Author Topic: High Dials/The Receiver/Self Servants tonight at Velvet Lounge  (Read 3408 times)

snailhook

High Dials/The Receiver/Self Servants tonight at Velvet Lounge
« on: October 29, 2009, 05:36:33 am »
Seeing the High Dials live is essential for any fan of Rubber Soul/Revolver-inspired late '60s psych-pop. The Receiver's brand of dark, driving post-rock ain't too shabby either.  Opening is the debut of Self Servants, Peter Hayes' new band (High Back Chairs/Spoils of NW/Pussy Galore).

Thursday, October 29
Velvet Lounge
915 U St NW WDC
http://www.velvetloungedc.com
202-462-3213
$8, doors at 8:30pm, 18+

The High Dials (Montreal psych-pop)
http://www.thehighdials.com/
http://www.myspace.com/thehighdials

The Receiver (atmospheric post-rock from Columbus)
http://www.thereceiverband.com/
http://www.myspace.com/thereceiver

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: High Dials/The Receiver/Self Servants tonight at Velvet Lounge
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 08:08:14 am »
Damn I wish I could see this.  HIgh Dials are great live.  Haven't heard the new album yet though or seen them since they replaced their bass player.  Can anyone comment on either?

brennser

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 09:02:53 am »
what are the set times? i might try to swing by after FOTL if timing works

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 09:18:16 am »
that's also my plan, but doesn't look like it's going to happen given RnR's delayed start times lately. 8:30 pm to them is more like closer to 9, so FOTL will likely go on at 11 (High Dials around 11:30 maybe?).

as for FOTL, they have yet to wow me in a live setting. The vocals seem to be less aggressive live compared to the recorded output...

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 10:38:37 am by Hello Sunshine M! »
(_|_)

brennser

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 09:23:09 am »
we've had this debate a million times before on the board but I wonder if some of what you're missing in FOTL live is down to the crowd - given the music they play I would think they may feed off crowd energy a lot and that is something thats usually distinctly lacking at DC area shows

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 10:15:14 am »
Damn I wish I could see this.  HIgh Dials are great live.  Haven't heard the new album yet though or seen them since they replaced their bass player.  Can anyone comment on either?

It's more of the same of what you would expect from The High Dials. In a good way. Very clean, professional and enjoyable in that Retro Jangel Pop (less Pop) way. I have some of it airing on Air Atlantic Underground Radio.

Unfortunately, it's impossible for me to make this show. Will certainly miss the boys. Snail, please give Robbie and Trevor my apologies.

I really do miss Rhishi being in the band though.

redsock

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 11:13:18 am »
I think the High Dials and Wooden Shjips have a lot in common in the psych dept. But where WS goes garage/punk with their guitars, the HDs go 60's pop. Both very enjoyable, but I haven't seen the HD's since rhishi left. I'm sure the band is tired of hearing of that, but he did have a big influence on their sound. And their live show.

azaghal1981

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 01:20:53 pm »
as for FOTL, they have yet to wow me in a live setting. The vocals seem to be less aggressive live compared to the recorded output...

This recent recording I have of them opening for The Jesus Lizard showcases the vocals quite nicely. And they sound just as strong as they do on disc.
احمد

snailhook

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 03:11:00 pm »
set times tonight will probably be:

9:30: self servants
10:30: the receiver
11:30: the high dials

the high dials sound just fine without rishi, though as jaguar said, he certainly contributed greatly in the live department. no more sitar. still, that was gimmicky, albeit a cool gimmick.

i don't think wooden shjips and the high dials have much in common other than being different arms of the psych-rock beast. the shjips are firmly entrenched in spacemen 3/loop krauty repetition and mind pulverization. high dials are generally pretty sunny psych-pop, more like olivia tremor control or apples in stereo's early stuff.

azaghal1981

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 03:21:18 pm »
Hmm both shows could be doable.

I doubt FOTL will play for longer than 45-50 minutes.
احمد

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 04:14:42 pm »
i don't think wooden shjips and the high dials have much in common other than being different arms of the psych-rock beast. the shjips are firmly entrenched in spacemen 3/loop krauty repetition and mind pulverization. high dials are generally pretty sunny psych-pop, more like olivia tremor control or apples in stereo's early stuff.

I agree with this. In a smackdown, Wooden Shjips would kick The High Dials asses; however, The High Dials would be nice and safe to take home to Mom without faking it with some boyscout props. Not saying that one is musically better than the other at all because that wouldn't be true. Both, as Snail said, venture into Psychedelic Wonderland but within totally different parts of the park.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 10:53:53 am »
how was the show?
did they do "Real Men Hunt in Packs"?  (doubt it...)

we've had this debate a million times before on the board but I wonder if some of what you're missing in FOTL live is down to the crowd - given the music they play I would think they may feed off crowd energy a lot and that is something thats usually distinctly lacking at DC area shows
(_|_)