are cable Co's without versus as well...).

For the record I support DirecTV and am willing to let hockey die if need be.  As big a hockey fan as I am, I would never switch to Dish or Comcast just for hockey..
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 05:33:39 pm by vansmack »
27>34