Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3217384 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #8655 on: February 20, 2018, 11:51:30 am »
looks like I'm headed to Portland next week

ME or OR?

Work related trip to OR. Tacking on an extra self day to drive to the coast.

Tentative beer related stops, time permitting:

Great Notion
Upright
Cascade
Hair of the Dog
de Garde
Pelican
maybe Laurelwood at PDX ariport if I'm hungry/thirsty after being on two planes
Apex
Beer Mongers

Any must hit places I'm missing? Any food recommendations (that may or may not also have good beer?)

Trip report:

I was in Oregon for five days, and didn't have a single West Coast IPA. Thanks Aslin, Veil, etc for completely changing my beer taste.

Great Notion-excellent beers (hazy IPA's, stouts, sours) and food, though I couldn't finish my second flight due to a full stomach

Upright-fun basement space in nondescript building, beers very good

Cascade-love, love, love their sours, Sang Noir paired with the cherry chocolate bread pudding was divine.

Hair of the Dog- only stopped in for free samples as part of the Zwicklemania Festival, can't complain about free though their malty, high abv beers are becoming less and less my thing.

de Garde- I brave driving over mountains through a snowstorm driving a tiny Hyundai Accent to get to the coast, and the beer at de Garde (and ice cream at Tillamook) almost made up for it.

Pelican-didn't make it there

maybe Laurelwood at PDX airport if I'm hungry/thirsty after being on two planes-didn't even see it

Apex-walked in and walked out, didn't like the vibe, even passed up on having a Pliny on draft

Beer Mongers-had a good Crooked Stave sour while watching the NBA three point contest

Modern Times-didn't even know it existed before going on trip. The Modem Tones Bourbon Vanilla Stout ranked as one of my all time favorite stouts. Excellent hazy IPA's a  good Berliner too. And their small all-vegan menu was a nice fuck you to all of the meat-centric brewpubs out there.

Baerlic-I was walking to Apex and Beermongers, and saw this place...decent beer, boring atmosphere

Space Freely

« Reply #8656 on: February 20, 2018, 03:16:27 pm »
So I walked into Whole Foods in Portland and checked out their beer selection and noticed some Russian River sours. As soon as I load the first one into my basket, a girl worker comes out of the break room nearby and goes "Woah, that's a good one!:

Then I go to checking out and the checkout boy (actually he was about my age, so more of a checkout man) comments on the Russian River beers "Looks like they're trying to give PFriem a run for their money."

I ask "What do you mean."

He replies, "The bottles (small, caged and corked), looks like they're copying Pfriem."

I reply, "Uh yeah, or maybe vice versa."

Then the guy behind me asks, "What Russian River beers are those?

And I reply "Oh I grabbed a couple of their sours."

And he goes "When did Russian River start making sours?"

And then it was a palm to my forehead.

hutch

« Reply #8657 on: February 20, 2018, 04:22:14 pm »
Are there any good Mexican beers??

Space Freely

« Reply #8658 on: February 20, 2018, 04:29:24 pm »
Are there any good Mexican beers??

Stone Xocoveza and Aslin Mexican Hot Chocolate.

It looks like there are a few actually made in Mexico. Good luck at getting any of them.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/mx/

hutch

« Reply #8659 on: February 20, 2018, 04:30:58 pm »
But I mean in the Mexican style...light summer beers

Space Freely

« Reply #8660 on: February 20, 2018, 04:41:58 pm »

Are you specifically looking for imports, or American craft beer versions of Mexican lagers?

Try this article. I think I've seen the Oskar Blues and Flying Dog beers but never tried them.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/foodfocus/ct-mexican-beer-rise-food-0426-20170421-story.html

Yada

« Reply #8661 on: February 20, 2018, 05:10:28 pm »

I love Tecate, Pacifco, Modelo, and Corona in a pinch.

Space Freely

« Reply #8662 on: February 20, 2018, 10:32:25 pm »
Some people bring clothing in their suitcase. i brought back these:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfcSGErhHhF/

Unsanity

« Reply #8663 on: February 21, 2018, 03:23:11 am »

Tasty! Enough sour beer to pickle your innards!

Yada

« Reply #8664 on: February 21, 2018, 09:30:15 am »

You could have easily broken down the Space/Cost ratio to realize that you could've picked up those shelf turding Cascade sours at multiple places in DC. Should've double downed on De Garde and RR.

hutch

« Reply #8665 on: February 21, 2018, 09:58:30 am »
Oops!

Yada

« Reply #8666 on: February 21, 2018, 10:02:49 am »
Oops!

Not very savvy or thrifty of Mr. Space!

hutch

« Reply #8667 on: February 21, 2018, 10:07:52 am »
There is a pretty good SNL skit there somewhere....

Space Freely

« Reply #8668 on: February 21, 2018, 10:21:27 am »

You could have easily broken down the Space/Cost ratio to realize that you could've picked up those shelf turding Cascade sours at multiple places in DC. Should've double downed on De Garde and RR.

The Cascade Apricot was purchased *after* security at the airport. $22+no tax ($20 at the Barrel House) compared to $31+tax at my local Whole Foods. So it did not detract from Russian River or de Garde purchases. I should have bought more Cascade after security.

The Sang Noir was $25+ no tax, purchased at the Barrel House, which I'm guessing is significantly cheaper than any stores in this area. And I don't see it listed on Total Wine's website. So I'm not even sure that one, which was my favorite Cascade and better than the de Garde beers I drank from the tap, is available locally. And purchased *before* I knew for sure what they were going to have at de Garde (at the time, they were just listing four varieties of their Gose, and I'll take the Sang Noir over a gose any day.)

I do wish I had gotten more of the Russian River, but at the time I came across it, it was my first beer purchase, so I was saving myself for other possibilities. Plus, I wanted to leave one of each on the shelf for the next guy. I *did* pick up *three* Supplications and *two* Consecrations, they're just not all visible. As it turns out, I might have had room for a couple more bottles at the end, but I would have had to drive back to a grocery store in Portland after driving over a mountain through a blinding snowstorm in my Hyundai Accent rental, ignoring the flashing warnings to please have chain tires on your SUV just to get to de Garde. And even if I did go back to the grocery store, it's probable that they would have been sold out.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #8669 on: February 21, 2018, 10:22:26 am »
Maybe we could get Neil Young to play him!