Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3207423 times)

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9120 on: January 22, 2019, 05:00:37 pm »
Dominion Wine and Beer ...tasty. And of course their beer list is the best in Fairfax County. 
Can confirm...was looking at their tap list the other day and it's got to be one of the best in the area

One of the only people to regularly get Aslin
but always have Commonwealth, Ocolet, Perennial, Crooked Run, Adriot, Tripple crossing, The veil, Prarie, Benchtop, Firestone Walker, all the Goose Island rare stuff on tap

wish everyone was using digital pour too...you can even tell how much is left in the keg and what is on deck (only on the app)
http://dominionwineandbeer.com/whats-on-tap-2/

I need to make it to the bar...have only gone to the bottle shop

Are you suggesting Aslin have two Alexandria locations?
Nope, just seems a shame that such a nice facility that is just a few blocks away won't be used by a brewery that produces awesome beer

Also just down the road and always a decent tap list and some killer grilled cheese
http://spcbr.com/  Spacebar...like it was named just for you!

it's by the galxy hut crew...so it's got that gritty old school Arlington feel
They will also let you take anything to go in a Mason Jar!
Sweets will like that as you can return it for your $1 back (or just keep it) instead of using a one time use Crowler
Don't know anyone else doing that
slack

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #9121 on: January 22, 2019, 06:30:19 pm »
I am not in the beer world. Nonetheless, I recently went to:

B.C. Brewery in Hunt Valley, MD (which is north of the 695 up 83 several miles.

It has a self-serve beer wall thing.

https://www.bcbrewerymd.com/pages/menus 

I drank:

Cucumber Melon Gose
Shake it Up! (Mango Milkshake) IPA
Creamsicle Shake IPA
Dry Hopped in A Pear Tree (Cider)
and a Flamingo something (i forget)

There was good Mac and Cheese and Chips/Salsa Verde from a food truck that is somehow affiliated.

The Cider and the Gose were good.

I recommend it for the Mac and Cheese and the Chips/Salsa. The beer is probably alright, but is lost on me.

Also, it's next to the McCormick spice-mill, so the neighborhood smells like whatever they are milling that day. My day seemed to be garlic.

https://youtu.be/17jAwZGvZ5s 

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #9122 on: January 25, 2019, 09:46:27 am »
So, whoever the distributor is that has the Bell's contract for central VA just sold to another distributor and apparently that distributor and the Bells guy have a long running beef since high school and the Bell dude refuses to sell them beer. Now my favorite watering holes can no longer get Two-Hearted. Julian has the sads.

Bells seems to have alot of beefs...first chicago, now this.
Same dude he beefed with in Chicago. Blood feud.

Article behind paywall so I'll c&p:

"In Virginia, once a brewery signs an agreement with a wholesaler, unless there's a termination, the contract is in place for forever," said Thomas A. Lisk, an attorney for Bell's Brewing and a lobbyist for the Virginia Restaurant, Lodging and Travel Association. "Basically, it’s marriage for life."

When Premium Distributors of Virginia - a division of the nation's largest beer distributor, Illinois-based Reyes Holdings - acquired Loveland - a local, family-run distributor - it also acquired Loveland's distribution territory and its regional distribution contracts with brands, including Miller, Coors, Guinness, Corona and more than 25 craft beers, including Bell's.

Bell's has been trying to get out of its contract since two days before the sale officially closed, according to filings obtained by the Richmond Times-Dispatch. It's not the first time Bell's has left a market to avoid working with Reyes. Bell's stopped distribution in Illinois for about two years in 2006 when National Wine & Spirits Inc., tried to sell the rights to distribute his beer to Chicago Beverage Systems, another subsidiary of Reyes Holdings.

Bell said in 2006 he feared the large distributor would ignore his beers in favor of bigger brands. The transaction was allowed under Illinois' Beer Industry Fair Dealing Act. So Bell's pulled out of the area and was only able to distribute in Illinois once National Wine & Spirits Inc. left the state.

It's unclear how long Bell's could be unavailable in Richmond.

As part of its attempt to end the contract, Bell's sent Loveland a state-required notice on Dec. 5 alleging that Loveland hadn't fully complied with its contractual requirement to share all documents related to the sale.

"[Loveland provided] the brewery with a copy of the purchase agreement and exhibits between Loveland and Premium, but Loveland did not provide copies of any of the schedules to the purchase agreement despite Bell’s repeated requests for the same," Lisk said. "If you don’t give us the documents, how do we know if the new distributor is going to be sufficient for our business purposes?"

But Loveland and Premium don't want to let Bell's out of its contract, alleging in a complaint with the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority that Bell's is in violation of the Virginia Beer Franchise Act, Virginia's version of the Illinois's beer act . In its complaint, a copy of which was obtained by the Richmond Times-Dispatch, Loveland and Premium argue that Bell's products represent "a significant portion of Loveland's beer sales" and that Bell's has failed to "present 'good cause' for its termination of the Distributor Agreement," a requirement of the Virginia Beer Franchise Act.

The distributors argue they've provided Bell's with extensive documentation surrounding the sale and have offered to send more.

"A general understanding of the Act’s requirements is that under that Act, a brewery may not terminate a distributor agreement unless good cause exists. Good cause can simply mean failing to comply with the distributor agreement without justification or reasonable excuse," said Brian Cafritz, an attorney with KPM Law who specializes in retail and restaurant litigation.

Now Bell's beer availability in Richmond is contingent on a not-yet-scheduled hearing before Virginia ABC. Until then, no new kegs or cases will be shipped to the Richmond market.

Bell's estimates the Richmond area market - and everything within the Loveland distribution territory - extending from Caroline County to the north, to near the North Carolina border to the south, Goochland County to the west, to James City County to the east - will represent a loss of about 60,000 cases of beer a year for the brewery.

"We really enjoyed selling beer in Richmond – it’s a really good market for us and we are sad not to be there," said Larry Bell, founder and president of Bell's Brewing. "They’re a $33 billion company. This is small potatoes for them; it’s a big deal for us."

Premium Distributors declined to comment for this story, citing pending litigation in a statement through its attorney.

A spokesperson for Virginia ABC said "the matter is still in the scheduling stage and ABC is waiting for the parties to provide necessary information." Once the hearing is set, it could be months or weeks before a decision is made. That could be followed by an an appeals process, Lisk said.

In the meantime, Richmond area beer drinkers are starting to notice that the Bell's isn't being resupplied.

"Two-Hearted was in the top five beers sold at most of our locations," said Matthew Simmons, president of Capital Ale House restaurants, which has three Richmond-area location and is known for its vast beer lists. "People are sad for sure. A couple locations stockpiled some Two Hearted when they heard it was going away but they will run out this week."
LVMH

« Reply #9123 on: January 25, 2019, 10:00:54 am »
well I'd be happy to work out a trade for the 2Hearted
you get me a case of The Veil and I'll trade for a case of 2heart
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #9127 on: January 25, 2019, 11:08:27 am »
Am I crazy or has double two-hearted not happened before? I feel like I definitely had this like two years ago.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 11:10:06 am by Julian, Semi-Retired WUNDERKIND »
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #9128 on: January 25, 2019, 12:12:01 pm »
Am I crazy or has double two-hearted not happened before? I feel like I definitely had this like two years ago.

It has, but only at the brewery. This will be the first time for distribution. Or at least that's what I think I read.

« Reply #9129 on: January 25, 2019, 12:52:16 pm »

It has, but only at the brewery. This will be the first time for distribution. Or at least that's what I think I read.
No, I definitely did not have it at the brewery. It was on tap at my local watering hole. I remember it distinctly because my buddy and I kept making Four Hearted jokes.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #9130 on: January 25, 2019, 02:02:56 pm »

No, I definitely did not have it at the brewery. It was on tap at my local watering hole. I remember it distinctly because my buddy and I kept making Four Hearted jokes.

Tell us one of the jokes.

« Reply #9131 on: January 25, 2019, 02:06:11 pm »
“Bill Brasky had a Four Hearted like this once and then dropped over dead from a sixteen-day-long heart attack — one for every chamber. To Bill Brasky!”
LVMH

« Reply #9132 on: January 25, 2019, 10:20:22 pm »
sungazer - charles towne fermentory
Delightful
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #9133 on: January 29, 2019, 10:20:49 pm »
sungazer - charles towne fermentory
Delightful

Indeed it is. And they take it to a whole other level when they add lactose to it and make Creamsicle Sungazer. We brought back cans of each from our Florida/South Carolina road trip last Spring Break and that was a beer stash that I wanted to last forever.

Space Freely

« Reply #9134 on: January 30, 2019, 01:20:00 pm »
Deal of the week at P St Whole Foods...64 oz growler fill of Abraxas for $20.

22 oz bottle is $25.

$14 for a 32 oz fill if you don't want 64 oz.