Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3223186 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #8505 on: October 27, 2017, 04:20:31 pm »
I don't know of this sovereign of which you speak, but why can't you ever just order what you want?

Just wondering if you can go there on a Saturday night and drink at a bar area without having dinner reservations.

Yada

« Reply #8506 on: October 27, 2017, 04:48:34 pm »
More of a bar question than a beer question...Does the Sovereign have a bar area where you can just drink beer and not order food?

yes

« Reply #8507 on: October 27, 2017, 04:59:46 pm »
I don't know of this sovereign of which you speak, but why can't you ever just order what you want?

Just wondering if you can go there on a Saturday night and drink at a bar area without having dinner reservations.
yes you can, I think they have two bars, but the one upstairs is where I'd go
prices are not space friendly tho
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #8508 on: October 27, 2017, 05:08:32 pm »

Saturday night is date night and money is no object when I'm out with my sweetie.

That, plus they're offering all Jolly Pumpkin bottles for half price on Saturday.

Yada

« Reply #8509 on: October 27, 2017, 05:21:05 pm »

Saturday night is date night and money is no object when I'm out with my sweetie.

That, plus they're offering all Jolly Pumpkin bottles for half price on Saturday.

« Reply #8510 on: October 27, 2017, 10:14:04 pm »
The good news is Lagunitas Born Yesterday is great again this year. Best mass produced hoppy beer on the market.
agreed.  great stuff
Picked up a sixer tonight and am a satisfied customer

am not a cider fan, but had this tonight and have come full circle, this is damn good

slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8511 on: October 29, 2017, 05:03:05 pm »
am not a cider fan, but had this tonight and have come full circle, this is damn good

to be fair that's a wild cider, meaning it was fermented with only the wild yeast and bacteria on the apples.  it's a different beast than "regular" cider, where they use domesticated yeast from a lab.  it's like comparing regular beer and lambic - sure, they're both technically beer, but it's not hard to see how one might only like one and not the other...
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #8512 on: October 30, 2017, 08:28:37 am »

We ended up going to the Ocelot Halloween bash, following a nice Indian dinner. Guest South Carolina breweries Edmunds Oast (Charleston),  Charles Town Fermentory (Charleston), and Birds Fly South (Greenville), along with a couple others we didn't try. All beers were excellent.

And I managed to make it through watching/listening to 30 minutes (so about half a song) by the Phish cover band. My wife liked it though.

Yada

« Reply #8513 on: October 30, 2017, 09:37:41 am »
Sounds like you pulled out all of the stops this weekend, Space. Good on you!

« Reply #8514 on: October 30, 2017, 11:26:16 am »
to be fair that's a wild cider, meaning it was fermented with only the wild yeast and bacteria on the apples.  it's a different beast than "regular" cider, where they use domesticated yeast from a lab.  it's like comparing regular beer and lambic - sure, they're both technically beer, but it's not hard to see how one might only like one and not the other...
you speak the truth Mr Beer
I do highly recommend people try this wild cider as I thought it was delicious
same company has a colab with Aslin, but that wasn't really that great
slack

« Reply #8515 on: October 30, 2017, 04:22:27 pm »
This was really good last year....spent most of my time at The Veil and Answer tables
but Penn Druid, Aslin, Commonwealth and Ocelot will likely be sampled too

IMO best VA beer fest ...please correct me if I'm wrong
(well I think one of the few beer fests that I can ride my bike too)

NOVEMBERFEST 2017
Rustico Restaurant, Alexandria VA
Saturday, November 4 From Noon to 5

Alewerks Brewing Co. (Williamsburg)
Ardent Craft Ales (Richmond)
Aslin Beer Co. (Herndon)
Black Narrows Brewing Co. (Chincoteague Island)
Blue Bee Cider (Richmond)
Brothers Craft Brewing (Harrisonburg)
Commonwealth Brewing Co. (Virginia Beach)
Final Gravity Brewing Co. (Richmond)
Hardywood Park Craft Brewery (Richmond)
Lickinghole Creek Craft Brewery (Goochland)
Lost Rhino Brewing Co. (Ashburn)
Mad Fox Brewing Co. (Falls Church)
Mustang Sally Brewing Co. (Chantilly)
Ocelot Brewing Co. (Dulles)
Old Ox Brewery (Ashburn)
Pen Druid Brewing (Sperryville)
Port City Brewing Co. (Alexandria)
Potter’s Craft Cider (Charlottesville)
Reason Beer (Charlottesville)
The Answer Brewpub (Richmond)
The Veil Brewing Co. (Richmond)
Three Notch’d Brewing Co. (Charlottesville)
Triple Crossing Brewing Co. (Richmond)
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #8516 on: October 31, 2017, 02:21:14 pm »
I can't find Yada's initial post about this so I'll just post this. Disappointing that it's not going to be in four packs.

It's official.

[​IMG]

CBS was born when we stumbled upon some bourbon barrels that had previously housed maple syrup. We opted to put the same base beer as KBS, an imperialized version of Breakfast Stout, in the maple barrels and, after one taste, we knew we had something special. Rich maple syrup, roasted coffee and velvety chocolate meld together in what can only be described as a transcendental drinking experience.

Last bottled in 2011, CBS has become one of the most highly sought-after beers in the world and for good reason. It’s damn good. You all have been very vocal in petitioning for its return and it would’ve been cruel for us to hold out any longer in delivering on that.

CBS will be available everywhere, including our Grand Rapids taproom, on draft and in 750mL bottles beginning on December 1. It will have a suggested retail price of $24.99 a bottle.

Similar to our annual release of KBS, CBS will be released via an online ticket sale. More info, including its availability at our soon-to-be-open Detroit taproom, coming in the public announcement next week!

Yada

« Reply #8517 on: October 31, 2017, 03:57:39 pm »
I can't find Yada's initial post about this so I'll just post this. Disappointing that it's not going to be in four packs.

It's official.

[​IMG]

CBS was born when we stumbled upon some bourbon barrels that had previously housed maple syrup. We opted to put the same base beer as KBS, an imperialized version of Breakfast Stout, in the maple barrels and, after one taste, we knew we had something special. Rich maple syrup, roasted coffee and velvety chocolate meld together in what can only be described as a transcendental drinking experience.

Last bottled in 2011, CBS has become one of the most highly sought-after beers in the world and for good reason. It’s damn good. You all have been very vocal in petitioning for its return and it would’ve been cruel for us to hold out any longer in delivering on that.

CBS will be available everywhere, including our Grand Rapids taproom, on draft and in 750mL bottles beginning on December 1. It will have a suggested retail price of $24.99 a bottle.

Similar to our annual release of KBS, CBS will be released via an online ticket sale. More info, including its availability at our soon-to-be-open Detroit taproom, coming in the public announcement next week!

not very space friendly in terms of pricing.

Space Freely

« Reply #8518 on: October 31, 2017, 04:04:22 pm »

It's official.

[​IMG]

not very space friendly in terms of pricing.

or size, I much prefer the 12 oz format for those high abv beers

Yada

« Reply #8519 on: November 02, 2017, 08:42:14 am »
I'm assuming Space doesn't have cable, but if he did, I wonder how he felt about those beer commercials last night during the world series?