Author Topic: Andrew Bird/ St. Vincent  (Read 6926 times)

runwhiteyrun06

Andrew Bird/ St. Vincent
« on: October 26, 2009, 10:17:58 pm »
So who is going? Does anyone know the set times?

I haven't been this excited for a show in a long time. Both Bird and St. Vincent are wonderful and I'm curious to see if they do any collaborations Wednesday night.

Vas Deferens

Re: Andrew Bird/ St. Vincent
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 11:04:39 pm »
there were collaborations during the last 3 shows:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/andrew-bird-43d69b6f.html
(_|_)

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 11:37:24 pm »
Wow, the Electric Factory setlist is epic. The song choices for collaborations are especially awesome.

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 01:13:27 pm »
Bump.

Set Times:

7:00 Doors
8:00 St. Vincent
9:15 Andrew Bird

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 01:16:04 am »
Sadly, no one else has posted in this thread. But, Great show tonight. St.Vincent was pretty good, but they still need to work on becoming a bit more interesting live. Andrew Bird was borderline phenomenal, tonight was the second time I've seen him and it exceeded the first by far. (Opening for the Decemberists at Merriweather). Anyone else think Andrew Bird and Annie Clark are an item? They seemed pretty cozy on stage.  If anyone finds a bootleg, please let me know.

The 9:30 cupcakes are awesome btw.

Setlists:

St. Vincent:

The Strangers
Laughing with a mouth full of Blood
Actor out of Work
Now, Now
The Party
Black Rainbow
Marrow
Your Lips are Red

Andrew Bird:

Instrumental
Why?
Masterswarm
Opposite Day
A Nervous Tic Motion
Fitz and the Dizzyspells
Headsoak
On Ho!
Oh No
Effigy
Anonanimal
Instrumental (Complete with one Roadie Dancing on stage)
Imitosis
Cataracts
Lusitania w/ Annie Clark
Scythian Empires w/ St. Vincent
Tables and Chairs

Oh Sister   (Bob Dylan)
I'm Going Home  (Charlie Patton Cover)

Don't be Scared
Fake Palindromes
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:18:38 am by runwhiteyrun06 »

James Ford

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 08:09:38 am »
I bet this show would sound great streaming on NPR.

But being there, what a fucking bore. While both are good songwriters and musicians who put out good albums, for me they both lack personality and stage presence. And interesting guitar playing. Guitar distortion (in St. Vincent's case) and fiddling and whistling (in Bird's case) can only carry a song so far, and after awhile too much of it gets annoying.

Second straight Bird show I left before the end, ten years apart.

Any guesses on what each performer weighs? I'll bet Annie Clark is under 100, and Bird under 130. Geez, eat some food.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 08:26:05 am by James Ford »

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 09:22:52 am »
Sadly the thread generated as little energy as either performer does on stage.

I rather like St. Vincent, though.  And, yeah, Annie should try a couple cupcakes next time she's at the club.

MonkeyPants

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 09:42:37 am »
Sadly, no one else has posted in this thread. But, Great show tonight. St.Vincent was pretty good, but they still need to work on becoming a bit more interesting live. Andrew Bird was borderline phenomenal, tonight was the second time I've seen him and it exceeded the first by far. (Opening for the Decemberists at Merriweather). Anyone else think Andrew Bird and Annie Clark are an item? They seemed pretty cozy on stage.  If anyone finds a bootleg, please let me know.

The 9:30 cupcakes are awesome btw.

Setlists:

St. Vincent:

The Strangers
Laughing with a mouth full of Blood
Actor out of Work
Now, Now
The Party
Black Rainbow
Marrow
Your Lips are Red

Andrew Bird:

Instrumental
Why?
Masterswarm
Opposite Day
A Nervous Tic Motion
Fitz and the Dizzyspells
Headsoak
On Ho!
Oh No
Effigy
Anonanimal
Instrumental (Complete with one Roadie Dancing on stage)
Imitosis
Cataracts
Lusitania w/ Annie Clark
Scythian Empires w/ St. Vincent
Tables and Chairs

Oh Sister   (Bob Dylan)
I'm Going Home  (Charlie Patton Cover)

Don't be Scared
Fake Palindromes

St. Vincent also played Save Me From What I Want - I can't remember if it was right before or right after Actor Out of Work.  I have the set list at home.   She sounds great live, but this was probably my least favorite performance of hers that I've seen.  I agree that she is lacking in stage presence.

But she was great with Bird, and I totally disagree about Bird on his own.  It is totally fascinating watching and listening to him bring a piece to life.  Maybe it's because I've never been in the back for any of his performances, and I just find him captivating.  Scythian Empire with St. Vincent was really amazing, too.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I don't think they're an item.  Just tour mates who admire each other ;)
PANTS

azaghal1981

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 11:08:18 am »
Speaking of the cupcakes, I had one last night that seemed to come straight out of the fridge. This made it infinitely better and more manageable. If anyone from the kitchen staff is reading this, thanks. And you should do that way more often.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 11:22:37 am by azaghal1981 »
احمد

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 11:30:12 am »
I agree that St. Vincent sounded great, but was kind of boring live. However, I don't agree that Bird was boring. He had my attention the whole time. There's just so much going on musically that I cannot find it boring.

James Ford

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 01:00:45 pm »
I agree that St. Vincent sounded great, but was kind of boring live. However, I don't agree that Bird was boring. He had my attention the whole time. There's just so much going on musically that I cannot find it boring.

I agree that there was a whole lot going on musically, and for me that would make it interesting to listen to.

But interesting to watch? That's a different story. There were four guys playing instruments. Thanks to tapes and loops and whatnot, there was more than four things going on at once. That might make it interesting to listen to, but visually, it's actually rather disconcerting to me.

And Bird himself offered little to no personality with his minimal between song banter and stories. He just seems sort of meek and a tad pretentious.

Plus, I tend to like to watch performers who are interesting to look at. Not necessarily good looking,but interesting to look at. To me, Bird is short, scrawny, has bad hair, and is not interesting to watch. St. Vincent is pretty, but she's boring to look at as well. And none of their sidemen were at all interesting to watch. (mind you, I couldn't see Marin Dosh, so can't comment on him)

And all that whistling and fiddling is just not all that interesting to watch, when it's all that's going on.. I'd rather much watch Nels Cline play guitar.

eltee

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 02:27:45 pm »
just reading your post made me sleepy.

James Ford

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 02:38:10 pm »
just reading your post made me sleepy.

Not as sleepy as the sleepiness induced by 60 minutes of (watching) Andrew Bird whistling.   ;)

hemisphire

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 04:35:07 pm »
At ACL I gave him two songs before heading over to watch the rest of TCV's set.

eltee

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 05:57:52 pm »
C'mon, now, that's not a fair fight!  :P