Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182321 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #990 on: January 12, 2012, 02:22:17 am »
quick update on my homebrewing situation:

How to brew is the best resource you can use to start. 

i read that, and charles papazian's "the complete joy of homebrewing" - i thought the latter was slightly better and easier to get through.  for a first book, "how to brew" got a tad too detailed at times.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/ is a great forum, every question i've ever had has been answered at some point on this forum.

i've killed soooo many hours on that site over the past few weeks.  there is just so much to learn about brewing. 

Theres a home brew store in Falls Church (MLHBS) which is very helpful as well.  You could go in there and walk out with ingredients to start brewing right away. 

awesome, thanks for the input.  i will definitely have to swing by MLHBS (might even go tonight).  there is also The Flying Barrel in frederick that i've heard good things about. 

my first trip to purchase equipment was to MyLHBS in falls church.  the guys there were incredibly nice but a little dismissive.  having read tons and spoken with several people i knew exactly what i wanted to buy, but they were intent on steering me towards a plastic pail kit with somewhat cheap equipment.  it was weird - they were discouraging me from spending more money on fancier gear.  in the end their credit card machine didn't work, and it was late on a saturday (the staff were actively shutting down the store while i was trying to shop), so i left without buying anything.  wasn't the best way to start but i get where they were coming from: i'm sure they've seen a million noobs get in over their heads, so they were trying to "protect me from myself".  i appreciated the concern but it was misplaced. 

anyhoo, the next day i drove up to the flying barrel in frederick.  the place was at least 5 times bigger, huge selection, and much less crowded.  they let me putz around for an hour and answered all my questions before i bought anything.  another big plus for the FB was that they sell both grains and liquid malt extract in bulk.  bought all the equipment i need and ingredients for my first 2 batches.   unfortunately due to upcoming travel i won't be able to brew for another 2 weeks or so.  dangit.

i love the homebrew culture.  every single person i've met has been relaxed, welcoming, and willing to share their knowledge*.  i guess enough alcohol does that to a person ;D

*they have also all been bearded.  i'm learning that you can't be taken seriously as a brewer without copious facial hair.

best tip, which is commonly passed along for people starting off is, "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew". 

amen.
<sig>

Stillwater

« Reply #991 on: January 12, 2012, 03:30:06 am »
Really enjoyed this offering at Pizzeria Paradiso in G'town on Saturday.  Get it while you can......

Stillwater Artisanal Ales & DC Brau's NATAS Collaboration Beer - NATAS is a Belgian Style Imperial Porter brewed with a traditional high gravity Abbey yeast. At first glance this brew is pitch black in the glass, with wafting aroma's of burnt sugar and caramelized fruit. The mouthfeel is silky smooth with hints of cocoa. It has a gentle, warming phenolic character that begs for a follow up inquiry. The hops are used to balance this brew and lend a subtle complexity. The dark lord himself would be proud to serve this hellish offering to his legions of demonic minions.

VITAL STATISTICS
Style: Belgian-Style Imperial Porter
Color: Midnight Black
ABV: 7.5%
Serving type: Draft-Only........Availability: Limited Release - December 2011........
description pulled from the "dc brau" site

That's pretty cool that they named a beer after the 930 forum's fantasy football champion...

stevewizzle

« Reply #992 on: January 12, 2012, 12:59:36 pm »
quick update on my homebrewing situation:

Fantastic! I was wondering if this was going to get buried and never heard from again.

i read that, and charles papazian's "the complete joy of homebrewing" - i thought the latter was slightly better and easier to get through.  for a first book, "how to brew" got a tad too detailed at times.

The "other" bible.  My first brew was from this book, and concur that it's easier to get through.  How to brew is better for detailed answers on processes, and Charlie's book is best for complete overview.  Follow him on twitter, he always has real brief articles he writes about simple, but important topics.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/ is a great forum, every question i've ever had has been answered at some point on this forum.

i've killed soooo many hours on that site over the past few weeks.  there is just so much to learn about brewing. 

The thing I enjoy most is the common understanding that everyone does things a little bit different.  I've learned countless small improvements from this site.  Primary for 3 weeks for an IPA and dry hop, no secondary clarification? Why not!

my first trip to purchase equipment was to MyLHBS in falls church.  the guys there were incredibly nice but a little dismissive.  having read tons and spoken with several people i knew exactly what i wanted to buy, but they were intent on steering me towards a plastic pail kit with somewhat cheap equipment.  it was weird - they were discouraging me from spending more money on fancier gear.  in the end their credit card machine didn't work, and it was late on a saturday (the staff were actively shutting down the store while i was trying to shop), so i left without buying anything.  wasn't the best way to start but i get where they were coming from: i'm sure they've seen a million noobs get in over their heads, so they were trying to "protect me from myself".  i appreciated the concern but it was misplaced. 

anyhoo, the next day i drove up to the flying barrel in frederick.  the place was at least 5 times bigger, huge selection, and much less crowded.  they let me putz around for an hour and answered all my questions before i bought anything.  another big plus for the FB was that they sell both grains and liquid malt extract in bulk.  bought all the equipment i need and ingredients for my first 2 batches.   unfortunately due to upcoming travel i won't be able to brew for another 2 weeks or so.  dangit.

i love the homebrew culture.  every single person i've met has been relaxed, welcoming, and willing to share their knowledge*.  i guess enough alcohol does that to a person ;D

*they have also all been bearded.  i'm learning that you can't be taken seriously as a brewer without copious facial hair.

Ahhh MyLHBS.  I've learned to love their quirky approach to running that shop.  Saturday is a brutal day for them, especially towards the end of the day. For me - The reason I give them business, is when you're shopping, you can tell they are making sure what you're doing makes sense.  They are going through the steps in there head, making sure the ingredients, the hops, the yeast, the malts all are there and make sense together.  I asked for 3# of crystal malt from them, and they immediately stopped me and said "for one brew?", and that's where we clarified that it's two brews and some will be left over.  Small things like that are appreciated.

Good to hear about the Frederick store, I've never been up there.  Will have to check it out shortly.  What did you brew for your first two?  Sounds like you peiced together all the ingredients yourself, which is the best way to do it.  We are also on a brewing hold, switching apartments, so it'll be another month before we get something fermenting.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:08:30 pm by stevewizzle »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #993 on: January 12, 2012, 03:09:48 pm »
What did you brew for your first two?  Sounds like you peiced together all the ingredients yourself, which is the best way to do it.  We are also on a brewing hold, switching apartments, so it'll be another month before we get something fermenting.

all that purchasing went down just last weekend and i got back home from frederick too late to start so i haven't brewed anything yet.  i travel for work monday-thursday so my brewing has to happen on weekends.  next weekend i won't be coming home at all so i'll be away for 11 days, so i can't brew this weekend either.  i won't be able to start my first batch until after thursday 1/26.  it's killing me to know that everything is waiting at home for me, but i can't touch it... grr.  i was hoping to have something ready for my super bowl party but that won't happen.

my chosen first brew will be will be inspired by [edit] papazian's "who's the in garden grand cru" (an all-extract clone of hoegaarden's grand cru).  it calls for a few fancy ingredients but is no more complicated than any other all-extract recipe - in other words, a good (and hopefully tasty!) place to start.  second batch will be a belgian strong ale (OG listed at 1.083, but i might trim back a little).  it's a pre-boil crystal + extract recipe that i found online. 

lemme know if you're swinging by rockville any time late february onwards, you'd be most welcome to come over for a tasting ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 12:01:10 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #994 on: January 12, 2012, 03:44:41 pm »
i feel as though i stepped into a bad pbs episode of . . . "this old brew."

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #995 on: January 12, 2012, 04:02:16 pm »
come over to the dark side, walkies... we have beer ;D
<sig>

Unsanity

« Reply #996 on: January 13, 2012, 03:28:15 am »
I just tried out the Starr Hill Monticello Reserve. Very fragrant but I did enjoy it.

brennser

« Reply #997 on: January 13, 2012, 09:40:12 am »
Hopslam on draft and cask @churchkey Jan 31

Worth the heaving crowds and frenzy: probably not

James Ford

« Reply #998 on: January 13, 2012, 09:53:42 am »
In other words...

See you there?

brennser

« Reply #999 on: January 13, 2012, 11:14:50 am »
most likely not - I love me some hopslam but that whole leave work at 3.30, to get there by 4 to get 1 glass of it before it kicks at 4.15 kinda thing is getting a little old - or maybe I'm just getting old  :D

In other words...

See you there?

James Ford

« Reply #1000 on: January 13, 2012, 11:21:25 am »
Plus, it's fairly readily available on draft elsewhere at later dates.
I had it at two separate locations last year with no crowds and could have had more...

most likely not - I love me some hopslam but that whole leave work at 3.30, to get there by 4 to get 1 glass of it before it kicks at 4.15 kinda thing is getting a little old - or maybe I'm just getting old  :D

In other words...

See you there?

shemptiness

« Reply #1001 on: January 18, 2012, 05:39:06 pm »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1002 on: January 18, 2012, 06:00:19 pm »
America's 100 Best Beer Bars

people go to bars for beer?  how odd.  i just drink it at home and save the trip, the money, the hassle of annoying people staring at you or thinking you are staring at them, music i don't want to listen to, a bathroom that is horrible, and having them throw me out for breaking out a joint.

Yada

« Reply #1003 on: January 18, 2012, 06:03:12 pm »
America's 100 Best Beer Bars

people go to bars for beer?  how odd.  i just drink it at home and save the trip, the money, the hassle of annoying people staring at you or thinking you are staring at them, music i don't want to listen to, a bathroom that is horrible, and having them throw me out for breaking out a joint.

You're fun, partner.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1004 on: January 18, 2012, 06:06:28 pm »
i'll rock . . . your underworld.