Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181216 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2520 on: May 02, 2013, 11:01:42 am »
Already beat you to the story. Check two posts prior.

The amount of beer ignorance shown in 95% of the comments is unbelievable. Probably ten time as much ignorance out their regarding beer as there is pretentiousness regarding it.*

*No mathematical computation went into that statement, so take it with a grain of hops and a pint of ale.

US Craft Brew invades Germany

?I have worked in pubs all my life, but never has anybody asked for an American beer,? said Uwe Helmenstein, 52, a barkeeper in the middle-class neighborhood of Friedenau.

?I don?t think it would work here,? he said, because perceptions run strong that American beers are flavorless and thin.

But with small-scale breweries springing up around Germany?s cities, many of them creating beers that emulate American craft-beer styles, the seeds of a broader shift may have been planted, some advocates say.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/in-germany-a-us-beer-invasion/2013/04/30/0d03f6e6-adf3-11e2-8bf6-e70cb6ae066e_story.html?

James Ford

« Reply #2521 on: May 02, 2013, 11:03:20 am »
Who is "we"? Some place called chixndonuts?

They tapped that one at Whole Foods in Fairfax a couple of weeks ago but we missed it. Had it in the bottle...very good, if a bit overpriced.

‏@GBDchixndonuts 5m

We're tapping @mainebeerco Lunch IPA TONIGHT! Don't miss out on one of the best IPAs in the USA...will go fast!

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2522 on: May 02, 2013, 11:12:53 am »
Already beat you to the story. Check two posts prior.

Ahhhh shiznit.  Well, great minds or sumpin'

stevewizzle

« Reply #2523 on: May 02, 2013, 11:23:15 am »
Who is "we"? Some place called chixndonuts?

They tapped that one at Whole Foods in Fairfax a couple of weeks ago but we missed it. Had it in the bottle...very good, if a bit overpriced.

‏@GBDchixndonuts 5m

We're tapping @mainebeerco Lunch IPA TONIGHT! Don't miss out on one of the best IPAs in the USA...will go fast!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%40GBDchixndonuts

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2524 on: May 02, 2013, 11:53:25 am »
i was going to ask the same question as Ford... glad he took the LMGTFY bullet :)

i was thinking of having a quick beer on the way home tonight, and the original plan was to hit up PP since they appear to still have BFM Abbaye de St. Bon Chien and Harviestoun Ola Dubh... and now i have to pile on Lunch?!? 

yes, that's right, i "have" to.
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #2525 on: May 02, 2013, 12:11:36 pm »
i snagged a BFM last night.  good stuff, but maybe too much vinegar.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2526 on: May 02, 2013, 01:02:33 pm »
really?  i had it last friday and while sour i didn't get too much vinegar (and acetic acid, aka vinegar, is what i hate in sour beers).  admittedly the BFM came after 3 glasses of strong stuff, including the Ola Dubh, so who knows how shot my palette was at that point.

interesting that you detected too much vinegar.  you've enjoyed beers in the past that were borderline too acetic for me...

further reason to investigate tonight :)

<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2527 on: May 02, 2013, 02:22:03 pm »
My wife and I split two Enjoy By's, one Ola Dubh, and one Palo Santo at PP Old Town last night.

After two nights of Pizza Paradiso, i'm ready to go back to drinking just six ounces with my dinner at home....at least until my birthday next week.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #2528 on: May 02, 2013, 03:21:13 pm »
Cracked open a Southern Tier Creme Brulee last night that I aged for a little over a year. The vanilla was incredibly overpowering, especially aroma-wise while I was drinking it out of a snifter. Was not a big fan suffice to say.

Just picked up a bottle of Firestone Double Jack since we've been splitting stouts the last few nights. I would have bought more Enjoy By but Village Pump was sold out.  >:(

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2529 on: May 02, 2013, 06:40:20 pm »
that is so funny . . . the owner of a neat country beer supplier store like thing in my area, and i got into it about the fact there are too many stupid fucking flavours (yes i put a fucking "u" in it) in beers now, where then he told the story of how southern tier creme brulee was a brilliant example of why it works.  i told him that he hates ipas, because that is the new thing to do, and wont admit it.

Sieve-Fisted

« Reply #2530 on: May 03, 2013, 07:54:56 am »
Gilly's in Rockville just tapped a keg of Stone's "Enjoy By 5/17/13". 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2531 on: May 03, 2013, 03:09:44 pm »
big beer night last night.  started off at GBD where i had Lunch.  solid IPA, nice firm bitterness but a tad weak on the aroma.  at $9 a glass i tried offsetting that extravagance with the happy hour special, Bise Noire Menthe - a mint stout.  it was not impressive.  mouthfeel was watery, mint tasted artificial, yuck.  i then sauntered over to Pizza Paradiso to have another crack at the Ola Duhb and the BFM.  gawd those are great beers.  stevewizzle, the BFM is not too acetic.

later that evening my brewing buddy picked me up and we went to:

Gilly's in Rockville just tapped a keg of Stone's "Enjoy By 5/17/13". 

i like this the Enjoy By more than the last one i had (i believe it was 3/17, something like that).  had 2 of those, then went back to my place to have a Rampant IPA (too sweet, avoid) since we talked about it at gilly's, and we shared one of my 09.09.09 clones.

not sure which i prefer between the lunch and the enjoy by... probably the enjoy by, but both are excellent.

12 oz bottles of Ola Duhb were $14 at gilly's!

my alcoholism is really showing these days.

phsaw.
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #2532 on: May 03, 2013, 03:35:27 pm »
i missed the lunch, traffic was terrible and didn't make it.  but $9 is a lot, and ended up buying a 4-pack of hoptimum for $10, and a bottle of bcbs to age instead.

re: bfm. maybe i had a funny glass or pour.  something was there making it less enjoyable.

Yada

« Reply #2533 on: May 03, 2013, 03:49:06 pm »
i missed the lunch, traffic was terrible and didn't make it.  but $9 is a lot, and ended up buying a 4-pack of hoptimum for $10, and a bottle of bcbs to age instead.

re: bfm. maybe i had a funny glass or pour.  something was there making it less enjoyable.

I find Hoptimum basically undrinkable.

James Ford

« Reply #2534 on: May 03, 2013, 04:47:14 pm »
Too bitter? Too harsh?

I find 120 Mins too harsh, but I like Hoptimum for what it is.

I find Hoptimum basically undrinkable.