Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3222422 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5700 on: August 19, 2015, 02:58:57 pm »
It's crazy Rhett, it's almost like people enjoy different quantities of different things, like there's not one specific magical number that constitutes the quantity you should have of every possible thing.

I hear you can fill your e-cig 20 times and its like you've only had one cigarette!
I had 10 baby carrots earlier as a snack, and I am not looking forward to having to eat 10 veggie burgers for dinner. :(
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #5701 on: August 19, 2015, 03:32:36 pm »
It's crazy Rhett, it's almost like people enjoy different quantities of different things, like there's not one specific magical number that constitutes the quantity you should have of every possible thing.

So now you're defending how much "fatties" eat?

You've turned a new leaf.

« Reply #5702 on: August 19, 2015, 03:37:26 pm »
I was unaware either Yada or Jaded are "fatties".
LVMH

« Reply #5703 on: August 19, 2015, 03:43:28 pm »
I know for a fact that to Yada, 'fatties' means something entirely different...fregin hippy
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #5704 on: August 19, 2015, 03:44:48 pm »

Six 5% pale ales are about 900 calories.

Six 7% IPA's are about 1260 calories.

Regardless of whether they are "fatties", that doesn't seem like an effective nutritional intake. Drink like that, and eventually you'll be an "unhealthy" and most probably a "fattie". Am I missing something?

Space Freely

« Reply #5706 on: August 19, 2015, 04:00:21 pm »
Drink a 6-Pack a Day & Still Get Six Pack Abs

I can google too.

A Six-pack A Day Is A Formula For Cirrhosis

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2000-09-18/lifestyle/0009180364_1_cirrhosis-lupus-six-pack

Putting all of the above aside, consider the liver. A man who drinks six to eight 12-ounce cans of beer every day on a regular basis can almost count on developing liver cirrhosis within 10 to 15 years. Cirrhosis is a scarred, nonfunctioning liver that bestows a most unpleasant life and an early, gruesome death.

« Reply #5707 on: August 19, 2015, 04:05:10 pm »
Six 5% pale ales are about 900 calories.

Six 7% IPA's are about 1260 calories.

Regardless of whether they are "fatties", that doesn't seem like an effective nutritional intake. Drink like that, and eventually you'll be an "unhealthy" and most probably a "fattie". Am I missing something?
It's not how I would choose to use my calories, but it's not out of the range of possibility of someone doing this, I don't know, once a week or something like that. Say your TDEE is ~2,400 calories and you only take in 2,200 calories a day Sunday thru Friday. Your splurging on 1200 calories of beer on Saturday is, from a purely caloric viewpoint, mitigated by the modest daily caloric deficit you ran all week.
LVMH

« Reply #5708 on: August 19, 2015, 04:06:33 pm »
Putting all of the above aside, consider the liver. A man who drinks six to eight 12-ounce cans of beer every day on a regular basis can almost count on developing liver cirrhosis within 10 to 15 years. Cirrhosis is a scarred, nonfunctioning liver that bestows a most unpleasant life and an early, gruesome death.
That's a completely different issue, albeit a valid one. I think you're willfully conflating "drinking a six-pack of beer" and "drinking a six-pack of beer every day on a regular basis" though.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #5709 on: August 19, 2015, 04:21:50 pm »
That's a completely different issue, albeit a valid one. I think you're willfully conflating "drinking a six-pack of beer" and "drinking a six-pack of beer every day on a regular basis" though.

Yes, I get that a six-pack every day is different than binge drinking. Still, binge-drinking isn't exactly healthy living either.

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-drink/binge-drinking-warning-signs

« Reply #5710 on: August 19, 2015, 04:22:44 pm »
so starting at 2 PM and ending at 10PM one consumes a six pack...is that a binge?
slack

« Reply #5711 on: August 19, 2015, 04:29:31 pm »
so starting at 2 PM and ending at 10PM one consumes a six pack...is that a binge?
From the binge drinking wiki with multiple cited sources:

There is currently no worldwide consensus on how many drinks constitute a "binge", but in the United States, the term is often taken to mean consuming five or more standard drinks (male), or four or more drinks (female), over a 2-hour period.

If you kill a sixer in an hour, yeah, that's probably binge drinking, but a six pack over an afternoon/evening really isn't, in my mind.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #5712 on: August 19, 2015, 04:53:47 pm »
Pfft.  I burn 3,000 calories before 9am every Saturday.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #5713 on: August 20, 2015, 12:00:46 pm »
The [DC-Beer] listserv is all on fire about where to get cucumber beer.  Is this for real, or is it like asparagus water?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5714 on: August 20, 2015, 01:02:14 pm »
cucumber beer is a real thing: i've seen cucumber saison, cucumber gose, cucumber berliner wiesse... i don't believe i've tasted any, tho.
<sig>