Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3222772 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #10980 on: March 24, 2022, 04:42:35 pm »
I convinced my wife to take last Friday off and go hking with me. Little Devil's Stairs in Rappahannock County.

Afterwards, we stopped at a winery. View was nice, wine was mediocre. Hey Walky, what at the best wineries in RC?

Then we did a slight detour and stopped at Juicy Brewing, in the original Aslin location. My second time, her first. They seem to be getting a bunch of 4.5 untappd ratings for their smoothie sours, but the smoothie sours were sold out (again.) I had a half pour of the schwarzbier (good), she had a half pour of the 6% hazy (excellent.) The IPA was so good (the best single IPA hazy I've had locally in a long time), she made me pay $14 for a crowler of it. WE're splitting it with dinner tonight. Then we stopped at Whole Foods, where they had old favorite Parabola (small pour, and MBC Lunch for her) on draft.

Saturday night, the whole family went into DC to check out the Roost. I had an Other Half pilsner, she had an OH DIPA, then I had a 4 oz pour of an OH pastry. Fun place, though it was hard to hear table conversation due to the loud group of black women and children sitting adjacent to us, and someone's dog which kept howling at a nearby table. My daughter said she prefers the Union Market vibe over this place....which I'm cool with because, you can go to Other Half first, and bring your own cans to UM.

And now I have to figure out how to lose the five pounds I've gained in the last month. More hiking, less drinking I guess.

GAY,GUY

« Reply #10981 on: March 24, 2022, 05:47:54 pm »
Little Devil Stairs is the bomb!!

For wineries in Rapp county

Quièvremont Winery

Chester Gap Vineyard

Rappahannock Cellars

The best is in southern Warren County,  which is Glenn Manor.

Cheers!

Space Freely

« Reply #10982 on: March 24, 2022, 09:09:39 pm »
Little Devil Stairs is the bomb!!

For wineries in Rapp county

Quièvremont Winery

Chester Gap Vineyard

Rappahannock Cellars

The best is in southern Warren County,  which is Glenn Manor.

Cheers!

Thanks! Quievremont is the one we went to.

GAY,GUY

« Reply #10983 on: March 24, 2022, 10:10:51 pm »
Weird.  I've heard nothing, but good reviews about the winery you went to.  Oh well.  I normally don't go to wineries, for I usually don't like anyone that, is there.

But it's better than breweries nowadays; motherfuckers having kid's birthday parties there, with all the dogs you wanna punch.

« Reply #10984 on: March 25, 2022, 07:10:35 am »
That nighthawk pizza looks great and very close to me
https://www.washingtonian.com/2022/03/24/a-massive-brewpub-and-pizza-garden-with-90s-vibes-opens-in-arlington/

https://www.nighthawkpizza.com/menus/drinks

I’m especially glad they have a dark mild on tap, can’t wait to go. Grand opening was last night
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #10985 on: March 25, 2022, 07:24:35 am »
Weird.  I've heard nothing, but good reviews about the winery you went to.  Oh well.  I normally don't go to wineries, for I usually don't like anyone that, is there.

But it's better than breweries nowadays; motherfuckers having kid's birthday parties there, with all the dogs you wanna punch.

Now you're going to make me feel bad for criticizing them. The setting was lovely, the woman pouring the wine was super nice. Maybe the wine just wasn't our style. My wife noted that the wine taste "young." I think we prefer our reds to be more tannic and with more age. Cabernet Sauvignon is our favorite, and their reds were too delicate and mild in comparison.

Given that it was 2pm on a Friday, no surprise that many of the patrons were octagenarians. Interesting that they prefererred to all sit inside clumped together unmasked on a beautiful 73 degree day, whereas all the younger people were sitting outside, spread out, on the patio.

No kids seen at Juicy at 4:30 on a Friday.

Space Freely

« Reply #10986 on: March 25, 2022, 08:00:33 am »
That nighthawk pizza looks great and very close to me
https://www.washingtonian.com/2022/03/24/a-massive-brewpub-and-pizza-garden-with-90s-vibes-opens-in-arlington/

https://www.nighthawkpizza.com/menus/drinks

I’m especially glad they have a dark mild on tap, can’t wait to go. Grand opening was last night

So the beer is by Aslin, but the food is by someone else completely?

On a side note, anybody have as opinion on the food at the Aslin Alexandria location?

« Reply #10987 on: March 25, 2022, 10:05:08 am »
On a side note, anybody have as opinion on the food at the Aslin Alexandria location?
the vending machine at Alexandria Carpet One Floor & Home is off the hook!

the good and bad of breweries in industrial park settings
in the past they had food trucks on the regular, maybe that will start again
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #10988 on: March 25, 2022, 10:30:17 am »
the vending machine at Alexandria Carpet One Floor & Home is off the hook!

the good and bad of breweries in industrial park settings
in the past they had food trucks on the regular, maybe that will start again

No, they actually appear to have an in house kichen there.
Confession: We were thinking of going there for a long Friday lunch today. Haven't been to Aslin since pre-pandemic.

https://www.aslinbeer.com/_files/ugd/db95ba_49514e4392744b3da393d985a1b75815.pdf

« Reply #10989 on: March 25, 2022, 01:59:02 pm »
Oh yeah, forgot about that.  I think I got the Brussel sprouts once

I still thought my vending machine comment is spot on though
slack

« Reply #10990 on: March 27, 2022, 08:42:38 am »

It’s gotten so bad that Hardywood down in Richmond made a big deal announcing they’re gonna have a “21 and over only area”
At a bar!?!?

https://www.facebook.com/146711868721673/posts/5093648850694592/?d=n

We are excited for warmer weather and plenty of patio time in the days ahead. Hardywood always welcomes families of all kinds to enjoy our facilities, but we know some folks enjoy space away from kids as well, so we’ve created a 21+ area at our West Creek location. This new fenced spot is a great place to enjoy a beer, something delicious from a food truck, and relax!

Nice, gonna fence in ‘the olds’
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 08:45:14 am by Jackassery-Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #10991 on: March 27, 2022, 10:28:38 am »
Hardywood’s West Creek location is every bit as much a food truck location/music venue as it is a brewery.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #10992 on: March 27, 2022, 11:17:51 am »
Hardywood’s West Creek location is every bit as much a food truck location/music venue as it is a brewery.

Are you in favour of a 21+ zone?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #10993 on: March 27, 2022, 11:27:26 am »

Are you in favour of a 21+ zone?
I have no strong feel as I’d never drive out to that side of town to go to Hardywood unless they had an insane concert. It’s like forty minutes from me.

Sure, 21+ section. Why not.
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #10994 on: March 27, 2022, 01:30:33 pm »
What are some reasonably good cheap beers for pounding back?

Tecate served me well but I need something different