Author Topic: *ROLL CALL* THURS 10/8 Dinosaur Jr. w/ Lou Barlow @ 9:30 Club  (Read 17647 times)

azaghal1981

Re: *ROLL CALL* THURS 10/8 Dinosaur Jr. w/ Lou Barlow @ 9:30 Club
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 01:34:04 am »
Excellent set as always. Could've used more YLAOM. And no songs from Beyond? What's up with that? Minor complaints, though.

I found the "whole DC crowds don't move" speech funny because the guy next to me was coincidentally bitching about the same thing right before the show started.
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 07:59:16 am »
sounds . . . like a horrible show.   :D  i would of shaken my coochie coo to a "get me."

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 08:38:43 am »
Partly we seem to have this "YOU show me what YOU can do for ME and I'll see what I do..." attitude....

Well... They're being paid to perform.   Once I buy a ticket,  it's their job to show me what they can do for me.   If I'm not dancing at a show or cheering at a game, it's probably because their music isn't moving me or they're playing like crap.  It you want me to react - step it up and stop whining.  I paid to see them perform - not the other way around.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 09:33:23 am »
Now this is what I call not moving at a show.... This is the Yardbirds with Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHYjq4wZGKo

T.Rex

andyrichter

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 09:37:36 am »
Well I don't know what Lou was trying to say but DC crowds are pretty tame....THere's different reasons for it but when you go to shows in DC the crowd hardly ever really seems into it and seems to have a tough time cutting loose... People just kind of stiffly stand around and gawk..

Of course there are a million exceptions but in general DC is not artists favorite place to play..Partly I think people around here are fairly conservative...Partly we seem to have this "YOU show me what YOU can do for ME and I'll see what I do..." attitude....You also see this attitude on the part of the crowd at Nats games... We're no Cardinals fans I'll say that...

Sometimes I wonder if it has to do with the transient nature of people being in this town... Most 20somethings at shows in DC are not from DC and dont necessarily identify with DC.. They are always going to be Eagles fans or Steeler fans... they stay in town for a while and then seem to move out... In other towns you have more of a sense of community

I love DC by the way but these are things I've noticed in the past 16 years going to shows here.

Agreed.  Haha Lou confirms what DC crowds have always been reluctant to admit.  It's not even about "not moving" or moshing or busting out some James Brown moves.  It's standiing there, arms crossed, totally motionless, not even nodding to the beat, that DC's known for.  I've been to shows in LA, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, etc most everybody is at least in SOME kind of motion.  Now I honestly don't care how you enjoy the show, I'm there to see the band not critique the audience.  But it's definitely an observation I've noticed that's held true time and time again for the past 15 years I've been going to shows in DC. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 09:43:10 am by andyrichter »

fatskippy

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 09:38:36 am »
Hilarious that an artist called out the DC crowd.  Is there a worse city for crowd energy?  I've always said that if you turn around and checkout the crowd at a show, you wouldn't be able to tell from people's reactions alone whether the band is playing yet or not.  Of course the jackasses at 9:30 constantly oversell the place and pack us in, which doesn't exactly help.

bearman🐻

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 09:41:31 am »
I was most definitely moving during some of the songs, especially "I Don't Wanna Go There".  "Get Me" was phenomenal too. I loved the show. Cannot wait for Philly tonight!

bearman🐻

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 09:50:18 am »
Oh, and just wanted to say how much I love my poster. Nice job, El Jefe. I bought the last purple one!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 09:50:21 am »
Ever notice that it's only certain shows that the complaints are made the audience was this, that and the other thing.   Cause I've been at DC shows where the audience was going mental, clearly those complaining aren't going to the correct shows.  :P
T.Rex

Bagley

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 09:51:56 am »
Barlow was a  whiny mess last night during his band's opening set. He wouldn't shut up to the point of being cringingly hard to bear like michael scott in an uncomfortably obnoxious "office" moment....Mascis, on the other hand just shuts up and play his heart out, effortlessly I might add.

RustyOrgan

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2009, 09:57:03 am »
Lou rules.  Fuck DC crowds and DC as a 'city.'

El Jefe Design

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 10:51:47 am »
People able to buy posters okay? I was not able to make it (err....). I love the new album.

Final

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 10:52:36 am »
Absolutely amazing show.

As to the whole "D.C. doesn't move" thing - I see why that might bother Lou or other musicians, I suppose it might be interpreted as the audience not being into the music, but I think it's just a difference in D.C. audience goers' personalities.  I'm there to listen to the music, not dance around and bump into people.  People were moving a lot at Flaming Lips, but honestly it sort of annoyed me because they're all singing the songs with the band, bumping into people, arguing and everything.  Lips was an amazing show, but in a different way - it was more of an entertaining experience I guess, but I could barely hear them amidst the crowd noise.

bearman🐻

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 11:03:42 am »
Let's also look at the demographic of DC folks...most of us have pretty strict 9-6 (or even longer) hours, 5 days (or more) a week. At one point this summer I was working 70 to 90+ hours a week, 3 weeks in a row without a single day off. IF and when I had the energy for a show, chances are I'd just stand there and enjoy the music, but I'd be too tired to even get out the door most days. Sometimes folks just don't have the friggin' energy to keep up in this town.

Plus, let's face it: Dinosaur Jr. audiences are getting older. Back in 1993 you'd see plenty of crowd-surfing and/or moshing and that was the norm. Lack of movement doesn't mean lack of interest. Back when I saw the Pixies at Coachella in 2004 I was expecting full on insanity, instead it was total awe, appreciation and undivided attention. That was pretty cool too. As long as people know how to keep their mouths shut and appreciate the music, I don't care if they move or stand perfectly still. But rest assured when I see Bob Mould tear into "Something I Learned Today" tonight at TLA I'm going to break a good sweat. I won't be able to help that one.