Author Topic: *ROLL CALL* WED 10/14 They Crooked Vultures @ 9:30 Club  (Read 31249 times)

StoneTheCrow

Re: *ROLL CALL* WED 10/14 They Crooked Vultures @ 9:30 Club
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 07:51:04 pm »
Thought more people would be outside selling tix. Very low key outside the club.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 11:21:55 pm »
<sig>

coreycdxx

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 11:36:13 pm »

couldn't of put it better myself. great show!

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 11:39:59 pm »
Needs a little more hair, but otherwise - spot on!

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 11:49:35 pm »
Really enjoyed them.  There was maybe a one song lull in the middle but otherwise I thought it was really good.  More queens-influenced than anything else, I think.  JPJ is such a bad ass.

Had my 1st 930 club cupcake this evening, too.  Pretty tasty.  The folks around me - an older crowd for sure - seemed awfully confused by it.

Mobius

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 12:15:24 am »
yeah, that could have been new queens material . . .but the band is really seamless . . .everyone playing lead together. . . JPJ, Dave and Josh play at FULL STRENGTH off eachother and every song was good . . . contrast to 'sideprojects' like Raconteurs or Velvet Revolver where the big guns play at a diminished capacity and the songs are hit or miss . . . .these guys really seem meant to play together . . . it all fits so naturally   . . .and rocks yer balls off

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:24:25 am by Mobius »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 12:25:03 am »
excellent show.  everyone on stage was a bad-ass, but JPJ gets top billing in that department.  was that a 10-string bass he was playing at one point?!?  and that slide guitar thingy (almost looked more like a Stick held horizonatlly) with a built-in kaoss pad that he used during "nobody loves me" was awesome.

set list (which i could see from my spot in front of the soundboard) was virtually identical to the austin show.  highlight was "warsaw", the last song they played.  that main riff was HUGE.  unfortunately towards the end of the song it digressed into pointless guitar wankery.  i though "interlude with ludes", the weird number that had JPJ on the keytar, was the low point of the show.  the missus said it was her favorite number of the night, so there ya go.

i wasn't a huge fan of the mix, for the most part.  i thought drums and vocals were a little too loud, guitars just a tad low, and the bass wasn't really cutting through clearly.  the first time JPJ sat down to play keys he was way low in the mix.  i kept looking over to the sound tech, and eventually during a lull in the other parts he noticed and fixed it. 

it got really hot down on the floor, and that was about as packed as i've ever seen the club.
<sig>

Mobius

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 12:39:21 am »
highlight was "warsaw", the last song they played.  that main riff was HUGE.  unfortunately towards the end of the song it digressed into pointless guitar wankery. 

that guitar wankery at the end of the last song was one of the highlights of the night for me, b/c the guitar was playing of the huge bass riff and grohl was locked in too . . . i thought they were all ln the zone together on that last jam

nkotb

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 08:13:06 am »
Pretty enjoyable show, I'd say.  I'm generally a grump when catching bands play mostly material I haven't heard, but I never really got bored, except maybe the keytar song.  From my spot, I could only really see JPJ, but then again, he was the only guy I haven't see live before, so that was ok.

That second song they played was a rager, but a lot of the material sounded a bit too "generic rock" for me.  Doubt I'd get too psyched on the album, but it was a fun show.  Agreed with everyone saying it sounded like Queens outtakes...maybe that's why I wasn't too into a lot of the songs.  Didn't mind that last jam, though...those guys were really going at it.

All in all, for a sheer vanity project, they were surprisingly tempered.  Having no encore was a good call, IMO.

azaghal1981

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 08:32:14 am »
Encores need to be abolished as a whole.

Stupidest rock show tradition ever.

Agreed on the "great show" sentiments. And I doubt anybody was more skeptical than I was going in.

That last jam didn't sound like wankery to me, either. It was very tight and they all did sound locked in. Very tasteful as far as improv goes.

احمد

hemisphire

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 08:59:41 am »
This was my third time seeing 'em, plus I've spent the last couple of days blasting the Stubb's show in my car.  This show was my favorite of the three, combination of the small venue and knowing the songs pretty well by this point.  I think Dave and JPJ may be one of the most ferocious rhythm sections ever.

wml7

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 09:49:01 am »
Pretty good show.  The place was jam packed.  I didn't bring my camera because I thought the no camera policy would be strictly enforced.  So when TCV came on everyone and their mothers had a camera.  Taking pics and videos left and right.  I just now noticed the policy was changed later that night.  Great, just great.  Overall it was a great show and they sounded great.  Didn't notice anyone with a cat t shirt  ;D

xcanuck

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 10:21:31 am »
Very good show. Totally agree with whoever said it could be new QOTSA material. There was some stuff where the songwriting was slightly "amateurish" - it sounded like prog rock written by very technically competent high schoolers. But those songs were in the minority. Overall, an incredibly tight show by some of the most talented musicians in the industry. And it may have been THE best drumming I've ever heard from Grohl.

RustyOrgan

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 10:21:42 am »
Awesome show!!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 11:11:13 am »
a short video:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:08:43 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>