Author Topic: Blueballs Deluxe!  (Read 4355 times)

hutch

Blueballs Deluxe!
« on: October 05, 2009, 07:06:15 pm »
Anyone remember the band Blueballs Deluxe??

They were a duo.. acoustic guitars I want to say.. My memory is hazy..I had just moved to the area.. saw them a few times at the old Asylum in Exile (back when Asylum was on U Street close to where the 930 is now although exact location fades)...

Basically it seems to me that they were playing country punk.. can't remember the name of it.. the kind of music that Hank Williams III has been doing....

Then one day they were no longer around.. I heard one of the dudes killed himself..

I loved seeing these guys live..I even want to say that one time I saw them hanging at the backbar although I don't know that would have been possible... Anyone else catch them or know anything?

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Blueballs Deluxe!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 07:07:13 pm »
From his posts, I'd wager that RustyOrgan has a deluxe case of blueballs. *rimshot*

thirsty moore

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 07:13:59 pm »
I think I may have seen them open up for X a while back?

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 07:24:20 pm »
floyd from blue balls is playing in king giant, and is often in the backbar.  definitely worth checking out if you have the chance.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 07:47:17 pm »
😐 🎶

Sir HC

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 01:03:29 am »
Pretty sure they rolled with a lot of different people in the band.  I think Big Al used to do pedal steel with them on occasion.  I think I saw them a couple times at Fletchers, and it was a full band.  Then again, I get them and some of the other rock-a-billy-ish combos from that period confused.

eddie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 04:50:09 pm »
Clipped from the internet:

BLUE BALLS DELUXE
This month we pay tribute to a band who?s rise was cut prematurely short by the unfortunate passing of it?s unabashed front man. Arlington, VA's BLUE BALLS DELUXE birthed their self-dubbed "whiskey-fueled, guitar-powered honky tonk" sound in the early 90's while playing local beer joints around the DC area. And when they say honky tonk, they mean honky tonk! Gravel-throated lead singer Gene Lee Wilcox could belt out tale after gut-wrenching tale of despair and regret with a veracity that makes you believe he lived through, and continued to relive, every single one. Just listening to a fella who sounds like he developed his unique vocal style by washing down a box of razor blades with a bottle of Jack is enough to put an anxious lump in your throat and force your hands into eager fists. Plain and simple, Gene sang songs about spiteful bitches, drunken rage and certain damnation that drive straight through your chest and rip out your heart. 'Ol Gene wasn?t without company though - Floyd and Kenny Lee's backing on bass and drums, respectively, was the perfect compliment to Gene's raw wailin' and guitar pickin'.

In their short time together BLUE BALLS DELUXE put out two studio recordings, "Cold Blue and Hateful" and "Whiskey, Whores and Overtime", that both showcase the genuine talent of this hard-livin' and hard-workin' band. Pick up a copy or two today and hear for yourself!

BLUE BALLS DELUXE

Gene Lee Wilcox
July 12 1964 - June 26 1998
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 06:37:32 pm by eddie »