Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3204746 times)

vansmack

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9315 on: May 30, 2019, 09:26:42 pm »
Normally, when I got to Maui, I drink copious amount of Bikini Blondes.  And a few beers.

But this time, they have a collaboration  called Star Maps Kolsch, a collaboration between them and Smog City Brewery.  Solid.  Made with local Starfruit but not sweet.

Welcome to the 'ohana.
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #9316 on: May 30, 2019, 09:29:03 pm »
Anyone got any “you must try this” beers in Asheville that are IPAs or stouts?
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #9317 on: May 31, 2019, 08:59:45 am »

I haven't kept close track of the Asheville beer scene since we were there two years ago, but my best guess is that Burial is the place to go for the best IPA's and probably stouts as well. No idea how much they distribute beyond the brewery itself. *Note: We didn't actually go there, but I wish we had.

If you find yourself hankering for a wild ale, Wicked Weed Funkatorium is probably still the place to go, even if it is owned by AB InBev.

I think there's lots of beer places in Asheville, but many are mediocre. I might even rate Richmond higher than Asheville at this point.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #9318 on: May 31, 2019, 11:04:02 am »

I haven't kept close track of the Asheville beer scene since we were there two years ago, but my best guess is that Burial is the place to go for the best IPA's and probably stouts as well. No idea how much they distribute beyond the brewery itself. *Note: We didn't actually go there, but I wish we had.

If you find yourself hankering for a wild ale, Wicked Weed Funkatorium is probably still the place to go, even if it is owned by AB InBev.

I think there's lots of beer places in Asheville, but many are mediocre. I might even rate Richmond higher than Asheville at this point.
Thanks, man! Done Wicked Weed before, not my thing. Might see a concert there, though.
LVMH

« Reply #9319 on: May 31, 2019, 01:56:04 pm »
made it longer than Sehkraft brewery

Not sure this is any good, but there must have been $500k in brewing equipment in there...so I'm glad to see that it's getting used
 Board Room Brewing Arlington, VA
https://theboardroomva.com/draft-beers/

on an related note....is there something up with search and you can't go that far back anymore?
I know there were posts about Sehkraft and Westover market...but I couldn't find any
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #9320 on: May 31, 2019, 02:12:19 pm »

Thanks, man! Done Wicked Weed before, not my thing. Might see a concert there, though.

It should be noted that Wicked Weed and Wicked Weed Fermatorium are two different places. Different beer, different vibe.

The former has a variety of beer styles, and a more touristy atmosphere (there is a basement that's a little more beer geeky). . We didn't really care for this place.

The latter is more laid back vibe and almost entirely sours. More small plate kind of foods. We did like it there but if sours aren't your thing, it's a big skip.

« Reply #9321 on: May 31, 2019, 02:35:49 pm »
New Beligum's brewery is in a pretty sweet location and typically have decent to really good stuff on tap
Right on the creek/bike path with tons of outdoor shaded seating
dog and Frisbee friendly
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #9322 on: May 31, 2019, 03:11:12 pm »
New Beligum's brewery is in a pretty sweet location and typically have decent to really good stuff on tap
Right on the creek/bike path with tons of outdoor shaded seating
dog and Frisbee friendly

What he said.

I didn't mention it because, well it's New Belgium and you can get all the beers anywhere. Free La Folie on the tour? Hell yeah. I loved the location (like the Fort Collins location too), loved the people and the vibe. Even more than Sierra Nevada, which gets all the attention (and is a fun destination too, though it's not in Asheville).

« Reply #9323 on: June 05, 2019, 12:22:20 pm »
snallygaster 2019 goes on sale tomorrow...this year no tokens, unlimited servings
$50 2-6 PM Regular pass
$100 12-6PM VIP (two hour early entry)

also

https://www.dcbeer.com/event/owens-ordinary-welcomes-sapwood-cellars/
Owen’s Ordinary Welcomes Sapwood Cellars!
June 6 @ 5:00 pm - 11:30 pm

Join Owen’s Ordinary on Thursday, June 6th as we welcome our friends at Sapwood Cellars. On this night, we’ll pour 6 different beers from the exciting young brewery out of Columbia, MD.

Opened in September 2018, Sapwood Cellars is a buzz worthy brewery focusing on hoppy beers and acidic ales. Rarely available outside of their tasting room, don’t miss your chance to see what local beer geeks have been raving about!

Highlights from the list include Meltdown Mango, a Mango Sour IPA hopped with Simcoe and Amarillo; and Salzig, a mixed fermentation Gose fermented with Brettanomyces found in a 25-year-old bottle of Wilhelm Berliner Weisse.

There is no admission fee for this event.
THE OFFICIAL SAPWOOD CELLARS DRAFT LIST
– Cheater Hops #7 (IPA w/ Simcoe, Citra & Mosaic)
– Cedar Hops (Spanish Cedar-Aged IPA w/ Simcoe, Citra & Mosaic)
– Dragon Reborn (Rye Pale Ale w/ Conan, Hallertau Blanc & Mosaic)
– Hoppy Red Ale (Amber Ale w/ Denali & Citra)
– Meltdown Mango (Sour IPA w/ Mango)
– Salzig (Mixed Fermentation Gose)
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9324 on: June 07, 2019, 02:16:13 pm »
mo' good insight into the complexities of running a brewery.  today's headache: hop contracts.

Join the beer business they said. It’ll be fun they said. - Part 1

(AKA "why don't you brew more of that award-winning IPA; and when you finally do, why do i have to go all the way to the brewery to get any?")
<sig>

« Reply #9325 on: June 07, 2019, 02:33:10 pm »
so what your saying is I should open a Hop farm...as that's where the big demand is
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #9326 on: June 07, 2019, 03:00:16 pm »
so what your saying is I should open a Hop farm...as that's where the big demand is

My brother quit his government job in Seattle with big plans to start a hop farm in upstate New York. He now works in an auto parts factory, growing enough hops for his homebrews and his donation to some collective that allows him to get some mediocre beer.

« Reply #9327 on: June 07, 2019, 03:15:22 pm »

My brother quit his government job in Seattle with big plans to start a hop farm in upstate New York. He now works in an auto parts factory, growing enough hops for his homebrews and his donation to some collective that allows him to get some mediocre beer.
hmm....maybe I should then become the Hop broker...that's where the money is according to this article

I remember reading that Virginia (or Loudoun co)was talking about getting something passed for tax incentives to encourage more hops grown in VA, but couldn't find any news of it online
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9328 on: June 07, 2019, 03:59:19 pm »

nah - in a few years, we'll be reading blog post from hop farmers saying "everyone wanted hop X and Y, so i planted 1,000 acres of X and Y.  and now that the plants have finally reached their full productive capacity the market has moved and everyone wants different hops!  i need to run these fields for 10 years before i get a return on my investment, and it's only been 4 or 5 and i'm being asked to rip everything out ans start over!!!"
<sig>

lily1

« Reply #9329 on: June 09, 2019, 12:47:37 pm »
I've got to be in Milwaukee in late September. I think I'll have a Thursday afternoon free and a Sunday afternoon free.  I'd like check out some of the (smaller) breweries there. You gang have a couple of favorites I can put on the list? Must be uber friendly as I won't have a car.