Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3205693 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #8895 on: August 21, 2018, 10:17:39 am »
"a middle finger to the haze craze"

Come on, Stone. Give up and evolve. Or get left in the dust and turn into the next Green Flash.

*Stone 22nd Anniversary Anni-Matter DIPA 
Stone Brewing has spent over 20 years pursuing clean, bitter, hop forward beers. It would be passé to suggest this beer is simply another gigantically juicy and extremely complex Stone Double IPA. It’s a middle finger to the haze craze proving that clean, crisp IPA’s can still be smashed full of big, juicy, tropical flavor. It’s also the winner of our 2018 Spotlight Series contest, which pits teams of brewers against each other to see who can brew the best beer. Citrus takes the forefront, with plenty of fruit character to back it up. With incredible mouthfeel from the malted oats, the beer isn’t sweet at all, but its light amber color would make you think it is sweeter than it tastes. 9.1% ABV

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8896 on: August 21, 2018, 01:05:42 pm »
"a middle finger to the haze craze"

Come on, Stone. Give up and evolve. Or get left in the dust and turn into the next Green Flash.

to be fair, giving the middle finger is part of Stone's DNA.  "you're not worthy..."
<sig>

walkonbyeeeeeeeee

« Reply #8897 on: August 22, 2018, 02:59:14 pm »
so . . . I went back to Hopkins ordinary.  that, is all, I will say.

hutch

« Reply #8898 on: August 22, 2018, 03:33:10 pm »
I used to hang out in Sperryville.....

« Reply #8899 on: August 23, 2018, 12:17:47 am »
two new breweries (opening soon) in Silver Spring
astrolabbrewing.com
silverbranchbrewing.com

walking distance from FSS
slack

« Reply #8900 on: August 27, 2018, 04:45:17 pm »
We go to Fredericksburg once every couple of years to go tubing. There's never been a go to brewery there but i decided to do some research...it appeared that Red Dragon has some freakishly high scores on untappd for their fruited goses and some very good scores for their NEiPA's. I'm happy to report that the scores are well deserved.
I was passing through Fredericksburg this Sunday and decided to swing by and give Red Dragon a try
I had an Imperial IPA (in the NE vein) and a scrumptious stout
nice venue too
Would definitely go again
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #8901 on: August 28, 2018, 08:20:41 am »
We go to Fredericksburg once every couple of years to go tubing. There's never been a go to brewery there but i decided to do some research...it appeared that Red Dragon has some freakishly high scores on untappd for their fruited goses and some very good scores for their NEiPA's. I'm happy to report that the scores are well deserved.
I was passing through Fredericksburg this Sunday and decided to swing by and give Red Dragon a try
I had an Imperial IPA (in the NE vein) and a scrumptious stout
nice venue too
Would definitely go again

Which DIPA and stout did you have?

We went tubing (rough waters!) Saturday and stopped by Red Dragon. Had the Imperial Red (Passion Fruit/Raspberry) Gose (amazing), the Oat something DIPA, the DDH DIPA, and the cinnamon/vanilla stout (all very good). The maple/chocolate stout that was "on deck" sounded tasty.

I'd rank their fruited goses right there with the Joose stuff from the Answer, and above the goses/berliners from Veil or Aslin. The DIPA's aren't quite as good as Aslin or Veil, but they're very good and much better than some of the beers I've tasted that call themselves NEIPA's.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8902 on: August 28, 2018, 08:34:24 am »
Where are you all going tubing near Fredericksburg? Do you recall the name of the company its through?
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #8903 on: August 28, 2018, 08:45:39 am »
Where are you all going tubing near Fredericksburg? Do you recall the name of the company its through?

Virginia Outdoor Center

« Reply #8904 on: August 28, 2018, 08:55:53 am »

Which DIPA and stout did you have?

the Oat something DIPA and The maple/chocolate stout
I regret not trying the gose/Bwiess, but was driving so could only sample soo much
should have gotten a few crowlers...next time
Virginia Outdoor Center
Good tip and excuse to get down there with the family and 'oh look there is a brewery right by, let's just stop in for a pint :)"
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:58:52 am by SEA-hatch ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı »
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8905 on: August 28, 2018, 10:19:59 am »

Virginia Outdoor Center
Thanks!
LVMH

« Reply #8906 on: August 28, 2018, 04:11:45 pm »
If you grew up in the NY area...you know who fudgie the whale is (or is that universal?)

kinda sounds disgusting...but the kitsch factor will make it move
slack

« Reply #8907 on: August 29, 2018, 12:15:08 pm »
speaking of breweries and tubing
for $99 you get transport from downtown DC to Loudoun
3-hour river tubing experience down the beautiful Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers
BBQ lunch
a trip to Vanish Farmhouse Brewery and one free 5oz taster
then a trip back home

Groupon is doing this deal for $82 right now
https://www.groupon.com/deals/sourced-adventures-48
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:16:39 pm by SEA-hatch ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #8908 on: August 30, 2018, 02:00:37 pm »
Pretty stellar brewery list, might have to attend my first beer fest.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/41fc83_adc30c84c51549c6a9db959915de7811.pdf

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8909 on: August 31, 2018, 03:12:44 am »
that is an insane lineup.  not sure i've ever seen anything better.
<sig>