Author Topic: *ROLL CALL* SAT 10/17 Built To Spill @ 9:30 Club  (Read 6729 times)

James Ford

Re: *ROLL CALL* SAT 10/17 Built To Spill @ 9:30 Club
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 09:48:20 am »
Since when have fratboys been into this band, BTW?

I was surrounded by them and wished I had a hatchet in hand a couple times.

I'ts weird how you guys can spot fratboys. I don't think I've ever seen anybody at a show wearing Greek letters.

This is a band that I'd like to like, but just don't. Maybe if I was a fratboy.

azaghal1981

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 11:01:38 am »
It's weird how your "humor" is still as lame as it was when you were Charlie/Rhett. Oh wait no it's not. Like El Tee just pointed out, some things never change.
احمد

James Ford

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 12:01:57 pm »
It's weird how your "humor" is still as lame as it was when you were Charlie/Rhett. Oh wait no it's not. Like El Tee just pointed out, some things never change.

It's weird how you can steretotype someone as a "fratboy" without knowing anything about them. Is it that you're observing their behavior, and calling them "fratboys", because they conform to your personal stereotype of what a fratboy is?

Were you/are you in a ftraternity yourself? How come you seem to know so much about them? Do tell!!!

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 02:23:33 pm »
"The Plan" was a huge surprise....

Hope your joking.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 02:23:58 pm »
They didn't play Else, also.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 02:27:17 pm »
yeah, my mistake. The Plan... I have not heard played live in 3 years, so that was a surprise to me.

(_|_)

nkotb

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 02:33:19 pm »
Was the last time you saw them 3 years ago?  Becuase that doesn't really make it rare if they've played it the last two times you've seen them.  I can't remember the last show prior to Pitchfork this year, but they seem to play it every tour since that album, more or less.

yeah, my mistake. The Plan... I have not heard played live in 3 years, so that was a surprise to me.

wml7

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 02:48:13 pm »
http://bts.23.com/  This is pretty good with showing Built To Spill setlist's.   ;D

Vas Deferens

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 02:50:59 pm »
no, Siren Fest '09, Sept '08, and Oct 10, 2006 were my last BTS shows. I'm looking at the setlists for those three shows and The Plan was not played.

They had another show on Oct 9, 2006 (maybe they played it then)? anyway, so it's been more than 3 years since I heard it played...

Was the last time you saw them 3 years ago?  Becuase that doesn't really make it rare if they've played it the last two times you've seen them.  I can't remember the last show prior to Pitchfork this year, but they seem to play it every tour since that album, more or less.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 02:55:18 pm by Hello Sunshine M! »
(_|_)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 03:01:37 pm »
ok, they played it on the first night, Oct. 9, 2006 per this article:

---------
Built to Spill's Tasty Jam

Washington Post, Wednesday, October 11, 2006; 

Built to Spill singer-guitarist Doug Martsch makes no attempt to look like a rock star. He's bald on top of his head with a middle-management bowlcut falling over his ears. His scraggily beard makes him look like a mountain man, and his beer belly looks especially doughy under his too-tight T-shirts.

All of that mattered for naught on Monday when Martsch and Co. performed the first of two nights at 9:30 club. The five-piece band played 110 minutes for a loving crowd who could have cared less if Built to Spill's leader looks like he just fell off a tractor.

Martsch's unassuming nature carried over to his performance, which mostly featured him standing in place and shaking his right leg like a fleshy tambourine. His high, nasal, Neil Young-like voice cut through the three-guitar attack, and Built to Spill's Crazy Horse-like jams gave Martsch a chance to show off his solo skills. But songs like "Untrustable/Part 2 (About Someone Else)," where Martsch had to fetch a new guitar as the band vamped, dragged on too long, with the group going for noisy effects over improvisational inspiration. Martsch is a very good pop songwriter, however, with tunes like "The Plan" and "Carry the Zero" having great core melodies and riffs; overextending the songs would have weakened them.

But the longer numbers did give Martsch time to tinker with Built to Spill's DIY stage "design." A too-small screen was suspended high above the band, and Martsch would occasionally stop playing to operate a device that projected psychedelic drawings and YouTube-worthy videos of wacky felines frolicking. It felt like a low-budget, indie-rock version of Spinal Tap's miniature Stonehenge. --Christopher Porter
(_|_)

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 03:49:32 pm »

It's weird how you can steretotype someone as a "fratboy" without knowing anything about them. Is it that you're observing their behavior, and calling them "fratboys", because they conform to your personal stereotype of what a fratboy is?

Were you/are you in a ftraternity yourself? How come you seem to know so much about them? Do tell!!!

That must be their generic way of saying "They were wearing a baseball cap, flip flops and cargo shorts" which is about as accurate as saying "Look at that chinese person" when refering to anyone asian.
3MTA3

James Ford

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 04:03:50 pm »

That must be their generic way of saying "They were wearing a baseball cap, flip flops and cargo shorts" which is about as accurate as saying "Look at that chinese person" when refering to anyone asian.

I think "idiot" would be the more apt term if they were wearing those things late Saturday night.